Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 22:28   #31

Boat: St Francis 50
Just for fun here's a photo of our 2007 Antares 44i "Indigo" on route to Mexico (the easy way ).
Paul and Maureen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiedalongside1.jpg
Views:	1677
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	8883  
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:27   #32

Great Pic! Thanks Paul and Maureen!

San Francisco eh? I lived in the east bay for a number of years. Sure would love to hear your thoughts on the Anteres 44i from an actual owner! Welcome to this thread!

David
KairosKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:40   #33

According to Hall Spars the minimum after a lightning strike is to tap the entire spar but it is best to do ultra sound. The damage may not be visable. There is no more or less likelyhood the carbon spar will hit then an aluminum spar, just different results.

The comment about shards is from racing buddies, if the spar comes apart and you get sprayed the doctors can't find the slivers with x-ray. Do they work there way out, maybe, maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Can you reference any documented cases of C-F masts being damaged in a way that can't be detected? I suspect that's urban legend.

As for shards, again highly unlikely -- can you point to a case of anyone actually being injured by shards from C-F resulting from a mast failure?

As for shards not showing up in an X-ray? It's black. You can see it with your eyes. No different than wood splinters, and probably even more visible. Definitely easier to spot than fiberglass splinters.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:06   #34

Hi mdsilver, are you getting a new 44i? the Standard rig seems ok, I am just worried that I will have to motor or very slow passages in light winds (would love to have the Cat with a top cruising speed of 16knots (better is fun but 14-16 is nice for long passages)).

What made you skip the 2005? I keep looking daily but the truth is I am at least 2-3 years away (probably 8 but I hate to admit it) The idea is to get the Cat a couple years before I retiree (10.5 years and counting down).

Does anyone know if the 2 aft seats (by the table) do the cushions come of and are there storage compartements under? I need to figure out where to put a rinse tank and dive lockers as my plan is to have 2 rebreathers.
peter.bomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:44   #35

Boat: PDQ Antares 44
Peter,

There is a large compartment under the cockpit floor, which you can see in one of the technical videos onthe website.

See Antares Cruising Catamaran sailing and orientation videos and play the video entitled "Cockpit compartment".

This or one of the aft lockers might be suitable for your needs.
gholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:44   #36

As a admirer of the Antares I had a chance to get a tour when I saw one at the fuel dock. The captain wasn't the owner but worked for Bob Crandall who was the CEO of American Airline. This british captain used to deliver Oysters to the US and he had nothing but great things to say. The boat was gorgeous. Martin was a real character - he wasn't too keen when he found out that his boss was selling the Oyster for an Antares, but now describes himself as a catamaran convert. The only thing I didn't care for was the green colored hull...as a Floridian I prefer white.
Song of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:36   #37

Hi gholmes, I like the compartment under the cockpit floor, my question is what is in the seats (as I would like to sue that space too

I agree there may be space in the aft locker but I am not certain (but then it's still a dream)
Old 09-07-2009, 17:48   #38

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.R.Hathaway View Post
With boats like Gunboat in the market place, I would not suggest for a minute that the Antares is a performance catamaran. However, on a 2-day delivery with full fuel, water and piles of stores - not to mention 5 crew members, we maintained speeds between 9.5 to 10.5 knots in 16/18 knots of wind. Judging by all the positive response by everyone on board, it is difficult to call it a slow boat!
That is very good. I'm not sure where the impressions come from that this is a slow boat (I had them as well). Perhaps since it has a reputation as a solid couples cruiser. I was also surprised by the weight of the boat, they've done a good job keeping the weight down. Antares sailing catamaran compare with other catamarans
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 17:55   #39

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
Peter, Sorry for the delay in responding. Been on the road for business. OK, here are some answers:

* Yes, I am getting a new 44i. I have not determined yet the options, standard rig, vs taller. In fact, I actually looked seriously into the CF route, and as stated decided no. I am on the fence. We had good performance in light wind. I too like higher performance overall, and seriously considered something like a Catana '50.

As for the 2005. A couple of reasons. Biggest one, I didn't want one right now based on timing, and really wanted the fully enclosed cockpit. In addition, it would take $100k+ to get is properly outfitted for what I wanted, so I wouldn't have saved that much vs. a new one...and ok...I admit it...wanted the new boat with some tweaks inside like the port forward cabin (bunk beds).

I don't remember the seat and what was under them...relatively certain it was storage.

As for Bob Crandall's boat (Sea Spray), he sold it in Miami at the boat show. The Boat we used in SC for Antares U was that same boat that was bought by a very nice couple from Switzerland. They are very happy with the boat and plan on doing a multi year trip in the next year or so.
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 18:08   #40

Thanks mdsilvers, and no worries about the delay (we all have to have lives to pay for our hobbies)

I hear you on the Catana (I have been looking at them as well) but the 44i actually seems almost perfect for a cruising couple! I can not find any info on the taller rig from Antares were you going 3rd party? I have to be honest everything I read says the sail plan is probably fine as is but, can one ever have too much performance?

I have a long list of changes I would like but my main issue is I simply can not afford the Cat new so I will have to look at the 5+ year old option (maybe I can entice you to upgrade in 6-8 years!)

I would love to change the solar panels to 200+ W ones and seriously look at swapping to diesel-electric hybrid with something like the 2*25KW gensets driving 2*17KW electric motors, replace the single 6KW genset with an 02 system (for diving) and add 2KW of battery bank (maybe up the inverter system as well)

I am looking at getting my cat 2-4 years before retirement and that date is set for 10.5 years from now (only reason to change will be if I win a lottery!)
Old 09-07-2009, 19:56   #41

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
Peter - I would be very cautious on the hybrid. In fact, I would not even consider this option for a cruiser. By the time you add all the extra weight (battery banks, gensets, etc) and deal with all the hassles of the frankly inefficient energy storage (large battery banks for the electric drive, etc) you will most likely be in a world of hurt. There was an owner of an Antares that insisted on going they hybrid route. He spent TONS of money and had to eventually rip out and start over with the hybrid system. Look at the Lagoon. They I believe are at the point of stopping their production of their hybrid. The boat performed like a dog. Very heavy. Sorry to spin down this side, but I would hate to have you go down a path with the relatively expensive Antares...even used...to not be happy. Check out this link. he is the designer of the Antares 44...and talks about hybrids. Hybrids « Catamaran Concepts
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:47   #42

hi mdsilvers, I was not thinking of going to a battery bank driven electric system (until we get deep cycle Li-Ion batteries working they are still not the right approach in my opinion) I was looking more at a genset driven electric drive config, the 2 gensets would be sized that each one alone can run the engines at 50-65% and to run the 2 engines at 100% I would need both gensets on, however they could be run independantly thus allowing a true redundancy and they would also provide all electric power needed to the battery bank or direct. Take a look at http://www.fisherpanda.com/downloads...06_eng_v01.pdf to see what I mean, I think that this model is actually the way to go and yes I would replace the 4*50W solar panels with 4*200W and add 2 onto the dinghy davits, I am thinking of a 1KW battery bank as well, but remember I can take out the 6KW genset and now I have room for my O2 system where the genset used to be!

Peter
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59   #43

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.bomberg View Post
hi mdsilvers, I was not thinking of going to a battery bank driven electric system (until we get deep cycle Li-Ion batteries working they are still not the right approach in my opinion) I was looking more at a genset driven electric drive config, the 2 gensets would be sized that each one alone can run the engines at 50-65% and to run the 2 engines at 100% I would need both gensets on, however they could be run independantly thus allowing a true redundancy and they would also provide all electric power needed to the battery bank or direct. Take a look at http://www.fisherpanda.com/downloads...06_eng_v01.pdf to see what I mean, I think that this model is actually the way to go and yes I would replace the 4*50W solar panels with 4*200W and add 2 onto the dinghy davits, I am thinking of a 1KW battery bank as well, but remember I can take out the 6KW genset and now I have room for my O2 system where the genset used to be!

Peter
Before you go with that brand check their reputation. Here's a post from a delivery skipper who has a lot of experience "Fischer-Panda generator non-functional", eh? Gee, what a surprise.... (grin) and check elswhere on this forum.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:09   #44

SailFastTri, thank you I was using it as an example of the concept, to be honest I don't have a clue of the brand yet as I have not done my research however the idea of a genset driven engine I think is the way to go.

However I have heard many good things about the fisher-pandas gensets so I am a bit surprised.

Peter
Old 10-07-2009, 07:19   #45

Boat: St Francis 50
Antares 44i cockpit seats

Peter:
The seats in the cockpit are solid and do not have lockers.
The underside of the seats forms part of the cabin "ceiling" in the owners and guest cabins gving you plenty of head room.
We have found that the under-sole cockpit lockers to be more than ample for storage while providing good access to our dive compressor, fridge, freezer and water filtration systems.
Paul and Maureen
"Indigo"
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares