Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31   #16

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Re: Antares 44 vs Helia 44 - help us decide?

..same spot... Only complaint with Antares is price.. I check everything on that boat and seems (to me) it's overpriced.. Other than that, I cannot say nothing about design and quality...
Take at look at brand new Alpha 42.. kind of brand new design..
We're very close to get a Helia... almost 1 million buck it's simply too much for us...
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:58   #17

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

the alpha 42 is beautiful , its quite cheap for a european but is it large enough inside for a 5 person family 365d/year...

it s a very tempting boat
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 13:14   #18

Boat: Hélia 44 #92 (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
..same spot... Only complaint with Antares is price.. I check everything on that boat and seems (to me) it's overpriced.. Other than that, I cannot say nothing about design and quality...
Take at look at brand new Alpha 42.. kind of brand new design..
We're very close to get a Helia... almost 1 million buck it's simply too much for us...
Well, we decided in favor of the Hélia. Best qualities were: modern design, easy flow around exterior and interior, nice position and layout of galley, nice owners cabin, reasonably priced. But the Antares had better ventilation and protection for the helm (can't even imagine how to deal with completely exposed helms like on the Catana and others).
CatBrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 13:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBrazil View Post
Well, we decided in favor of the Hélia. Best qualities were: modern design, easy flow around exterior and interior, nice position and layout of galley, nice owners cabin, reasonably priced. But the Antares had better ventilation and protection for the helm (can't even imagine how to deal with completely exposed helms like on the Catana and others).
Please keep posting about it.
We're between the helia, the alpha and the leopard...
All depend about availability.. our program is going out in the next 9 months...
Old 02-12-2014, 17:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
Please keep posting about it.

We're between the helia, the alpha and the leopard...

All depend about availability.. our program is going out in the next 9 months...

The Helia is beautiful. Your right bout the ventilation in the Antares. I also like the shaft drives and skegged rudders on the Antares.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RichinBoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 18:52   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Really is that a question?

How about Antares vs. Broadblue?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 20:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Really is that a question?

How about Antares vs. Broadblue?
..Broadblue not produce 40' on cruising, just performance.. different kind of animal...
Old 03-12-2014, 03:57   #23

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBrazil View Post
. But the Antares had better ventilation and protection for the helm (can't even imagine how to deal with completely exposed helms like on the Catana and others).
you deal with it as you would on a monohull...but less so as you ll probably use the AP more...
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 21:25   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi all, having just crossed the Atlantic with the Jimmy Cornell Group organised Atlantic Odyssey, I must say the Helia44 was a delight to manage, very comfortable, we never donned wet weather gear with the helm protected by factory clears, and ease of use managing our down wind ParaSailor chute a dream.We managed to maintain our lead position with a broad selection of yachts and cats including two Catanas,a 42 and 48 also a German Frere 56, a Outremer55 to name a few. We took 18 days to travel 2956nm and had no damage or breakages with just three of us sailing the boat. The He'lia 44 is a true blue water cruising cat, and those that have not sailed one or are aware of it's build quality should not make speculative comment!
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 21:51   #25

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi all, having just crossed the Atlantic with the Jimmy Cornell Group organised Atlantic Odyssey, I must say the Helia44 was a delight to manage, very comfortable, we never donned wet weather gear with the helm protected by factory clears, and ease of use managing our down wind ParaSailor chute a dream.We managed to maintain our lead position with a broad selection of yachts and cats including two Catanas,a 42 and 48 also a German Frere 56, a Outremer55 to name a few. We took 18 days to travel 2956nm and had no damage or breakages with just three of us sailing the boat. The He'lia 44 is a true blue water cruising cat, and those that have not sailed one or are aware of it's build quality should not make speculative comment!
Great post... I appreciate the opinion from someone with experience.. Very much..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 11:31   #26

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Hi Catamaransailors
I'm always wundering of the discussions about the best of the best, mostly just suited for a simple circumnavigation on the barefoot (tradewind) route. I think to remember that the late Eric Hiscock wrote once: "it is not the boat it is the crew who is the factor for a succesfull voyage".
When I see people with the best of the best just sailing from the US to NZ and giving up instead of sailing a circumnavigation as planned before and advertised. Or trying to sell in NZ or Australia if coming over the Pacific as the easier part is over. Ok, where are so many reasons why a project may fail, but sure is that even the best boat is not granting the success.

One of the most important booklets I read when preparing for my circumnavigations hat the title: Sailing simple. So I equipped my 40foot catamaran in mind: Kiss, keep it simple and stupid. Ok, my wife asked me if you say evering thing aboard may brake, what you d'ont have cannot, so do not buy a boat and nothing can brake.
At the end I had the luck of sailing two circumnavigations one over Panama one over the Falklands and around Fireland, mostly sailed singlehanded. I had the enourmus luck of not having any accident. And storms are seldom, weak winds the normal, and sometings a little stronger but I had never more than 8 Bf. (I do not mention the gusts)I could enjoy the anchorages and visit the countries instead of repairing sophisticated equipment. And also important I never felt under pressure as I had not writings on the boat like: around the world, or next stop cape hoorn, ore even a blog. For me was and is important: I was able to do it.
And now good luck and fair winds
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 11:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
Hi Catamaransailors
I'm always wundering of the discussions about the best of the best, mostly just suited for a simple circumnavigation on the barefoot (tradewind) route. I think to remember that the late Eric Hiscock wrote once: "it is not the boat it is the crew who is the factor for a succesfull voyage".
When I see people with the best of the best just sailing from the US to NZ and giving up instead of sailing a circumnavigation as planned before and advertised. Or trying to sell in NZ or Australia if coming over the Pacific as the easier part is over. Ok, where are so many reasons why a project may fail, but sure is that even the best boat is not granting the success.

One of the most important booklets I read when preparing for my circumnavigations hat the title: Sailing simple. So I equipped my 40foot catamaran in mind: Kiss, keep it simple and stupid. Ok, my wife asked me if you say evering thing aboard may brake, what you d'ont have cannot, so do not buy a boat and nothing can brake.
At the end I had the luck of sailing two circumnavigations one over Panama one over the Falklands and around Fireland, mostly sailed singlehanded. I had the enourmus luck of not having any accident. And storms are seldom, weak winds the normal, and sometings a little stronger but I had never more than 8 Bf. (I do not mention the gusts)I could enjoy the anchorages and visit the countries instead of repairing sophisticated equipment. And also important I never felt under pressure as I had not writings on the boat like: around the world, or next stop cape hoorn, ore even a blog. For me was and is important: I was able to do it.
And now good luck and fair winds
James
I think you look at it the wrong way. Just because some (alright, many) choose to sell in NZ or Oz doesn't mean it hasn't been a successfull trip. What all (99%?) has incommon with these kind of trips is the adventure, the chance to get to see a lot, being able to travel with your "home". Not many see their halvf-away-around-the-world-trips as unsuccessfull. Just because you bought an apple pie doesn't mean you need to eat all of it to be satisfied

But you are right about that the crew is beeing a bigger factor than the boat.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59   #28

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson42 View Post
Have you (anyone) looked at the Lightwave 45? Australian, similar price(maybe more expensive - I would imagine it is a lot more expensive to build in Australia than Argentina) and sounds like similar ambitions.

The Anteres 44 is currently my boat of dreams for world cruising. Would probably prefer a secondhand one (hate to spend a million dollars to put my kids in it, and to worry about putting the first marks on it). But they dont come up too often.

Anyone got any comments on the Lightwave vs Anteres?

ta
I have been avidly looking for a cat.. and to be honest the Antares has it so far. I've looked at the lightwave. It looks like it has promise but I can't believe their website.. tons of photo's of islands, people, things.. hardly any of the boats themselves. Odd... I will look further but you'd thin they'd sell dreams not memories of trips.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 22:41   #29

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip

I'll provide my opinion. Full disclosure - I'm an Antares 44i owner. We've had Field Trip for over 3 years and have sailed 22,000NM. We are very happy owners. If I had to rewind 3 years would I buy a different boat? No. Would I buy another boat if price was not a consideration? Maybe. A Chris White Atlantic 57 is on the list.

There are very few boat owners I have met over the past 3 years that dislike their boat. The biggest complaint I hear is 'I wish I would have bought a catamaran'. Most do a lot of research and make sound decisions based on their needs and budget. Would I ever own a Fountaine Pajot? You bet. Lagoon? You bet. There are always tradeoffs. Walk onto a Lagoon 550 and it's hard not to love the space. She's not fast, but we could be happy on a 550 or most other boats for that matter.

It's less about the boat and more about actually 'leaving' and making the adventure happen.

Good luck on your decisions. I'm sure it will be the right one for you and your family!

https://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 00:53   #30

Boat: Lagoon 380 Cat 38 ft

Antares Hands Down. Don't ConsiderPrice, More important is resale value, and speed of selling. Also The Antares has a 61ft Mast clearance, for getting under bridges.

Good Luck
jdisarro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares