Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 11:00   #1

Boat: Corsair Cruze 970
44GS Humm. Thoughts?

Hey kids,

I'm still a decade (10 yrs and 6 mos, actually) out and when I pull the trigger, it will be a decade-old 44 (if not older). That's the plan anyway. So, the new 44GS: Thoughts? There are a couple of improvements that have me scratching my head. What say ye ol' wise ones?

With the larger hard bimini, it seems it would be hard to watch the furling main (which I also don't care for) while furling it (and being able to judge the needed amount of the clew residence in an attempt to try and insure the sail doesn't bunch/ jam). Probably not a deal-breaker if using a furling main. Doesn't seem as it would be as easy to do single-handed with the huge bimini (as opposed to the former bimini). Perhaps they routed the outhaul differently so you can watch the sail retracting while holding onto the outhaul line? Dunno. However, since I don't want a furling main (but honestly, I'll take what I can get when the time comes), I can see how it might be a hassle flaking and securing the main with that huge bimini while trying not to step on those solar panels. Probably not a big deal, heck, probably no issue at all, but something that I was wondering about. Thoughts?

Not sure I'd want a permanent bowsprit as opposed the the swing-out version. Was there a problem with the former style? The new version certainly looks cooler. I could imagine a scenario where I'd want to swing the bowsprit out of the way when moored in tight quarters (would hate to have someone come along and tear it off with their boat). Plus, since can't swing the bowsprit out of the way, marinas will likely add that to the overall length of the vessel and charge more. I know our local marina will. I see this as a bad idea, but perhaps the increased strength and reliability (educated guess) outweighs these concerns? This is based on one image of the new 44GS, so perhaps there's an easy way to break the bowsprit down, but doesn't look like it. Again, thoughts?

I see the port side chair is gone (I'm sure my wife was looking forward to telling me how to drive/where to park from that seat). This might be a win actually.

I do like the new style of davit, increased visibility aft and perhaps it allows for a 11.5'-12' tender now. However, the tender sure seems to ride low. Thoughts?

Anyway, I sure wouldn't kick one out of bed based on these items, but I do wonder and wonder what you 44 owners think. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2018, 15:28   #2

Re: 44GS Humm. Thoughts?

Looks like the port chair is still available, for what it's worth.
Old 01-06-2019, 17:36   #3

I think you can operate the furling main with a remote control, giving you the ability to walk to a viewing point.
Whiz-Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:20   #4

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

I had the same question re visibility. Not just the outhaul but also the reefing lines and halyard. I think those lines run to the aft winch. How can you see the main to tell when the halyard tension is right? And I like to watch the main when tightening reefing lines to make sure everything is right. Seems the new longer bimini blocks the view. Someone mentioned using a remote and stepping out to where you have a view. Is that the only option?
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 18:49   #5

Boat: Antares 44i catamaran

I spent 10 weeks on a 44gs in 2019 sailing from Argentina to San Diego. It’s a nice yacht. The electric fuller is very nice but you need to be careful with tension. You do have a remote for the fuller so you would want to stand aft where you can see the mast, holding the outhaul if single handing. Ideally the aft electric winch would be a two direction winch with controls at the nicely located helm station. That would be the perfect scenario. Also, we installed a sail light for our delivery which was amazing. Why don’t more yachts have that as standard? Overall, the curling system is not a big deal particularly if there are two of you.

One thing I would recommend are anti siphon valves inline with the loop for all three bulge pumps. Don’t understand how this hasn’t been incorporated in over 10 years of building Antares.

Since our delivery they have made some line handling changes that in
My option suck!!! The solar panels and battery bank are awesome and we seldom ran the genny. But, why doesn’t it have a 12v water maker considering all the 12v power available. We would run the genset just to make water.

I can’t afford $1,000,000 for a new one, don’t like the recent changes but would buy an older one. It’s a nice yacht!
Gheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:58   #6

Thank you for the feedback!
Old 03-03-2020, 03:52   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gheinz.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote