Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2012, 08:52   #1

Boat: 2005 bayliner 285
Zincs and Portable Generator Honda 2000

I use a Honda 2000 for my shore power. The dock we are at has no power on it. On my boat the reverse polarity light comes on when plugged into the Honda because it sends 60 volts on the Black wire and 60 volt on the white wire to make my 110 voltage. On the boat i have a Zinc Saver II on the shore power coming in and I checked it's statis and it is working correcttly. The problem I am having is that i put new Magnesium zincs on the lower unit and trim tabs last year and they are better than half gone already. They are pitting not shinny so from what I have read that mean it is a galvanic problem. I have not completly checked the bonding system yet but so far it is intact. I am looking for some ideas.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom
Re: Zincs and Portable Generator Honda 2000

Since you don't use shore power, do you have any other shore connections like cable TV, data cable etc.?

If there are no shore power connections the electrolysis is being created locally on your boat. Are you in fresh water? Magnesium is a high voltage zinc for use in fresh water. In salt water you should use normal zinc zincs. Magnesium anodes in salt water are just self destructing "over protecting" the boat.

Make sure all the underwater items are connected to the same place, typically the 12 volt negative. Check that the exposed underwater metal on each item is connected to the negative and if it is not, then bond them together with a coppoer wire. The wire carries nearly zero current so it only needs to be heavy enough to survive in the marine environment.

Once you get all underwater metal connected together any zinc loss is due to different metals in the water and you will have to live with it.

The Hoda 2000 and its strange grounding "should" have nothing to do with your electrolysis problem.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:36   #3

Andina

Yes i am in fresh water and no there are no other connections for the boat. I will check the system out. Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 10:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

FYI-

"Electrolysis" is the separation of hydrogen and oxygen from water by means of passing an electrical current through it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with metal corrosion on boats. However, the term is frequently and erroneously used as a catch-all to describe any corrosion of underwater metal parts on boats.

"Electrolytic corrosion" is what happens when electrical current (from any source) attacks and corrodes underwater metals.

"Galvanic corrosion" occurs when two dissimilar metals are in contact with each other while immersed in an electrolyte, such as seawater.

This has been your "Please Learn and Use the Correct Terms When Discussing Boats" lecture for the day.
Old 09-05-2012, 14:34   #5

Dear fstbttms

I am not having any other metals eating away on my boat but the zincs. According to different zinc web sights i went to the pitting of the zincs is from galvonic corrosion is what they say.
Old 15-05-2012, 15:15   #6

Boat: Beneteau 373

Hi,
I think part of the problem is that the Honda has no real earth. In Australia we us a MEM system - Mains Earth Neutral and I think you guys do as well. That is the earth and neutral are connected. The Honda out of the box does not have this so you need to bind the 2. An earth leakage type circuit breaker will not work if there is no MEM so this could be a way to test.

Tags
generator, honda, honda eu2000

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: