Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2018, 07:26   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Yanmar 4JH4E and Balmar alternator fit woes

Yes, an alternator is an AC generator, it outputs AC power that is rectified to pulsating DC by diodes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 18:57   #17

thank you, much appreciated
amaka101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 20:32   #18

Boat: Tayana, D48, 48ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
What I find with all the boats I’ve owned (3) is that modifications away from the manufacturer is necessary. Balmar has never heard of a thing like cutting the bracket to fit an engine yet balmar (dale) who are great people won’t tell you to set the mc614 regulator bulk and absorption amp and time levels to battery manufacturer specs. I first went balmar way.... then Maine Sail told me correct settings and alt worked 100% better. Factor settings on the regulator are 19 minutes bulk, 19 minutes absorption then to float...... my 500 amp bank will never charge listening to that. Now with Maine sails advise I stay in bulk and absorption much longer at higher voltage (to match battery specs) and batteries love it (and so does my cold beer). We on our boats are real world and have to adjust and set things accordingly.

Hi there,

Just wondering what times did you use for bulk and absorption. I find the same, the batteries do not charge fully with the factory settings.

Thanks
harpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 21:58   #19

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I will have to check bulk but absorption is 3 hours. And volts has been set to match battery profile.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 23:35   #20

Boat: Tayana, D48, 48ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
I will have to check bulk but absorption is 3 hours. And volts has been set to match battery profile.

Greg

Thanks Greg, much appreciated if u could find the bulk. I know my mains charger uses 4 hours.

Harry
harpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 15:43   #21

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quick update. First, though Balmar was very willing to help, I was amazed that they had never heard of the problem I'm having and so had no real solutions to offer. Peter at PKYS also offered some suggestions but had never encountered this either.

Today while ordering replacement hoses, the Yanmar dealer sent me the parts drawing to be sure I could identify the hoses. There in the drawing was the solution. Yanmar has an optional hose and retaining clip to make more room for the alternator. The downside is you lose the petcock drain. It is surprising all that Yanmar engineering prowess couldn't come up with a solution that preserves the drain. NYSail managed to finesse his original hoses to make more room so that is an option too. It wasn't an option for me because the hoses are still original and twisting where they attach was too risky - which is why I was ordering the replacements in the first place.

One photo shows the Balmar Series 60 slightly compressing the coolant hose. It also shows a second hole in the tensioner arm that is required unless you want to modify the tab on the top of the alternator. Lastly, I had hoped to attach one of the nifty Balmar Universal Belt Buddys for easily adjusting belt tension. It doesn't fit. Balmar offers something that includes a new tensioner arm especially for the 4JH4E, but they were out of stock.

The second attachment is the parts drawing for the hoses showing the optional hose and retaining clip. BTW, the designated retaining clip is critical. You can't reuse the existing retainer clip. It is designed to go around the pipe (so too small) and the designated part has some bushing material to prevent it from chaffing the hose.

For now I am back to the stock alternator but will update the thread when I eventually complete this "quick upgrade kit".

Harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5180.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	178775  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0CR10-M56900_22.COOLING FRESH WATER PIPE.pdf (69.9 KB, 67 views)
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:51   #22
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

How come it works for NYSail and not for you with the exact same system ? Did you try to twist and slide deeper the hose as he suggested ?

Anyone would advise a good source in europe for the serpentine & pulley kit ? (4JH4-E here)
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
How come it works for NYSail and not for you with the exact same system ? Did you try to twist and slide deeper the hose as he suggested ?

(4JH4-E here)
Great question. NYSail did his twist and slide thing early on when he noticed basically the same problem with the standard alternator. The problem isn't so pronounced with the standard alternator because the case diameter is slightly less. NYSail was able to finagle more clearance when he replaced his hoses. My hoses have been on too long and I didn't want to force them. These two were not changed by my mechanic when I had the system flushed and the rest of the hoses replaced. I didn't notice that until I got into attempting the upgrade. I will change my hoses soon and so might try both and see what looks best.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:03   #24

Boat: OC40 hull #8

Hi All,
I'm glad I'm not the only one having these issues.
I have a Yanmar 4JH4-E and recently put a Balmar 6 series alternator on it.
After having issues with the belt rubbing on the water pump housing, I got a V-belt so short that removing the top pulley was necessary for installation. This works ok at low RPM, but rubs the water pump housing at high RPM. I just ordered the Balmar serpentine belt kit. What's the verdict on hoses? will replacing hoses be necessary?
stoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:45   #25

@hlev00
or
@NYSail
Do either of you have the yanmar part number for the hose "with a twist"?
Thanks!
Old 12-07-2021, 06:59   #26

It is a shame that we have to all discover this on our own and that Balmar doesn't have an asterisk next to 4JH4-E.

You will love the serpentine belt. No more belt dust.

Check the alignment after all the parts are in place. IIRC we had to use one of the shims provided to get the face of the alternator to line up with the support arm.

I had a little coolant leakage after changing some of the bolts around, either for the bracket securing the alternate hose or moving the support arm to the other hole (see pic). Just be sure to get them back to their proper torque and you should be fine.

To your question, some have succeeded by just doing some twisting of the old hose, my friend NYSail being one. You will see his comments in this thread. I felt that the new hose helped but you do have to change the location of the support bracket that should come with the new hose, or definitely order it. There isn't a massive amount of additional room so it isn't a loss to try with the old hose. Also, note that that support for the new hose is located under the pump pulley so it is useful to do it all at once to avoid having to remove the belt and pulley to install the bracket. I tried the new hose without the bracket but felt it was too close to the belt for my comfort. Your mileage may vary. I ordered a replacement old style hose at one point but never put it on. If you want it at below Yanmar pricing, PM me.

Here are some pictures of the final install that I forgot to upload before.

Harry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5993.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	241949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6005.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	241950  

Name:	IMG_6006.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	241951  
Old 12-07-2021, 07:04   #27

@stoomy - the PDF in comment #21 of this thread is the parts page from Yanmar with all the info, both old and new part numbers. You don't need a new bolt. I bought two 9-1, and one each 3-1 and 10.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:47   #28

Thanks @hlev00!

So, if i'm reading this correctly, 129671-49220 is the new version that is twisted at a compound angle vs. the original which was more-or-less 90 degrees.

I found this page and it suggests moving the alternator mounting bracket to the second hole.

https://shop.pkys.com/Serpentine-kit...H4E-_b_82.html

Seems like a reasonable thing to try.

<edit>
...and I see in your latest photos, you've done this....
Old 12-07-2021, 08:17   #29

That is actually my picture! They were stumped so asked for my solution after I stumbled through the process. I should send them the follow up pics as well.

NYSail actually ground down his alternator case to get the support bar to fit in the original hole. I didn't want to go that route for many reasons.

Harry
Old 08-05-2022, 12:49   #30

Hi Guys,
I got the Balmar Serpentine kit and the water pump works without any rubbing on the housing. Yay! One problem solved.
Unfortunately the charging system is not working. I'm sure I've botched the wiring. From the engine there are two small wires around 14-16 Guage. One is brown. I'm 99% sure that goes to the brown wire in the Balmar regulator harness which is the "ignition/ on-off switch"
What does the red wire do?
thanks!

Tags
alternator, balmar, yanmar