Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2014, 17:57   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Yanmar 2GM stock alternator

I own a 1985 Bayfield 29C with a factory installed Yanmar 2GM and what appears to be a stock alternator.

I am looking at purchasing new batteries.....and would like to purchase AGM sealed batteries...

My question is.....will this alternator charge these batteries? I have switched all of my interior lights to LED, and once we're splashed this season I'll convert my navigation and anchor lights as well. I occasionally run my 3G Simrad radar, and autopilot. I will probably go with two 27's for the house bank, and a third for the engine. I do not have refrigeration or air/heat to worry about, nor do I have an invertor or charger.

We now intend on maintaining our boat for at least a few more years, and my thinking, right or wrong, is that these are the batteries for the job.

So.....rather long winded here...will my stock alternator do the job?

Thanks!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 18:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Yanmar 2GM stock alternator

Suggest you look into Lifeline and have them factory drop shipped if possible to a business address. I saved a lot of candy by not buying through a retailer.

We also installed a Balmar external multi-stage regulator that can be programmed for AGM.

We are pleased with this stuff so far (5 years)
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 18:19   #3

Thanks for the suggestions!

How and where does the programmable multi-stage regulator hook up?

gunk
Old 20-04-2014, 19:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

They are made in several models for 12 & 24 VDC and for single and multiple engines. Once I figured out what model I needed I looked on Amazon for the best price. I extended the wires so that it is mounted on the nav station wall, where I can easily check charge status and keep it away from heat.

I found the installation easy but I was dealing with an alternator with no internal regulator. Here is the basic manual. If you have questions specific to your system you may need to talk to them. The entire device is potted in waterproof resin and you program it using a tiny magnet held in proximity to an internal reed switch.

http://www.balmar.net/PDF/mc-614-manual.pdf

http://www.balmar.net/PDF/Max%20Charge%20MC-612.pdf
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 05:47   #5

Thanks for the info Nicholson 58, very interesting reading and possibly a viable option for us.

gunk
Old 23-04-2014, 06:42   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

How much time do you spend on the hook? . And with no refrigeration, your DC house loads will be low- maybe 25 AH overnight. Your two Grp 27s will handle that for 3-4 nights without running the engine.

So you don't need much engine charging capacity. When you get back to the dock, plug in and recharge your batteries.

Your OEM alternator will work fine.
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, alternator, yanmar