Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2009, 04:51   #1

Xantrex XBM Parts?

My Xantrex XBM battery monitor display went south just a little over a year after it was installed. Partly my fault. I thought I could install it in the cockpit. My auxilary propulsion is electric so being able to see the current draw on the 48 volt battery bank is very important especially when at the helm. The literature says the display is splashproof. But, they did not mention the the sun would destroy it. What was I thinking?<g> Even though I tried to keep it covered. I've reluctantely bitten the bullet and ordered a new Xantrex Link Lite as a replacement. But, I would like to replace the display on the XBM to use as a backup. Does anyone know where I can get parts (i.e. new display) for the XBM. Xantrex does not/ will not sell the parts (or support/repair the XBM either) and I've just about had it with their useless tech support. The only reason I bought their Link Lite product was because it was a direct replacement for the XBM and I would not have to change any wiring. But, I did this reluctently. Does anyone know a source (other than Xantrex) for Xantrex XBM parts?

Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 05:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
My Xantrex XBM battery monitor display went south just a little over a year after it was installed. Partly my fault. I thought I could install it in the cockpit. My auxilary propulsion is electric so being able to see the current draw on the 48 volt battery bank is very important especially when at the helm. The literature says the display is splashproof. But, they did not mention the the sun would destroy it. What was I thinking?<g> Even though I tried to keep it covered. I've reluctantely bitten the bullet and ordered a new Xantrex Link Lite as a replacement. But, I would like to replace the display on the XBM to use as a backup. Does anyone know where I can get parts (i.e. new display) for the XBM. Xantrex does not/ will not sell the parts (or support/repair the XBM either) and I've just about had it with their useless tech support. The only reason I bought their Link Lite product was because it was a direct replacement for the XBM and I would not have to change any wiring. But, I did this reluctently. Does anyone know a source (other than Xantrex) for Xantrex XBM parts?

Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
The XBM was not made by Xantrex and was built for Xantrex by Victron. I'd call Victron seeing as they sold an identical unit under their own brand name. Personally I try to avoid Xantrex stuff if I can due to the poor customer service and "glitches" they seem to keep having in their products..
Old 18-10-2009, 05:47   #3

Main Sail

Thanks. Good advice. I'll try Victron as I've better things to do then waste any more time with Xantrex tech support. I was very leary about buying another Xantrex Monitor after my experience with their tech support. The XBM actually worked very good. It still works I just needed a new display. But, if you can't get parts or support it does not give me confidence in the company. I was hoping to put my money elsewhere. On an electrically propelled boat the battery monitor is as important as a fuel guage on a boat with a diesel.

Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG

P.S. Nice photos!
Old 27-12-2009, 18:03   #4

Repaired my Zantrex XBM battry monitor

This is just a follow up to this post on how I finally repaired my Zantrex XBM battery monitor. Turns out that a company in the Netherlands makes the units and what a pleasure it was to deal with them as compared to Zantrex customer service. While I doubt others will have the same issue with the XBM that I had. I had a display go bad because I had mounted it in the cockpit to be able to monitor the current from my 48 volt electric propulsion battery bank. If you want to see the fix or just what's inside the XBM you can click th link below:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: REPAIRING A ZANTREX XBM BATTERY MONITOR DISPLAY

Capt. Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
Old 27-12-2009, 18:14   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Mainsail...I can understand the customer support issue...but if The XBM is made by victron and also relabled and sold by them...what difference would there be..

FWIW..your past high regard for Zantrex is why I purchased one!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 19:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Turns out that a company in the Netherlands makes the units and what a pleasure it was to deal with them as compared to Zantrex customer service.

Capt. Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
Mike this is very good info about TBS. Victron had told me they were the manufacturer of that unit but clearly they must have also licensed it from TBS just as Xantrex did.

It appears that Victron has come out with a new line of their own monitors and Xantrex is now buying the Link-Lite and Link-Pro from TBS.

Good info on the source of repair parts etc. for the XBM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Mainsail...I can understand the customer support issue...but if The XBM is made by victron and also relabled and sold by them...what difference would there be..

FWIW..your past high regard for Zantrex is why I purchased one!
Xantrex used to have excellent customer support. I still own many Xantrex products and they work well but I have had a number of "glitchy" products from them and very un-satisfactory customer support. I have also had some frustrating conversations with friends who purchased a Link at my suggestion and then had run-ins with Xantrex customer support. They love their Links for what they do but were frustrated with the company.

If I were to buy a battery monitor today I'd buy a Victron based on recent feedback and my own experiences. I still recommend the Link series with the caveat that their customer service is apparently not what it used to be.

The trouble with recommending the Link series these days is that Victron sells a single bank monitor with shunt and wiring for $195.00 and the Link series is more money..

If I needed a slave charger, like an Echo Charger or the Duo Charge, I'd probably still buy from Xantrex as I have had worse luck with Balmar. Though I do think the Duo Charge is a much better design I have had three failures of Balmar regulators on my own vessel so I am even more gun shy of Balmar than Xantrex..

Xantrex makes decent products but when I can't get good support or answers to what should be simple questions I begin to look elsewhere.

I used to really despise Raymaine support but they got their act in gear and became really quite good. I used to love Garmin support, they were perhaps the best in the industry years ago, but it has now begun to get worse and worse?? Things are always changing so hopefully Xantrex is paying attention just as Raymarine did and will too get their act in gear when it comes to support..

My Link 10 is on my bench being used in experiments because I had issues with it and replaced it with the XBM. The Link still works but occasionally it goes berserk for no real reason that I can find. Xantres was no help at all and I finally gave up trying. I replaced that Link 10 with my current XBM and it has performed flawlessly now for over 5 seasons.

I have put a call into Victron for a technical question on one of their large battery chargers and got excellent answers and support who knows if it will stay that way or not.

So yes I am shying away from recommending Xantrex these days based mostly on support not the products..
Old 27-12-2009, 20:37   #7

Maine Sail:

Even better is that TBS offers a two year warrenty on their products where as Zantrex only one on the same products! My XBM display completely failed just over when the year warrenty ran out. Unfortuntely, TBS does not sell their products in the U.S. probably because of marketing agreements. So we can only purchase them via Xantrex or Victron brands. But, I was glad TBS at least sold me the LCD display part so that I would not have to spend another $350+ for a new battery monitor and prescaler for my 48 volt battery bank. In fact TBS now also sells a high voltage unit (which uses the same XBM shunt) that I could use without a prescaler should my newly repaired XBM ever fail in the future though I would probably have to buy it in England or some other country.
But, at least I feel better knowing that I can get support from TBS who make the units in the first place. Like you my experience with Xantrex customer support with the XBM has made me reluctant to buy from them in the future.

Capt. Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
Old 27-12-2009, 21:19   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Mike this is very good info about TBS. Victron had told me they were the manufacturer of that unit but clearly they must have also licensed it from TBS just as Xantrex did.

It appears that Victron has come out with a new line of their own monitors and Xantrex is now buying the Link-Lite and Link-Pro from TBS.

Good info on the source of repair parts etc. for the XBM!!

Xantrex used to have excellent customer support. I still own many Xantrex products and they work well but I have had a number of "glitchy" products from them and very un-satisfactory customer support. I have also had some frustrating conversations with friends who purchased a Link at my suggestion and then had run-ins with Xantrex customer support. They love their Links for what they do but were frustrated with the company.

If I were to buy a battery monitor today I'd buy a Victron based on recent feedback and my own experiences. I still recommend the Link series with the caveat that their customer service is apparently not what it used to be.

The trouble with recommending the Link series these days is that Victron sells a single bank monitor with shunt and wiring for $195.00 and the Link series is more money..

If I needed a slave charger, like an Echo Charger or the Duo Charge, I'd probably still buy from Xantrex as I have had worse luck with Balmar. Though I do think the Duo Charge is a much better design I have had three failures of Balmar regulators on my own vessel so I am even more gun shy of Balmar than Xantrex..

Xantrex makes decent products but when I can't get good support or answers to what should be simple questions I begin to look elsewhere.

I used to really despise Raymaine support but they got their act in gear and became really quite good. I used to love Garmin support, they were perhaps the best in the industry years ago, but it has now begun to get worse and worse?? Things are always changing so hopefully Xantrex is paying attention just as Raymarine did and will too get their act in gear when it comes to support..

My Link 10 is on my bench being used in experiments because I had issues with it and replaced it with the XBM. The Link still works but occasionally it goes berserk for no real reason that I can find. Xantres was no help at all and I finally gave up trying. I replaced that Link 10 with my current XBM and it has performed flawlessly now for over 5 seasons.

I have put a call into Victron for a technical question on one of their large battery chargers and got excellent answers and support who knows if it will stay that way or not.

So yes I am shying away from recommending Xantrex these days based mostly on support not the products..
Fair enough...Hopefully my Newly installed and yet to be used "Link Pro" being evidently built by this TBS Co. will fair better and I can deal with them directly.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 21:24   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Fair enough...Hopefully my Newly installed and yet to be used "Link Pro" being evidently built by this TBS Co. will fair better and I can deal with them directly.
I may be wrong but my gut feeling is that the newer Link-Lite and Link-Pro will be more reliable than the older Link stuff. Hopefully you won't need support!!