Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 20:36   #1

Xantrex XBM Display Problem

I installed an Xantrex XBM battery monitor last June to monitor the 48 volts battery bank for my electric propulsion system. It worked great until July of this year. One month after the warrenty expired. Of course. The problem is the display has all the LCD segments turned on and so I have no idea what the battery bank is doing. Maybe I'm asking to much from s company like Xantrex but, I was hoping to get more than a year for the $350 I paid for the XBM. Two phone calls and two emails to Xantrex "technical support" have not gotten me any return replies let alone answers. I can't even get them to tell me if I can get this unit repaired. They have since discontinued selling the XBM too.
Anyone run into this problem with the XBM and have a fix. I have disconnected the power to the unit several times but, still have all the segments and messages turned on. After this experience especially with their "technical support" I am rather reluctant to purchase another product from them. So I am hoping someone here has a fix for the problem because Xantrex has not been helpful at all.
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 02:56   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I had a problem recently with same monitor.

Disconnected all the wires, then put them back on again.
The connectors in the back are flimsy and shorts are possible.

Old 31-08-2009, 07:37   #3

Thanks CSY.

I'll give that a try. Being able to measure the current draw to or from the battery is kind of important for an electric boat. Since the system was setup for the XBM shunt I am hoping to get it working again and not have to replace it after only a year if I can avoid it.
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote