Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 11:30   #1

Xantrex LinkPro Calibration?

I have a LinkPro monitor, connected in textbook fashion, and all features of the monitor (except battery temp) work, as promised. My issue is that the voltage display on both the house bank (main) and starter bank (aux) read a good 1.3 - 1.5v higher on the LinkPro than what I read at the batteries.

I have 4 Group31 flooded batteries with 105ah and a garden variety Interstate marine starting battery. I have been compensating for this calibration error in my head and have exhausted all attempts to correct this on my own. I need help. Any suggestions?

dalbright1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:49   #2

Re: Xantrex LinkPro Calibration?

Find out which is right with a known-accurate maybe recently calibrated DMM.

Relocate the sensors?

Maybe need to buy a new voltmeter (pair).

To me functionality is what's important.

But if the redundant displays really bother you, disable the inaccurate one(s), even if with a bit of black tape.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbright1963 View Post
I have a LinkPro monitor, connected in textbook fashion, and all features of the monitor (except battery temp) work, as promised. My issue is that the voltage display on both the house bank (main) and starter bank (aux) read a good 1.3 - 1.5v higher on the LinkPro than what I read at the batteries.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Have you used a DVM at the back of the LinkPro, too? Different end of the same wire, but worth a check.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:30   #4

Stu, I will give your suggestion a whirl. Just checked at the batteries and all four registered 12.76v. LinkPro says 14.18v. I am not thrilled with my other Xantex equipment. My TrueCharge 20+ is quirky and won't equalize anymore. I think it is time for some new gear. The LinkPro monitor is not very old. 5 years, maybe? It came with the boat. My logic tells me that if it were installed incorrectly, I wouldn't have readings at all.
Old 07-11-2018, 13:42   #5

I have never heard anyone claim the LinkPro to be a great monitor by modern standards, and many user issues have been posted over the years.

Victron's BMVs have a much better reputation as an AH-counter.

Merlin SmartGauge for SoC accuracy.

Balmar's new SG200 may be the new hotness, but too early to say.
Old 07-11-2018, 13:46   #6

In general I avoid recommending any Xantrex gear. But because of the corporate attitude in recent years - very poor - wrt after-warranty service.

Even the authorized service centers scavenge for parts from scrapped units, corporate treats its "lower end" products (IOW not costing many thousands) as disposable.
Old 07-11-2018, 14:31   #7

I havn't seen issues with linkpros. If the voltage on the screen does not match the wires behind it. Ether the unit is bad or your test Meter is bad. There is no way to calibrate voltage on the linkpros. It should just work.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 15:10   #8

smac is right. Also don't know if you've ever seen this (not specifc to your orig question, though ):

For everyone installing a battery monitor: The "Gotcha Algorithm" thread, a "MUST READ"

Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!

DEFAULTS are factory settings that are made to be modified to suit your setup.

Also read this one:

Programming a Battery Monitor (by Maine Sail)

Keeping Your Battery Monitor More Accurate Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

and his newer 'site

https://marinehowto.com/programming-a-battery-monitor/
Old 07-11-2018, 21:53   #9

I just checked the voltage on the wires going into the LinkPro monitor. 13.71v on the meter. Same voltage at the batteries. I have a bad LinkPro monitor. I must concur that Xantrex is not my favorite or even reliable enough to be useful. Thank you all for your great suggestions.

David
Old 08-11-2018, 04:22   #10

Reco Victron 712-BMV as a great replacement.

Unless you'd like to pioneer test the Balmar SG200 for us and report back here?

Just kidding. . . but seriously
Old 08-11-2018, 09:49   #11

I am looking at the Victron monitor with Bluetooth, as a possible replacement. I could check battery status from the cockpit or elsewhere in the boat. The Balmar unit looks extensible but the reviews on the Vicfron are pretty good. If Balmar gave me a unit to install, I would gladly report back on how it works for me.
Old 08-11-2018, 13:02   #12

When you checked the voltage differences, was there a charging source present? Is it possible the Link is incorrectly wired and is picking up a charge voltage while the battery voltage is still low and rising?
I know, I know, I'm just clutching at straws here. Of course, you check the Link wiring already, right?
Old 08-11-2018, 15:42   #13

Stu, there was a charging source present and there wasn't. I checked both conditions with the same result. The Xantrex TC 20+ was in float mode when I checked. Either way, the voltage is still off by nearly 1.5v. It's whacked, as seems to be the case with most Xantrex systems, by my experience and research. I could start a whole new thread on the charger, alone. Time to move to another system.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31   #14

I am not here advocating for Xantrex corporation, nor purchasing their products - my critical comments above do still apply.

However, I've received feedback in private from a member whose opinion I value highly, that this statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I have never heard anyone claim the LinkPro to be a great monitor by modern standards, and many user issues have been posted over the years.
may be too harsh with respect to this specific device, and I am perhaps conflating with the original Link series designs Xantrex inherited from CE / Heart.

They have owned one for many years, and are very happy with it compared to others on the market

Specific advantages include:

1. can be programmed so that it suffers less drift than Victron BMV in PSOC conditions

2. the manual reset is much easier

3. automatic calibration for CEF can work well with lead banks

______
wrt the OP's instance, maybe get a known-good calibrated DMM in to verify?

Also double-check you're not looking at Bank 2 (aux) readout rather than Bank 1, or that those two wires may be crossed

Or of course that unit may have failed, sh1t happens

Tags
cal