Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2015, 09:18   #1
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

I just received and installed a new Xantrex LinkLite battery monitor after the first was deemed defective by someone on their 1-800 support line whose knowledge I deeply question. I know they run scripts and do not employ a room full of electrical engineers, of course.

My suspicion is that I have done something wrong both times, but I cannot figure out what it may be. I am not any sort of electrical genius, but I do all my own work, I can keep runs clean and make good connections. I would be that guy who is at the "competent" end of the "regular guy" spectrum.

I have two batteries in my main house bank and one cranking battery. The monitor tells me that it is getting 13.08v between either the brown-and-grey wires or the grey-and-white wires, but the monitor has NO DISPLAY. No flashing, per the instruction manual.

I have checked and rechecked the fuses and the wiring diagram. I did discover that I had to (I think!) move my main negative line that feeds my 12v bus to the system side of the shunt, which I had not realized on the first monitor and attempt, where it still fed to the bus straight from the battery. But alas, still no display after that relo.

I am hopeful that some wise soul may be able to help me out. I don't really want to play swap-a-monitor with Hodges Marine again. I am attaching a link to the installation and wiring guide PDFs.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Acc...-01_rev-B).pdf

Thank you all in advance.
__________________

__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 10:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Anacortes
Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Posts: 1,735
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-hood View Post
I just received and installed a new Xantrex LinkLite battery monitor after the first was deemed defective by someone on their 1-800 support line whose knowledge I deeply question. I know they run scripts and do not employ a room full of electrical engineers, of course.

My suspicion is that I have done something wrong both times, but I cannot figure out what it may be. I am not any sort of electrical genius, but I do all my own work, I can keep runs clean and make good connections. I would be that guy who is at the "competent" end of the "regular guy" spectrum.

I have two batteries in my main house bank and one cranking battery. The monitor tells me that it is getting 13.08v between either the brown-and-grey wires or the grey-and-white wires, but the monitor has NO DISPLAY. No flashing, per the instruction manual.

I have checked and rechecked the fuses and the wiring diagram. I did discover that I had to (I think!) move my main negative line that feeds my 12v bus to the system side of the shunt, which I had not realized on the first monitor and attempt, where it still fed to the bus straight from the battery. But alas, still no display after that relo.

I am hopeful that some wise soul may be able to help me out. I don't really want to play swap-a-monitor with Hodges Marine again. I am attaching a link to the installation and wiring guide PDFs.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Acc...-01_rev-B).pdf

Thank you all in advance.
I would double check that I put the right wires in to the terminal strip on the back of the monitor/display unit. For the meter to turn on all it really needs is battery positive and negative. I would put my voltmeter on the wires coming from battery and fuses at the end that goes in to the meter. There are two positives and one negative. Check for 12v on both positives to the negative. One of the positives should be the "power" side and the other should be the voltage sensor side. But they should read the same with your meter. Other than that it would seem to be the either the meter or the cable. If you get voltage at the correct wires at the end of the cables that go in to the meter, then you have isolated the problem to the meter.
__________________

__________________
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 11:52   #3
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,651
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-hood View Post
I just received and installed a new Xantrex LinkLite battery monitor after the first was deemed defective by someone on their 1-800 support line...
The monitor tells me that it is getting 13.08v between either the brown-and-grey wires or the grey-and-white wires, but the monitor has NO DISPLAY. No flashing, per the instruction manual.

I have checked and rechecked the fuses and the wiring diagram. I did discover that I had to (I think!) move my main negative line that feeds my 12v bus to the system side of the shunt, which I had not realized on the first monitor and attempt, where it still fed to the bus straight from the battery. ...
1--A man has to know his limitations. If you've already blown up 2 brand new meters, STOP! And hire someone competent and experienced to install the next one.

2--The manufacturer is your source for installation manual and technical help. And you will need them again to continue to supply you with replacement meters if you ignore #1. So write to them, email them and call them back, asking to speak with technical support.
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 13:27   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,830
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

At the risk of insult, are you sure the polarity of the battery connections are correct?
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 14:14   #5
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 702
Images: 2
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Could be installer error, but Xantrex of the last decade is nothing close to quailty that it once was. I wont put their products in my boat. had too many issues with their chargers and battery monitors. I now use the Victron BMV-700 units much better products and much easier to install.
__________________
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 14:18   #6
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,389
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Could be installer error, but Xantrex of the last decade is nothing close to quailty that it once was. I wont put their products in my boat. had too many issues with their chargers and battery monitors. I now use the Victron BMV-700 units much better products and much easier to install.
Good point.

If you can return the Xantrex, get a Victron. A BVM 600 would do it for you.

Like this:

How to Wire a Battery Monitor by Maine Sail: Wiring & Installing A Battery Monitor | SailboatOwners.com Forums
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 19:34   #7
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
1--A man has to know his limitations. If you've already blown up 2 brand new meters, STOP! And hire someone competent and experienced to install the next one.

2--The manufacturer is your source for installation manual and technical help. And you will need them again to continue to supply you with replacement meters if you ignore #1. So write to them, email them and call them back, asking to speak with technical support.
Goodness.

(A) I am competent, which is why (B) I have a professional coming tomorrow to check my install, and (C) I have reached out to the manufacturer for technical assistance but (D) they are unavailable until Monday. So, as a man secure enough to know that I can learn from others I thought I might (E) inquire to see if anyone happened to have firsthand experience with this model and this problem.

In absence of you having the specific experience that might benefit me, I will just thank you for the advice
__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 19:35   #8
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Could be installer error, but Xantrex of the last decade is nothing close to quailty that it once was. I wont put their products in my boat. had too many issues with their chargers and battery monitors. I now use the Victron BMV-700 units much better products and much easier to install.
We'll see where we end up. If Xantrex and I end up failing, I will look into the Victron. Thanks!
__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 19:40   #9
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
At the risk of insult, are you sure the polarity of the battery connections are correct?
Not insulting at all. I have checked and re-checked and am quite confident of the polarity. I am also confident that the unit is not "blown," and also confident that I have probably failed to do something correctly. It is ultimately a logic puzzle, and I will figure it out.
__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 19:46   #10
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I would double check that I put the right wires in to the terminal strip on the back of the monitor/display unit. For the meter to turn on all it really needs is battery positive and negative. I would put my voltmeter on the wires coming from battery and fuses at the end that goes in to the meter. There are two positives and one negative. Check for 12v on both positives to the negative. One of the positives should be the "power" side and the other should be the voltage sensor side. But they should read the same with your meter. Other than that it would seem to be the either the meter or the cable. If you get voltage at the correct wires at the end of the cables that go in to the meter, then you have isolated the problem to the meter.
All excellent advice. The wiring is good, all is in the correct inputs in the back of the monitor. I got 13.08v on my meter at the batteries, from the in-line fuses, and from each of the two positives to the negative at the monitor. The phone support tech ran me through a number of checks, and he was as puzzled as I am.

Again, I am humble enough to know there is probably some very-small error on my part preventing success. Thanks for the help. I'll eventually get it.
__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 19:56   #11
Marine Service Provider
 
Maine Sail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Posts: 3,060
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-hood View Post
All excellent advice. The wiring is good, all is in the correct inputs in the back of the monitor. I got 13.08v on my meter at the batteries, from the in-line fuses, and from each of the two positives to the negative at the monitor. The phone support tech ran me through a number of checks, and he was as puzzled as I am.

Again, I am humble enough to know there is probably some very-small error on my part preventing success. Thanks for the help. I'll eventually get it.
On the back of the Link-Lite touch your DVM leads to the + terminal screw and the - terminal screw. If you read battery voltage this is good. If not investigate.

Now test for voltage using the VM (voltage main bank) screw and the - screw. If you have voltage here and at + & - then the display should power up..
__________________
Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 19:59   #12
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,651
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-hood View Post
...I have a professional coming tomorrow to check my install, and (C) I have reached out to the manufacturer for technical assistance but (D) they are unavailable until Monday...
Good that you saw the light. But why the rush? Your boat has been just fine without a meter for 48 years.
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 20:06   #13
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Good that you saw the light. But why the rush? Your boat has been just fine without a meter for 48 years.
I don't happen to think the light ever evaded me; I do accept that you seem to think it did, and that's fine.

There is not rush at all, and if I set sail south without the new meter the old gal won't know the difference. The pro is dropping by tomorrow because he's a friend of mine and agreed to come take a look.
__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 20:08   #14
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
On the back of the Link-Lite touch your DVM leads to the + terminal screw and the - terminal screw. If you read battery voltage this is good. If not investigate.

Now test for voltage using the VM (voltage main bank) screw and the - screw. If you have voltage here and at + & - then the display should power up..
I'll check this tomorrow. Thanks for the input!
__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 20:20   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: On my boat
Boat: Roberts 53, Love of Gaia
Posts: 80
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

I would suggest systematic fault diagnosis. The first step is to connect the power to the unit. No other connections. They should light up. If not, it is unequivocably a fault in the unit. Make sure to have the power supplied fused to avoid blowing your power cables!

If the unit is working the displays may show rubbish since there are no sensor signals, but you should be able to enter the configuration menu and set the various parameters. You may also get an alarm going off, if the unit thinks your batteries are under voltage.

Once you are sure the unit is functioning you can connect the voltage sensors for each bank, and the amperage sensor on the shunt (which of course is actually a voltage sensor).

I have a pair of e-xpert lite units which look exactly the same as a Xantrex and I think are a cheap copy thereof (or the same unit rebranded). They've both been working flawlessly for 7 years.
__________________

__________________
yttrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
installation

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Xantrex LinkLite Battery Monitor $140 Gary H Classifieds Archive 1 13-05-2015 12:48
For Sale: Xantrex LinkLite Battery Monitor Gary H Classifieds Archive 1 12-05-2015 08:40
Any differences between Xantrex LinkLITE and Whisper Power Battery Monitors Sam the Sailor Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 1 12-08-2014 00:42
Another Xantrex installation question? sloopdavidb Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 5 12-01-2009 07:53
Xantrex Battery Monitor Installation Questions lifefloat Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 1 05-04-2008 21:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.