Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 22:01   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Xantrex Link 2000 gone crazy.

I installed my second Link 2000 3.5 years ago and it has worked fine till yesterday. I fired up my Honda 3000 generator and pushed the "Charge" button on my Link 2000 control panel. About 2 minutes later, it dropped from "Charge" to "Accept". Before starting the generator, it read -74 amp hours on bank #1 and -40 amp hours on bank #2. After pushing some of the buttons on the Link 2000, I found that the screen showed that battery bank #2 was a 0 amp hours and the charge rate had dropped to about 5 amps instead of the normal 20+. Bank #1 stayed fine and kept taking the amps and volts went up to 14.25 on both banks after a while.
After a couple of hours, I turned off the generator and as the night passed, bank #2 showed no signs of being used. It showed +5 Amps when we went to bed and was the same in the morning. Bank #1 was up to about -35 hours.
I've check all the parameters of the Link 2000 and they are the same as they have alway been.
Bank #1--220 amp hours and Bank #2 is 110 amp hours.
I fired up the generator this morning and it continued as it did yesterday.
One other note-- when the generator is turned off, if the amp hours show as a +, they get reset by the Link 2000 to 0. This happened on bank#1 but not on bank #2.
Do I need to do a master reset and reprogram the unit? Just not sure what it wrong but I've effectively lost 1/3 of my amp hours.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27   #2

Re: Xantrex Link 2000 gone crazy.

Seems you are going into float prematurely.

Is your Link running a Freedom combined inverter/charger? Are you familiar with this?

For everyone installing a battery monitor: The "Gotcha Algorithm" thread, a "MUST READ"

Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!

DEFAULTS are factory settings that are made to be modified to suit your setup.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:47   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Xantrex Link 2000 gone crazy.

That's the way the Link 2000 is. Quirky. I posted a while ago about the Link resetting to 0 amps used after turning off the charger when a second ago it was -70 amps. I finally gave up on mine when it stopped showing amps used. Zantrex no longer makes the 2000 and offered me a replacement 2000 (they must have a bunch of refurbished ones) for a few hundred bucks! Mine ended up as a $500 voltage meter. I got a Victron to replace it. Works fine and a lot cheaper.
Old 05-10-2012, 17:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco
That's the way the Link 2000 is. Quirky. I posted a while ago about the Link resetting to 0 amps used after turning off the charger when a second ago it was -70 amps. I finally gave up on mine when it stopped showing amps used. Zantrex no longer makes the 2000 and offered me a replacement 2000 (they must have a bunch of refurbished ones) for a few hundred bucks! Mine ended up as a $500 voltage meter. I got a Victron to replace it. Works fine and a lot cheaper.
I'm sitting on the hard in Malaysia refitting my old Privilege 39 and need a charger inverter 240 volt. I have an address in the USA for freight consolidating. Wondering where I could source a Victron unit to do the job. My electrical man says 1500 watts and 75 amp would suit.
Any help is appreciated.
I have a few other items to buy, an Aqua Signal masthead tricolor/ anchor light being one essential. Again any pointers most welcome.
5baron is offline   Reply With Quote