Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 12:10   #1

Boat: Albin 32+2 CB - RELAX'N
Xantrex Link 20 Replacement

My Link 20 Battery Monitor has "died" and Xantrex no longer supports this unit. They suggested a Link Lite. I would like to be able to monitor both voltage and Amps on 2 or 3 banks of batteries. I notice units such as CruzPro monitor voltage on 3 banks, but Amps on only one bank.

Which differet brands should I consider? Which is these type units are the Best?
Thanks
Dougfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 13:26   #2
Eternal Member

Doug,

Jus wonderin....why do you have "2 or 3 banks" of batteries to monitor on a 32-footer?

Normally, on boats of most any size these days, the house batteries are run as a single bank and it's really meaningless to monitor the start battery.

Just sayin....

My recommendation would be to review your requirements, and look at the Victron's....great quality, affordable.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 13:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
What Bill said/asked?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 13:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What Bill said/asked?
Ditto..

Victon BMV-600 or Link Lite will do fine..
Old 29-06-2010, 14:41   #5

Boat: Albin 32+2 CB - RELAX'N
Xantrex Link 20 Replacement

I have these multible banks because that is how the boat came. There is 1 battery (bank) dedicated to starting the Generator, and 2 banks of 2 100 amphour batteries for house and starting and a bank of 2 more dedicated to a Engel Freezer. A total of 7 AGM batteries. Any of these banks can be switched in or out depending on the need. One reason this boat has so many batteries is it has 2 Norcold refrigerators, which draw about 6 amps each.

Sorry, it is just how to boat was when I purchased it.

Doug
Dougfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 17:41   #6
Eternal Member

Doug,

No need to be sorry. I feel your pain. Sounds like the previous owner delivered a real doozie to you :-)

OK, what to do?

1. Just replace the battery monitor and forget everything else for awhile; or
2. Think about a more rational arrangement for your batteries.

The first is relatively easy. The second isn't. It requires thoughful consideration of the existing system, and of how you intend to use the boat.

Are you going to cruise the boat? Stay mostly at dockside? Stay mostly on anchor?

What kind of charging devices do you have aboard? Alternator (size, regulator internal or external)? Solar panels? Wind generator? Diesel or gas generator? Sounds like you do have a generator. Size? AC or DC?

IMHO, it doesn't make sense to have a separate starting battery for the engine and the generator. One will more than suffice, particularly if it can be supplemented...as needed...by the house batteries.

Nor does it make sense to have separate battery banks for the house (two banks of 200AH each) and another bank for the freezer (size in AH?). These could all be run from a single house bank. In theory.

In practice, you may have some special needs and problems. Only a close examination of what you now have, how you plan to use the boat, and what you'd like to have in terms of a more efficient electrical system will yield the answer.

Sorry to complicate what was a seemingly straightforward question about replacing the Link 20.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote