Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 17:36   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Xantrex Freedom 20 Charger Problems

I have the freedom 20 installed as OEM on my 2001 beneteau 473. The battery configuration is 6 Trojan T105s in series and parallel to form a 675 AH house bank. I have a group 27 as a start battery. All are new. With the start battery connected my charger will not come out of the charge stage. If I remove start battery the charger goes from charge to absorption to float at the correct voltages. It seems the echo charge function is not working correctly but all indications seem normal. I have a Link 1000 battery monitor controlling the charger. I have tested all the batteries and followed all trouble shooting steps I can find. I am looking for any suggestions.

Larry
S/V TraSea
Beneteau 473 #25
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 18:03   #2

Boat: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa
Re: Xantrex freedom 20 charger problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzach View Post
I have the freedom 20 installed as OEM on my 2001 beneteau 473. The battery configuration is 6 Trojan T105s in series and parallel to form a 675 AH house bank. I have a group 27 as a start battery. All are new. With the start battery connected my charger will not come out of the charge stage. If I remove start battery the charger goes from charge to absorption to float at the correct voltages. It seems the echo charge function is not working correctly but all indications seem normal. I have a Link 1000 battery monitor controlling the charger. I have tested all the batteries and followed all trouble shooting steps I can find. I am looking for any suggestions.

Larry
S/V TraSea
Beneteau 473 #25
Good luck. Can't help. Can only sympathize. I have a Link 1000 connected to a Freedom 30 inverter/charger and the whole arrangement has a mind of its own that drives me nuts and Xantrex support is totally useless. They do not return emails at all, at all.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:31   #3
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: Xantrex Freedom 20 Charger Problems

I suggest that you bilge the Echo Charge function on the Freedom as the rest of the unit is working well. Install either an automatic charge relay (ACR) from Blue Sea Systems (my favorite) or a Balmar DuoCharge (Bill's (btrayfors) favorite) between the house bank and the starting battery and live happily ever after.

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:55   #4
Eternal Member

+1 what Charlie said. Except that for your application (which is identical to mine, except I have a group 31 start battery), I'd recommend the Xantrex EchoCharge because it's very simple to install, totally automatic, and works like a charm. And, it's half the price of the Duo-Charge. That's what I have on my boat and it's worked flawlessly for over five years.

Wish I could recommend other Xantrex products, but I can't. I try to avoid them like the plague. Seems there are always problems and Xantrex support-after-sale is mostly non-existent.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:26   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
I suggest that you bilge the Echo Charge function on the Freedom as the rest of the unit is working well. Install either an automatic charge relay (ACR) from Blue Sea Systems (my favorite) or a Balmar DuoCharge (Bill's (btrayfors) favorite) between the house bank and the starting battery and live happily ever after.

Charlie
This is the same configuration on my vessel except I've binned 2 Freedom 20 chargers and an inverter. Will never have another Xantrex product. I replaced it with a TrippLitte inverter/charger and has been working flawlessly.

Good luck
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote