Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2012, 20:39   #1

Xantrex echocharge not charging

My issue appears to be different then the others in this forum and would appreciate any insight members may have.

I have a Xantrex Echocharge, it is not charging the starting battery, the batteries, AGM 12 volt ( house and start) are of same date (2 years old) and manufacturer, fuses are not blown ( 20 amp ) connections appear good, fuses and battery, green led is steady ( not blinking) and battery voltage difference between house and start batteries is within echocharge parameters for "normal operation". The manual mentions an "in line fuse"

Fuse Replacement An in-line fuse is installed in the unit. For continued
protection, it must only be replaced with a fuse of the same type and
rating. This must be done at an authorized service center or at the factory.

I have sent xantrex an email inquiring about the inline fuse but have not heard back, thanks
Janf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 21:23   #2

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Xantrex echocharge not charging

We have a simular system and would like to know what you find out.
Old 28-04-2012, 08:47   #3

IIRC, there have been some recent discussions about echo charger fuses. The answer has been to replace the fuse holder and fuse.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 09:06   #4
Eternal Member

Jan1,

How do you know it is not charging the start battery?

AGMs have a VERY LOW self-discharge rate, and start batteries require VERY LITTLE charging.

Could it be that the start battery is fully charged, and is exhibiting a resting voltage about the same as the EchoCharge target voltage?

I would say that with your setup, if the resting voltage of the start battery was not below 12.6 or so, and if you have no direct way of measuring EchoCharge output (like with a clamp-on ammeter), nothing may be wrong at all.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 21:08   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I am thinking the same as Bill.

Have you measured voltage of both start and house battery with and without a charge source present?

They are lousy fuse holders though. I prefer the type that lock closed.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 18:53   #6

PROBLEM
THINGS TO CHECK
LED is red. Thermal shutdown
1. Check to see that the Digital echo-charge has sufficient air flow and ventilation around it. 2. Check the battery connections.
Starter battery is not charging
1. Check the difference in voltage between the house battery and the starter battery. If the difference is greater than 2 volts, the Digital echo-charge will reduce the charge current. If the difference is greater than 10 volts, the Digital echo-charge will shut off and the green LED will blink.
2. Check the connections to house battery bank and starter battery. Check the fuses. Check the ground connection.
LED is off
Check fuse in the red wire. Check the ground connection.
LED is flashing green
1) House battery voltage below 13.0 volts DC or above 17 volts DC.
2) The difference between the house battery and the starter battery is greater than 10 volts DC.

This is off xantrex's web site, I'm sure you have the same info in your manual. So, if the led is steady state green, what is the voltage readings on your starter battery and your house bank? We really need this to make any kind of educated guess.
rkfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 12:48   #7

Thank you all. Here is the update after using the boat this weekend. I am getting a steady green, all fuses and holders appear to be fine . Last week I combined the batteries with the shore power charger on and after running the engine this weekend and now with the house battery voltage with the charger on is 13.30 and the start is 12.9 , however after a day or so the start batt tends to drop down to more like 12.6 and below usually down to between 12.25 and 12.35. I do have a good volt meter , but not a clamp on. I have the echo charge on and the batteries isolated so I will get a more true reading in a day or so,
Janf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 13:58   #8

Does your VOM have an ammeter and do you know how to use it?
rkfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 14:02   #9
Eternal Member

If the house battery voltage falls below about 12.9VDC, then the EchoCharge will not provide current to the start battery. It only does so when it senses a charge on the house batteries, i.e., voltage above about 12.9-13.0VDC.

If you leave the batteries with no charging source when you leave the boat, it's very likely the house batteries would fall below the threshold level.

And, if the start battery is either weak or has a slight drain on it, it would fall to 12.6 or below.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging