Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2011, 17:14   #1

Xantrex Battery Charger Overheating - Frigoboat Fridge

Hi there .. I'm having an electrical problem with a Xantrex TrueCharge2 40A battery charger and Frigomatic Madrid 35F refrigerator.

When we run the refrigerator when the charger is on shore power, the charger shows a temperature fault indicating the charger is overheating. The charger seems to be working fine other wise. The charger fan is working properly and I have tried running the charger under load with all lights and accessaries running except the refrigerator and it works fine.

However; when we turn on the refrigerator, with nothing else running, in about 30 mins we get the fault light on the charger indicating its overheating. This only happens when the refrigerator is running.

The refrigerator seems to work ok when it's powered on as the compressor is running and cooling. I wonder if the electronics in the refrigerator might be interfering with the charger.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sailormannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 17:43   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Xantrex Battery Charger Overheating - Frigoboat Fridge

I suspect that the charger is sending current to the fridge instead of to the batteries, and that its internal sensor is being fooled into thinking that the current is all going to the batteries so that it is staying on the higher amperage to complete charging. You might be able to solve the problem by installing a rectifier which will allow you to switch the fridge direct to shore power; that way the charger will properly work in stages on the battery charging.
Old 18-06-2011, 18:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I suspect that the charger is sending current to the fridge instead of to the batteries, and that its internal sensor is being fooled into thinking that the current is all going to the batteries so that it is staying on the higher amperage to complete charging. You might be able to solve the problem by installing a rectifier which will allow you to switch the fridge direct to shore power; that way the charger will properly work in stages on the battery charging.
H'mm .. We didn't change anything from the factory install other than replace the charger so wonder if this is a problem with the original factory set-up. What's the best way to diagnose if this is the problem.
Old 19-06-2011, 08:20   #4

Thinking about this some more. The refrigerator is a factory installed 12v Frigoboat "Frigomatic Madrid 35F" wired to the panel. As far as I can see, it's not wired directly to the charger and is drawing power through the panel and batteries as per factory specs. I haven't changed any wiring from the factory other than connecting the new charger.

The previous CRISTEC charger was replaced because we thought it was putting too much current into the batteries on float when the refrigerator was left on shore power 7/24. The batteries were venting.

I wonder if the problem could be that the draw from the fridge is confusing the control unit in the charger and causing it to put too much power into the batteries causing the warning. It's weird because I would have thought the warning from the charger would be a battery fault vs. a charger warning fault.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Most people leave their fridges on when on shore power so leaving it off isn't really an option.
Old 19-06-2011, 08:30   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Sailormannn, Where is the charger connected to the 12 volt system? Through the battery switch, to the panel, or as it should be, directly to the batteries? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 08:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Sailormannn, Where is the charger connected to the 12 volt system? Through the battery switch, to the panel, or as it should be, directly to the batteries? Chuck
AS far as I can see, the charger is connected directly to the batteries. The charger is located in the stern of the boat about 5' from the batteries and the connections run directly from the charger to the batteries.
Old 19-06-2011, 08:36   #7

A possible fix could a adapter that would allow 120 v ac to run the fridge when connected to dockside power Many units are supplied this way The xantrex charger,thats another issue altogether
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 08:39   #8

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

How old are your batteries?

1 - I'm wondering if the charger is simply struggling to keep up with everything, if your batteries have a bad cell, the charger will flog them continuously trying to get them up to voltage.

2 - It's curious that the charger is shutting down, it makes one wonder if it's got a problem. I would think a charger would run to it's max rated output continuously and not complain. I wonder what Xantrex would say about it.

The charger should sit at float voltage with no current going into the batteries and simply 'pick-up' the house load, including the frig.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 08:47   #9

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

If the ambient temperature is to high my Xantrex will do the same thing. I have to set the battery temp mode in warm or hot position. If I run it in the cold battery temp mode where it puts out max amps to the battery bank it will show charger overheat. I put a small fan blowing on the charger, and it worked fine, no overheat. But in the summer temps, mine is set in the warm battery temp mode.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 08:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
How old are your batteries?

1 - I'm wondering if the charger is simply struggling to keep up with everything, if your batteries have a bad cell, the charger will flog them continuously trying to get them up to voltage.

2 - It's curious that the charger is shutting down, it makes one wonder if it's got a problem. I would think a charger would run to it's max rated output continuously and not complain. I wonder what Xantrex would say about it.

The charger should sit at float voltage with no current going into the batteries and simply 'pick-up' the house load, including the frig.
Thanks for the post. The batteries are new Oddysey batteries and showing at full charge on the charger remote panel. The charger shows them accepting the float charge and everything looks fine except when I turn on the fridge. I tried putting all the halogens and accessories on last night and running the charger for an hour to see what would happen. The charger showed a 40% draw and no problems. When I turn on the fridge I get a warning light flashing on the charger (It doesn't shut down; just a warning). The temp light and charger lights flash indicating the unit it overheating.

Strange .. I thought it was the charger, and replaced it, but the new one does exactly the same.
Old 19-06-2011, 08:48   #11

I had a true charge 40a that went crazy Xantrex replaced it under warrenty I never took the replacment out of the box sold it and replaced it with iota charger I am very happy with the new charger
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 08:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
If the ambient temperature is to high my Xantrex will do the same thing. I have to set the battery temp mode in warm or cold position. If I run it in the cold battery temp mode where it puts out max amps to the battery bank it will show charger overheat. I put a small fan blowing on the charger, and it worked fine, no overheat. But in the summer temps, mine is set in the warm battery temp mode.
Temp setting on the charger is set at warm and I am using the optional battery temperature sensor. Fan on the charger seems to working ok too. The charger is sitting in a pretty open area in the stern of the boat. If I have to add an external fan to make this work, that's crazy as it's not even that warm here yet. I'm in Canada.
Old 19-06-2011, 09:02   #13
Eternal Member

Sailorman,

I strongly suspect that the Xantrex charger is whacky. The Frigoboat Madrid 35F only draws 3 amps....not nearly enough to overload the charger.

If you can, I'd dump the Xantrex and get a decent charger like, perhaps, an Iota DLS-45/IQ4 or DLS-55/IQ4. Like the earlier poster, however, you might try Xantrex tech support....who knows, you could be the lucky one to actually get some help there!

JMO,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 09:03   #14

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

The fan I put blowing on mine was only temporary to see if it would stop alarming. I'm in Rio Dulce, very warm. After hearing more, I'm not sure what I could say that would be helpful. But I'll bet someone here has an answer. And for what its worth, I have had no problems with my Xantrex TrueCharge2 since new, 3 years.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 09:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Sailorman,

I strongly suspect that the Xantrex charger is whacky. The Frigoboat Madrid 35F only draws 3 amps....not nearly enough to overload the charger.

If you can, I'd dump the Xantrex and get a decent charger like, perhaps, an Iota DLS-45/IQ4 or DLS-55/IQ4. Like the earlier poster, however, you might try Xantrex tech support....who knows, you could be the lucky one to actually get some help there!

JMO,

Bill
I wonder if this could be something other than the charger. The reason I replaced the charger is because the CRISTEC 25A unit that was originally in the boat was putting too much charge into the batteries with the refrigerator on 7/24 and unit on float and they were venting.

When I turn the fridge on it only uses 20% the charger capacity but after 30 mins of so the charger shows the warning.

I've owned the boat since new, and I know the wiring is all original.

Tags
battery, overheating, refrigerator