Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2009, 11:45   #1

Boat: Passport 41-Touche'
Xantrex 2000r Charging Trouble

I rewired my charging system from a two bank to one house and a starter battery. Now I am not getting any charge from my alternator. I checked the charge on the alternator bypassing the regulator nd it puts out 16 volts. Wiht the key off i am getting 4.7 volts on the brown wire to the regulator and 0 volts to the blue wire. With the key on I get 12.7 on the red wire ,12.7 on the brown wire and 28.8 on the blue wire. Unable to check with motor running because my fuel tanks are empty from cleaning. I am guessing the regulator is bad, Xantrex technical people of little help. If anyone has help I would appreciate it. Thanks

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 18:14   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
The symptoms indicate a probable loss of "ground" consisting of the alternator negative, the regulator negative and the battery negative served by the alternator. One wire connection seems to be missing or poor.

You did not outline exactly what changes you made to the wiring yet those changes are suspicious.

"I don't think there'll be a return journey Mr. Frodo". Samwise Gamgee
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 18:33   #3

Boat: Passport 41-Touche'
I changed the wiring from the alternator so it would go straight to the house bank instead of through a 3 way switch. I did not change any of the regulator wiring or alternator wiring except to route the alternator positive straight to the house bank. Thanks Ed
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 15:56   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
We need more info. Is this a 12 VDC or a 24 VDC system? If 12 VDC, 28.8 VDC on the brown wire (supplies power to the regulator) indicates you have batteries in series, not parallel. What is the status of the LEDs? Have you ensured that in reorganizing the battery banks, you haven't introduced a monitoring and control wiring error?

If you don't have it, here is a link to the Xantrex web page where you can download the Operator's Manual:

More questions than answers...sorry.
Charlie Johnson
JTB Marine Corporation
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: