Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-12-2014, 19:31   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Would this be visible at 2 nm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mark J and Zee, as practicing cruisers have nailed the essence here: if the light is visible to someone entering that area, it is bright enough. How do you tell? Go and look for yourself! ----
Amen.

Old 12-12-2014, 19:34   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

74' Burger motor yacht with an 80' mast height

...and it's too small to live on???

jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 20:32   #33

I used to use a Perko kerosene anchor light, but in the Marquesas I realized that I could often not see it from a 1/2 mile away in an anchorage. Row in the general direction and hope I would pick up the anchor light. I also agree with not liking mast head anchor lights since it is very hard to judge distances with the light 40/50/80 feet in the sky. Raised in the foretriangle like the regs say gives you the best depth perception. Just another 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
Old 13-12-2014, 05:46   #34
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
What are you doing anchoring in a shipping lane in those conditions?
We never know exactly where we are going to anchor. Our first choice would not be in a shipping lane but if we find ourselves with mechanical problems or a medical emergency, we may have to anchor where we are at the time until help arrives.

As for "not planning to be out at night", the same answer really. You can't guarantee you won't be out at night unless you never leave the dock.

You really need to equip your boat with legal navigation and anchor lights "just in case". And it won't pass a safety inspection without them.
Old 13-12-2014, 06:49   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i am usually out at night, i usually donot head into a new harbor indarkness. zihuat was a pleasant exception. we entered the bay at 2045, anchored t 2230 or so and fby midnite we had settled in nicely... i could see zero anchor lights.
in morning when i awoke and looked out at sunrise, i saw many anchored boats with masthead lights i could not see in darkness. was most enlightening.
i am rather happy my masthead light doesnt work as i saw how ineffetive they are.
a friend with a schooner uses oil lamp in his forward triangle for foresail-- is nicely visible in darkness and looks like a boat. perfect.

we drifted in and out of shipping lanes during various legs of my adventure .. so far-- no problem.. we were moving with current and had someone on watch all the time-i had a helper for a bit---and we were seen nicely by the big boys. just try to not drift in th e merge zone for a busy port--was a lil exciting out side of lazaro cardenas, as that shipping port is very busy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 07:39   #36

Boat: Homebuilt--my second, mostly complete. 49' cat

Hi

My concern would be being seen in a anchorage, as stated above. In the regs, it states that large boats should illuminate the work deck so as to define the hazard another boat is approaching. While you need an anchor light to meet the regs (especially at 74' long), the light you describe would be great on the deck just to show approaching boats where you are. Maybe one fore and one aft---dimmed as seen appropriate for the conditions and the location. As a motor yacht, recharging shouldn't be a problem. Given the length, putting enough solar panels out should be easy.

I just bought my 2 mile light for under thirty dollars, and five hundred feet of Ancor marine wire for under 200. With LED lights, currents are small resulting in very little loss in the wire.

What I don't understand is how you bought a boat that didn't already meet the regs for the lights in the first place.
Old 13-12-2014, 08:00   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip St1 View Post
What I don't understand is how you bought a boat that didn't already meet the regs for the lights in the first place.
I was wondering the same thing.

The point of navigation lights and anchor lights is to make your boat visible to other boaters so hopefully they will avoid hitting it in the dark. Skimping on these lights is pretty foolish in my opinion.
Old 14-12-2014, 00:42   #38

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Would this be visible at 2 nm?

The boat I have with the 80' mast is a sailboat. Not a Burger; but another boat, a sailboat. I have several pair of shoes, boats, etc. And the poster means to say, one should never buy a boat if it has no installed anchor light or lacks any other legally required item. No matter what. Well everyone has rules they live by I suppose. Its a 12 metre and none of them to my knowledge were built with anchor lights. Just like if you buy a race car, it does not have that little bell if you don't fasten your seat belt.
Now if you were negotiating to buy a race car and you told the seller you did not want to buy it because it did not have that important, federally mandated safety feature, he would have a good laugh on account of that.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 14-12-2014, 07:47   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

there are no rules about what condition a purchased boat should be in. get over that.
there are no rules saying thou shalt only have a masthead light.
get over that one.
the law DOES say thou shalt be seen for 2 miles.
and so...
..do it.
masthead lights are NOT visible against a background of a city or a town especially in seasons for celebration with all kinds of lights.. such as christmas. (eg, zihuatenejo, among other ports)
use a good lighting system at eye level so you are seen.
spreader lighting is seen 3 miles away as a wierd lighting pattern.
it would be a wonderful idea to light uo your decks so you can be seen.
it would be wonderful if folks would augment their un-see-able masthead lights with a real light that is visible. these infernal deevices became popular with yotties in 1980s, and should have been burned at the stake.
what is visible in open ocean when sailing is NOT visible in an anchorage where they are so much needed.

i remember the biiiig excitement over masthead lights in 80s and 90s...i am glad i never could afford nor see the questionable value of the damthings as they are useless. was soo much excitement everyone HAD to have em... too bad they didnt make sure they are visible against a background of a city.
shame no one saw fit to augmnent these masthead light with a real light that is visible for 2 miles against a city backdrop.
DO use spreader mounted lights to light deck. as all of you folks use led lighting, this should not be a problem nor expensive after the initial purchase, and will make you visible in an anchorage even against a backdrop of a christmas tree city.
the few who do this are visible in anchorages. imagine that.
DO use cockpit lighting to make your boat distinctive in an anchorage..is easier to see a boat that is different than one that matches allll the rest.
is a shame not many use imagination to properly light up your boat in an anchorage. you are soo careful to be seen in a seaway--why not in an anchorage, as well....
it only makes sense.
instead, youy pan the folk susing lighting other thsan masthead anchoir lights, and you diss folk s whop use other kinds of VISIBLE lighting so as to b eseen in an anchorage.
seems most of those doing the dissing of the visible lights with imagination do not come out here to cruise and anchor. iff y'alls have boats to display lights on, make sure before you leave that your system is actually functional, not an invisibility against a city backdrop.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 12:09   #40

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

First of all, if properly installed and powered, anchor lights sold specifically for use as anchor lights are going to meet requirements, and having a brand and model that has been properly tested and accepted is way less hassle than jury rigging something to do the job. Sailboat navigation lights are not that expensive that you would ever need to use a camp lantern.

The rules prohibit display of other lights that could be mistaken for navigation lights. So consider carefully before you display two white lights, one above the other. Spreader lights, being several feet apart in a horizontal line, are clearly not navigation lights. So I suggest replacing your spreader lights with LED lights, for deck illumination.

A camp lantern, whether battery or kero, does work nicely hung from the boom. It isn't likely to confuse anyone as it will be illuminating the cockpit.

Forgetting about the rules for a moment and considering the reason for requiring lights, I.e. The need to be seen and identified as a vessel anchored or whatever, I hope you at least have a good corner type radar reflector. Or more than one. And an anchor ball and other appropriate dayshapes. An AIS is a fine thing to have, as well, and don't forget your whistle or horn, and bell if required.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 13:14   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Ha!

For all my talk about displaying a nice bright legal anchor light, I turned off all our lights to enjoy the Geminid meteor shower.

Sitting out in the cockpit, just a few minutes ago with a glass of scotch watching the display in a deserted anchorage with some music playing in the background when bugger the sound of a local fishing boat. They had no lights, but neither did we.

So you never know who is going to arrive in the middle of the night. Make sure those anchor lights can be seen.
Old 14-12-2014, 13:43   #42

Boat: Homebuilt--my second, mostly complete. 49' cat

My boat will be 45 feet long, and have all the lights required for boats over 40 feet. I would like to light up the cockpit to be able to be seen at night. Does anyone have a suggestion about what color LED's would be appropriate for that purpose? White seems so pedestrian---and it ruins your night vision. Red and green are for nav lights. Maybe purple? What do you think?
Old 14-12-2014, 14:36   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

The only colour of light that will preserve your night vision better is red. If it is bright it will not make much difference.
Red has the drawback that it could be mistaken for a port navigation light and is poorly seen by some colour defective observers.

White is as good as anything and the light might double for other purposes such as reading in the cockpit. An unusual colour does have the advantage that it can be picked out if you are trying to keep a watch, from a distance, on your boat in a crowded anchorage.

Blue is not common, it cannot be mistaken for a port or starboard navigation light and its only nautical meaning seems to be "I am refuelling" which should make other boats keep away

Make sure you have a while all round light as well.
Old 14-12-2014, 15:22   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip St1 View Post
My boat will be 45 feet long, and have all the lights required for boats over 40 feet. I would like to light up the cockpit to be able to be seen at night. Does anyone have a suggestion about what color LED's would be appropriate for that purpose? White seems so pedestrian---and it ruins your night vision. Red and green are for nav lights. Maybe purple? What do you think?
Why not avoid overthinking this and just install lights that meet or exceed the rules?
As for the cockpit, white is the most useful.
Old 14-12-2014, 17:03   #45

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

For preserving night vision you want to stay away from the blue end of the spectrum. Orange, amber, yellow, etc would be slightly better than white. Red would work if it is shielded so it is only perceived as a glow from other vessels and not as an intentionally displayed light. But for high visibility, just go white, and don't look at the lights or at flat shiny reflecty surfaces. Or make some red goggles.

One minor disadvantage of red light is anything written pretty printed in red will be invisible. It simply disappears.

GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: