Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 04:00   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Would this be visible at 2 nm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've got that lantern and it is bright, as in maybe like a 60W 120V light bulb bright...
FWIW: The luminous efficacy of a typical incandescent bulb is about 16 - 18 lumens per watt; hence the 580 lumen lamp would be roughly equivalent to a 30 - 40 watt incandescent.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:27   #17

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
Coleman - LED Lanterns | Camp Lanterns | Coleman - Twin High Power LED Lantern

580 lumens appears to be as bright or brighter than the "certified" 2 nm anchor lights. Could run a 12v cord with it and hoist it with the jib halyard.
Or maybe lumens are not created equal? Not to suggest I would use this instead of a "certified" anchor light. I follow all government regulations of course, without question.
I do not see people on camping fora gushing about how fantastic marine anchor lights are for lighting up their campground.
But could be an inexpensive second light, closer to ground and easier for traffic to see.
Have you considered using these portable anchor lights?

cruisingsolutions.com/product/mega-bright-anchor-light/ [I have no affiliation; just a customer...]

I keep a couple of the 15 LED models on board (0.1amp) Plenty bright for an anchor light, and it lights the deck nicely too.

I've been using these for years (one each on fore and aft deck areas of a 50' sailboat) to supplement the 60 ft high masthead light- which isn't as helpful for close-quartered vessels...
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:33   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW: The luminous efficacy of a typical incandescent bulb is about 16 - 18 lumens per watt; hence the 580 lumen lamp would be roughly equivalent to a 30 - 40 watt incandescent.
Your right I'm sure, only thing is compared say to my Coleman 2 tube florescent, it is WAY brighter than that although the two tube is rechargeable and it's battery is a SLAB (sealed lead acid battery) and happens to be the one that is in a lot of Emergency exit lights, so it's easy and cheap to replace.
This thing if hauled 10 ft or so up my mast would I'm sure illuminate the whole deck well enough so that you could read a newspaper.

But, then so would an LED spreader light, and you don't have to haul anything up, all you would have to do is flip a switch

I'm all for being lit up, I'll never turn off my anchor light at night even if I'm in an anchorage that doesn't require it. I just think there are better ways to illuminate your deck than a battery powered lantern, although it is a great little lantern for grilling after dark, walks on the beach at night etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:32   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"lumens" aren't really a measure of brightness. You measure lumens by both the brightness and the area the light is covering. So, the same "bulb" with a beam covering a 2x2 foot area, four square feet, would be rated at 1/4 of the number of lumens that a bulb covering only one square foot is rated at.

if you don't know beamspread, lumens are deceptive and tricky stuff. I've got a small LED flashlight that's rated (ha) 2000 lumens. Well, sure, when the beam is focused down to a single foot square on the opposite wall. Open it out to 12' square...and the lumens plummets.

If I was a card-carrying cynic I'd say companies brag about "lumens" because no one can understand them and catch the deception. But I don't carry my card.

So take the lantern, hoist it, call someone who is two miles away and ask them if they can see which one it is. If they can SEE it, you just passed the USCG statutory requirement. Just remember, that requirement is a MINIMUM standard. Would you buy the minimum standard in a parachute?

Now call someone who is three miles away.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 13:23   #20

I would be real careful with that Jack, just because you can illuminate the deck with it , by no means does that give you the 2nm minimum required by law. That's why the lens is as important as the type and size of the light. If the freighter or supertanker only sees your camping lantern at 100 feet, do you think that is going to do you any good?
shipleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 13:38   #21

Exactly! Maybe, none of these boats will ever find themselves in that situation where you are dead in the water at night, in heavy rain or fog, in a shipping lane and you are hearing that swish , swish , swish of a very large propeller, somewhere very close to you, but you aren't sure if they know you are there. Then the cost and inconvenience of putting up a proper light doesn't really seem like an issue.
shipleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 15:04   #22

Boat: Camano Troll

Talk about people getting carried away.

"Lumens"? "Luminous intensity"? "Pedanticised the whole anchor light rules"? "the cost of a marine part can be ten times the cost of a general use part?"

People, it's an anchor light. You go to West Marine or even Walmart and plunk down a few dollars, take it to the boat and install it following the instructions. Amazon.com will be happy to sell you any one of a dozen or more varieties.

Connect it to your boat's electrical system with a fuse and a switch and you're done. You're legal and you're relatively safe.

Why make such a big deal of such a simple thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mari...ghts+for+boats
Old 12-12-2014, 16:04   #23

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Not certain how bright or how many lumens those old kerosene lanterns put out but we used them for years towing log booms down the coast in the PNW. Also used them for years as anchor lights. While small, they were cheap and denoted the last section of boom we were towing. You could see them for at least a couple of miles even in dark, rainy weather. Just drove a piece of re-bar into the last boomstick or swifter and went back in the skiff to refill the kerosene base every 3 days or so and gave the wick a bit of a trim. Never had another vessel run into the boom as far as we knew (but maybe it happened). Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 16:10   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

I like boats that have whatever the requirement is and then a plain lamp somewhere so that a portion of the foredeck or the cockpit is lit too. I hope such an extra utility lamp is not against regulations. In any case, it helps me heaps when entering an anchorage in the dark.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 16:16   #25
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
if you don't know beamspread, lumens are deceptive and tricky stuff. I've got a small LED flashlight that's rated (ha) 2000 lumens. Well, sure, when the beam is focused down to a single foot square on the opposite wall. Open it out to 12' square...and the lumens plummets.

)
Suspect you've got that the wrong way round, lumens are how much, candelas are brightness. Sort of. A lumen focused on a single foot is the same amount as a lumen focused over 12 feet. Just not as bright.
Iprcs specs lights in candelas.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 16:42   #26

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Yes, a battery powered lantern is a very useful emergency light strung in the rigging. I have certainly used one with a flat battery in the days when I sailed small engine-less boats! Also big lights show up well and camping lanterns tend to have a larger lit area. Colman lights are generally good quality and waterproof so last well on a boat (i have one that is well over 10 years old. All the stuff about masthead lights misses the point that an anchor light is supposed to be suspended in the fore triangle. The white masthead lights are often lost against the shore lights or stars
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 16:51   #27

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I really don't agree with the must have upper and lower anchor lights theory. If your mast is 20m, and the other boat is 20m away, then the angle from them to the light is 45 degrees. That is roughly the limit of the human view WHEN LOOKING STRAIGHT AHEAD!!
So, the other helmsman does not have to look up, unless he is closer than 1 mast length. If he's that close, and not aware of you, he's not looking! If he's not looking, lighting won't matter!
Old 12-12-2014, 18:15   #28

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipleft View Post
I would be real careful with that Jack, just because you can illuminate the deck with it , by no means does that give you the 2nm minimum required by law. That's why the lens is as important as the type and size of the light. If the freighter or supertanker only sees your camping lantern at 100 feet, do you think that is going to do you any good?
You're right about that, of course. But I also use a masthead light. The lantern is mainly for close-in visibility.

I plan to row 2 miles away some day and see how visible the lantern is, but haven't done so yet.

Thanks for the comment,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 18:18   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipleft View Post
Exactly! Maybe, none of these boats will ever find themselves in that situation where you are dead in the water at night, in heavy rain or fog, in a shipping lane and you are hearing that swish , swish , swish of a very large propeller, somewhere very close to you, but you aren't sure if they know you are there. Then the cost and inconvenience of putting up a proper light doesn't really seem like an issue.
What are you doing anchoring in a shipping lane in those conditions?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 18:26   #30

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
My mast is about 80 feet high. and no wires in it right now. So installing a conventional anchor light will not be easy and will be very expensive.Considering the boat is not for cruising but only for day sails, and no plans to be out at night.. unless there is a problem. Its too small of a sailboat to live on for my tastes
You have a 74' Burger motor yacht with an 80' mast height? Could I possibly see a picture of that vessel?