OK... I mis-wired the two batteries and drained my 66 amp battery
. The good news, the battery
was new and they just gave me another new one to replace it. I also had burned the wires off of my vhf radio
and my depth sounder
and I found that there was probably a short that was in the wiring
before I added the new battery. Whatever I did brought that to light pretty quickly. More good news is that I re-wired the radio
finder and both now work great! I also wired fuses
into these older instruments.
I had talked to Skip in Florida
and he really helped me go through all of the possibilities and how to check them out. That's how I found the wiring
mistake. All seems to be working fine and I learned a lot. Mainly, I learned to label my cables
and wires so that when I do change things I will not have to "remember" where everything goes.
Also, the note about the reserve 60 amps in my batteries helped me to re add all of the items I use at night and to look at that again. As I stated, the one battery would make it through the night but would be drained in the morning. I believe what I meant was that the battery was down to the reserve amps and would not give any more. I am anxious to get out (week of May 1st) for several days and nights to test the two batteries combined. We will see.
Also, it is good to know that others think that one battery will not pull down the other but should give me the full additive amps.
All of you have really helped me with this and I am gaining confidence in my ability to work with electricity on my boat. THANKS TO ALL!
PS- I have a blog for any that may be interested. I will be posting
something about this "learning" experience.