Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 14:18   #1

Wiring my boat from scratch....

I am rebuilding my '72 Pearson 33 including (30 amp) re-wiring and re-plumbing. Is there a very basic 101 how to begin the wiring both AC and DC? I have bought a new AC panal and 2 new DC panals. I planned to hang devices ie ProMariner 12-20 charger (2 AGM group 31 in parallel for house and one AGM for Yanmar), VHF, chartplotter, LED cabin lights, nav lights and THAN pull wire to the panal. Also will be installing a Galvanic isolator.

Ideally, it would be nice if the was a video of step 1,2,3,4 etc

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. FWIW....I was an Aviation Electronic tech now 68 and "I don't want to have to understand how the engine works to drive the car!"

Gary
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 14:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Wiring my boat from scratch....

The only comment that I would share with you is:

Being a scratch install design the wiring and draw a schematic then wire to that schematic.

Later you will be happy to have the schematic.

Best of luck!
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 14:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
The only comment that I would share with you is:

Being a scratch install design the wiring and draw a schematic then wire to that schematic.

Later you will be happy to have the schematic.

Best of luck!
That certainly makes sense however, it is the actually wiring and implementation of the schematic that I am confused over. How to layout and physically wire and layout....terminal blocks, bus bars starting from ProMariner charger to DC panal than to devices.
Old 25-07-2018, 14:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Couple of good boat wiring books on amazon
Old 25-07-2018, 14:52   #5

Start here:

Electrical Systems 101
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 14:56   #6

Wow....thank you!
Old 25-07-2018, 15:13   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Read a few books and make a DC plan and implement it. AC you should bring in a pro if you don't know what your doing.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 15:18   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Another useful source: https://marinehowto.com/

Keep in mind that you have a responsibility to your fellow boaters,marinas, passengers ,etc.,to not create a hazard.
Ask lots of questions. Everyone had to learn.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...am-204604.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-144435.html

Cheers / Len
Old 25-07-2018, 15:34   #9

Boat: Catalina 28 MK I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Agreed - this is a fine compendium of information. It may take a few read throughs for things to make sense but all you need is in there.

On a slightly different tack - but good quality tools and a good multi meter. After cutting and crimping dozens of connections you'll realize it is money well spent. Mainesail has a recommendation for specific tools at www.marinehowto.com
Buy quality connectors in big bags - sometimes 100 will cost not much more than the little retail bag of 3 or 5.
I've had good luck buying wire and connectors from www.
genuinedealz.com
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 02:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See also:
Marinco’s “A Boater's Guide To AC Electrical Systems”
http://kelownayachtclub.com/wp-conte...atersGuide.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 08:40   #11

Have a pro come look Over your boat. Discuss your needs and wants. Draw you a diagram to follow. When you are finished wiring. Have him come back to check it out.

There is no online one way correct solution. Every boat is different.

The cost of a few hours of his time could save you a lot of money and headaches later. (And wasted parts / wire to redo it)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 08:49   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Asking for basic advice because you are going to do a full design and build of A/C D/C circuits? This is NOT a simple job and the A/C could kill you. You can learn to become an electrician and it is one of the most useful boat skills but you need to read several books and be sure you understand the principles. You need a basic text on principle of electricity. Then one on general wiring practice. Then one on marine electricity. The problem most people seam to get are around correct battery charging, particularly alternator voltage regulation earthing. On earthing you need to understand how A/C and D/C grounds/earths differ and what they do - yes they ARE different. Different again is radio grounding and galvanic protection. It is well worth getting to grips with the theory on this and it will save a lot of time money and frustration in the long run.

PS electrical apprenticeships require high school graduation not a degree so not that hard but does take time.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:09   #13

Boat: Hudson 50

I re-wired my 1972 Yorktown Slip a few years ago. I referenced several books to help me including the 12 v Bible. You have already received some good advice but I would add the following.

-Figure out your wiring plan first. How will you route your wiring so it is neat and easy to service. Do you need to upgrade your battery banks, electrical panel , etc.
-Install the big ticket items first- battery bank , electrical panel , etc
-Follow the ABYC wiring standard for color and size of wiring
- Bus bars are good. I installed hot and ground bus bars close to my panel and wired them back to the battery bank with appropriately sized wire
-Always crimp your connections and seal with shrink wrap
-Be very careful how you route your wiring that you don’t create stress points
-Support the wiring with wiring ties
-Get a label maker and label both ends of rack circuit
- probably the best advice is to work on one circuit at a time. Look at how the circuit is run at present. Can you improve on the routing? Can you make it more water tight? Can you support it better? By working on one circuit at a time it kept me from getting overwhelmed with the scale of the project. If I had a couple of hours I would run a new circuit and try to do it really well .

It sounds like a lot of work but it gave me a lot of satisfaction to open my panel and show other sailors how well it was organized and my electrical system became very dependable for the next 20 years

Best of luck!
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:28   #14

With your background in aviation electronics I'd have thought that you'd be primed and ready to roll on wiring a boat. I've many times wished that the wiring in my boat was even remotely close to the precision and neatness of what you see in aircraft. The consideration of vibration in aircraft wiring (protection from) shouldn't be as critical in a boat: if you even come close in your boat to what's seen in a plane, you'll have a boat that will impress any knowledgable mariner.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:51   #15

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandeep View Post
I re-wired my 1972 Yorktown Slip a few years ago. I referenced several books to help me including the 12 v Bible. You have already received some good advice but I would add the following.

-Figure out your wiring plan first. How will you route your wiring so it is neat and easy to service. Do you need to upgrade your battery banks, electrical panel , etc.
-Install the big ticket items first- battery bank , electrical panel , etc
-Follow the ABYC wiring standard for color and size of wiring
- Bus bars are good. I installed hot and ground bus bars close to my panel and wired them back to the battery bank with appropriately sized wire
-Always crimp your connections and seal with shrink wrap
-Be very careful how you route your wiring that you don’t create stress points
-Support the wiring with wiring ties
-Get a label maker and label both ends of rack circuit
- probably the best advice is to work on one circuit at a time. Look at how the circuit is run at present. Can you improve on the routing? Can you make it more water tight? Can you support it better? By working on one circuit at a time it kept me from getting overwhelmed with the scale of the project. If I had a couple of hours I would run a new circuit and try to do it really well .

It sounds like a lot of work but it gave me a lot of satisfaction to open my panel and show other sailors how well it was organized and my electrical system became very dependable for the next 20 years

Best of luck!
+ 1 on all the Oceandeep points above and many good advices.

Also:
  • Stu's 101 is excellent, pay particular attention to Maine Sail's 1-2-Both battery idea and follow it.
  • Its imperative that you have the proper tools - stripper, crimpers (both wires and battery) and cable cutters. Again, Maine Sail's (bless you Rod) has done all the research for you.
  • I completely rewired my boat which was all original and a fire time bomb, first time, no electrical background, easy job, but tedious. You need to understand how everything fits together, and follow ABYC.
  • The best book is Charlie Wing's electrical handbook.
  • Find a good supplier - you will be back many times for wire, heat-shrink wire connectors, battery lugs, battery cables, etc. I recommend https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/ or https://www.genuinedealz.com/ - ED: Assuming you are on the west side of the pond.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, wiring