Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 18:46   #1
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49
Wireless Windlass & Thruster Remote Kit?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has experience with windlass remote controls like this one form Lewmar --

5-Button Wireless Windlass & Thruster Remote Kit

I was referred to this website, www.fisheriessupply.com, and found it there. I am on a Hunter 49 with a bow thruster, and I do not have any anchor control at the helm (bow thruster at helm, anchor control up front). If I could both use the bow thruster and the anchor control from the same physical location, that would be nice. Thus, the remote control seems great. It is only $415 or so, and seems like a great solution to the problem.

Any experience with this?
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 19:24   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Wireless Windlass & Thruster Remote Kit?

I've been eyeing these remotes for overhead cranes on Amazon.

Finlon Hoist Crane Radio Wireless Remote Control Industrial Transmitter&Receiver F21E1B(24V) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XS8G1V2..._VwoJAbFVP58JY

We only have a windlass so we'll look for a less button model. I don't see why you couldn't wire up the buttons to do both windlass and thruster.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 19:42   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I have installed one of these for my windlass works great. Bought a spare too. Cheap!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Wi...72.m2749.l2649
Old 21-02-2018, 09:06   #4
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

I use the jeep winch remote on my windlass, great addition! Only issue is small fob switch ran out of battery pretty quick . You have the same experience? Bigger switch has been fine.
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 08:32   #5

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
I have installed one of these for my windlass works great. Bought a spare too. Cheap!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Wi...72.m2749.l2649
That is exactly the unit I used with two powerful relays all mounted in a box in the bow. I also have wires brought back to two manual buttons. I am an electronic engineer so I like to have a fall-back solution available. I also have a four way remote for the spotlight and a 15 way one for all the other niceties.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 08:42   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

I used the same cheap ebay wireless, works GREAT, from any place on the boat. My relay in in the salon about 3 ft from the windlass so reception has been excellent.
When it goes bad, I will buy another just like it
Less than the tax alone on a $450 buy.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHR View Post
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has experience with windlass remote controls like this one form Lewmar --

5-Button Wireless Windlass & Thruster Remote Kit

I was referred to this website, www.fisheriessupply.com, and found it there. I am on a Hunter 49 with a bow thruster, and I do not have any anchor control at the helm (bow thruster at helm, anchor control up front). If I could both use the bow thruster and the anchor control from the same physical location, that would be nice. Thus, the remote control seems great. It is only $415 or so, and seems like a great solution to the problem.

Any experience with this?
There is about $10 worth of parts inside. My anchor remote doesn't work, I installed it after the waranty was up. No way am I paying $300 plus for junk.
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 12:51   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I was thinking of using wireless control when I had my bow thruster installed. Would have save me a bunch of trouble running the wires, which I still have not done. But the sales people recommended against using wireless, even though I would have spent more money with them if I did go that way. Their reasoning was in terms of reliability, remote control being misplaced, AAA batteries running down, etc.

Also you want a joystick to be permanently mounted at the helm so you aren't having to hold it in one hand while using the other for throttle and steering. Do any of these remotes provide such physical configuration?
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 12:59   #9

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Also you want a joystick to be permanently mounted at the helm so you aren't having to hold it in one hand while using the other for throttle and steering. Do any of these remotes provide such physical configuration?
I have both a wired and a wireless version for my anchor. I let it down at the helm and brig it up at the windlass.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 15:04   #10

Boat: Duncanson 43 foot

We have controls at the anchor and foot controls at the anchor. Recently bought a wireless from eBay for a few dollars. Simple installation and works well. Tested unit from 50 metres and still reception was good. Useful to be able to view anchor chain as well as not having toes etc near chain when letting out or retrieving. Not sos ure for bow thruster. We were offical guests on a 60 very expensive launch when the wireless link was lost and the boat slammed into the wharf.
Miss Saigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 05:24   #11

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Much as a wireless windlass remote sounds appealing, the shank of our Rochna resides under our genoa fuller and requires a nudge to get it overboard. On retrieval, our all- chain rode makes a poop - pile in the chain locker which will jam the windlass if you don't manually shove it down after every 50' or so hauled in.

I would really welcome suggestions.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 05:25   #12

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Saigon View Post
We have controls at the anchor and foot controls at the anchor. Recently bought a wireless from eBay for a few dollars. Simple installation and works well. Tested unit from 50 metres and still reception was good. Useful to be able to view anchor chain as well as not having toes etc near chain when letting out or retrieving. Not sos ure for bow thruster. We were offical guests on a 60 very expensive launch when the wireless link was lost and the boat slammed into the wharf.
I don't get it. What link to what was lost that made it slam into the wharf?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 15:24   #13

Boat: Duncanson 43 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
I don't get it. What link to what was lost that made it slam into the wharf?
Not sure, but entire steering and engine controls were linked to a small notepad . The young skipper literally ran over the top of the guests when he realised that the link had dropped out.
Miss Saigon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, wind, windlass