Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2010, 07:36   #16

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
If these wires are run alongside others, a "bundling" factor should be applied to the amperage rating, for 3 wires it is 0.7 reducing the capacity for #10 to 28 amps. This should also be reduced in engine/other hot spaces. If boat cable were used, the insulation rating is ususally 105 degrees, giving a slightly higher ampacity, but I'd be afraid to run that hot. I have a 2500 watt inverter and 8 ga wire. Quality boat cable, tinned crimp connections and adhesive lined shrink wrap have done well for me.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 13:43   #17

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Christian Van H - 'wire bug' type connectors - are you suggesting crimp style? I have these on board for 10ga wire but not sure its any better than what was there.
Once again, see here: Blackburn #4/0 Stranded to #2 Solid Split Bolt Connector, Copper - 30H-B1 at The Home Depot ...then follow previous directions

BTW, yes I know the size is wrong for your application. I just used the link as an illustration. Also, the previous poster is correct. The maximum breaker you should use if you boat has 30 amp service is 30 amps...NO MORE. By using a bigger breaker you are saying you dont mind melting your 30 amp shorepower cord and socket if there is a short in your boat...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 14:04   #18
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
A properly sized Euro style block will properly accept the wire AND is rated at the ampacity of the wire AND it has a pressure plate that secures the multi-strand wire without breaking strands.

Pacer p/n E400-12 is rated at 40 amps and accepts AWG 12 & 10. Pacer E650-12 is rated at 65 amps and accepts AWG 10 & 8. Either one of these is perfectly acceptable. The Pacer website: Wire and Cable Manufacturers

Speaking as a professional, I hope this helps.
Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 14:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Speaking as a professional, I hope this helps.
Charlie
Charlie, would YOU reach for a block like this if you were to wire up this unit?

Old 26-04-2010, 14:19   #20
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep. I have used the Pacer p/n's I referenced to wire somewhere between 15 and 20 Xantrex inverter/chargers...no failures, no fear and all the magic smoke stays inside the box.

Charlie
Old 26-04-2010, 14:22   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I was surprised when Kevin said there was a bearing plate under the screws as there was so much damage to the wire strands. Kevin, do you have any idea what caused the damage to the wires? Was that damage there before the fire or was it part of the aftermath?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 15:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Yep. I have used the Pacer p/n's I referenced to wire somewhere between 15 and 20 Xantrex inverter/chargers...no failures, no fear and all the magic smoke stays inside the box.
There you have it. If it's good enough for Charlie, it's way way good enough for me! I still like my bugs though...

Old 26-04-2010, 16:24   #23

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
A loose, corroded or otherwise high resistance connection in the block would cause local heating and the pictured result. It need not be excessive current, just excessive current for the poor connection condition.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 18:57   #24

Boy I hate to sound like the small town cop giving you a ticket but You have an issue here.

Do you have the book for this thing? One way or the other you have something wrong. If the recommended feed breaker is 40 amps then you need 40 amp wire! If you have a 40 amp breaker and 30 amp wire you have a problem. If you have 30 amp wire and 30 amp connections you have more problem. If the recommended feed is 30 amps you have a problem.

Generally speaking if it puts out 3kw as an inverter I would guess the relay is rated about the same. Look at the book!

Most of the higher temp insulations are over-rated for the purposes of de-rating; not to run at that current. So a high temp #10 rated at 40 amps is still a 30 amp wire but can be de-rated from 40 amps. It never carries more than 30 amps. This is where a professional comes in.

Bundling is the same as conduit fill and depends on a lot of factors. See above. 3kw is 26
amps@115 which is the voltage used for calcs.

You can continue to badmouth professionals and continue to stumble.

Um Saudade
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 20:37   #25
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, I just looked at the Xantrex (NOT Zantrex) tech manual for the Freedom line of MSW inverter/chargers. The picture on page 25 of that manual shows the wiring compartment and the compression (Euro style) type terminal strip pre-installed on the device's pigtails.

Charlie
Old 26-04-2010, 22:22   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I can confirm that the Freedom30 comes with the silly terminal strips as shown on the photo of the first post. I chucked the whole thing into the garbage container recently, what a piece of junk.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter