Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 06:21   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Winter Battery Storage / Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Yes good point about the cost. There are also some potential corrosion problems connected to shore power. I have also seen the boat end of the shore power plug develop some corrosion and melt. No fires, but close.
Solar solves all these problems and I think it is the better solution
But in the great white North solar panels can fill with snow if left unattended and the the controllers stand-by draw can bleed down the bank. If you can keep it free and clear of snow and have an appropriate controller then they work great. I have solar, and the boat gets stored next to the house, and I still disconnect it and let them sit..
Old 14-11-2011, 06:36   #17

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

A small solar panel like these will work perfectly.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post363023
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 06:56   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
But in the great white North solar panels can fill with snow if left unattended and the the controllers stand-by draw can bleed down the bank. If you can keep it free and clear of snow and have an appropriate controller then they work great. I have solar, and the boat gets stored next to the house, and I still disconnect it and let them sit..
Your making me cold. Winter is almost here and overnight temperatures are dropping down to 13 deg C (55F). That’s cold enough.
As you say at temperatures where you can get snow self discharge for 2 months is not a big problem. In the Med its common for people to leave there boat unattended for 5 months with much higher temperatures so self discharge becomes a significant issue.
I have no experience with snow on solar panels (thankfully), but would have thought mounting the panel at steep angle when leaving the boat for winter, would solve the problem.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 07:47   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Ok. I'm just going to disconnect the batteries as I've done in the past. I was just trying to determine if it was worth it to have the trickle charger since these are new batteries this year, but didn't really want to screw around with rigging up the panel outside the cover etc. I charged up the batteries and checked the water the other day.
Old 14-11-2011, 08:38   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Don,

Several options for caring for your new batteries.

1. Your suggestion, pull them out and put them in home intensive care. Not a viable option for the stated reasons.

2. Disconnect them and go down to the boat periodically and top them off with whatever charger you have on the boat. Cheapest option (if the boat isn't too far from home) and added benefit you get to go hang out on the boat every few weeks.

3. Buy a new charger, ideally a smart, multi-stage charger with a maintenance or trickle mode and a circuit to prevent over charging.

4. Make sure the batteries are well secured in the boat, sail boat to FL. Once there recharge the batteries from the alternator while running the engine from the dock to the channel before hoisting sails. Repeat as necessary.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 09:20   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Don,

Several options for caring for your new batteries.

4. Make sure the batteries are well secured in the boat, sail boat to FL. Once there recharge the batteries from the alternator while running the engine from the dock to the channel before hoisting sails. Repeat as necessary.
That of course is the best answer and I knew I could get the correct answer here.

Tags
battery, storage