Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2017, 16:29   #16
cruiser

Re: Windlass Handset Connector

A hole saw cutting two openings, then installing two push buttons. Quick, cheap and easy... no leaks. Bulletproof. The switches seem to last for about ten years of usage, then replace.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 16:35   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A hole saw cutting two openings, then installing two push buttons. Quick, cheap and easy... no leaks. Bulletproof. The switches seem to last for about ten years of usage, then replace.
Have you ever put a hole in a balsa-cored deck? It's not that easy. You have to carve the core out and then fill it in with epoxy. It's a serious job, and if you screw it up, you ruin your deck. I've never put a hole in the deck of this boat so far, and don't plan to. The next boat will be metal and without these "challenges".
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 16:35   #18

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I used Dri-Plugs for all on deck electrical/electronic connections above decks on my previous boat. I don't know why I didn't consider those products for my windlass install. I guess I just assumed a company that produced a quality product for a reasonable price couldn't last in today's marine market, and was out of business. Glad I was wrong.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 16:37   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
I used Dri-Plugs for all on deck electrical/electronic connections above decks on my previous boat. I don't know why I didn't consider those products for my windlass install. I guess I just assumed a company that produced a quality product for a reasonable price couldn't last in today's marine market, and was out of business. Glad I was wrong.

John
I have one of those for my spotlight -- very nice plug. But I need three conductors for the windlass.

But as Noelex pointed out -- there isn't actually any real need for a connector -- I can just hardwire it. Just have to sort out the strain relief.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 28-10-2017, 17:01   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have one of those for my spotlight -- very nice plug. But I need three conductors for the windlass.

But as Noelex pointed out -- there isn't actually any real need for a connector -- I can just hardwire it. Just have to sort out the strain relief.
IIRC Dri pPlug does make 3 pin connectors. I used one for an Autohelm tiller pilot connector years ago when the mickey mouse Autohelm one died.

But I agree that no connector is needed in this application.

Jim
Old 28-10-2017, 18:56   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Have you ever put a hole in a balsa-cored deck? It's not that easy. You have to carve the core out and then fill it in with epoxy. It's a serious job, and if you screw it up, you ruin your deck. I've never put a hole in the deck of this boat so far, and don't plan to. The next boat will be metal and without these "challenges".
Yes I have several times... windlass switches, ten solar fittings. It's not difficult, no problems.
Old 28-10-2017, 21:54   #22

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Disagree, it's very easy, my last boat was completely balsa, did it many times, including windlass install.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 02:37   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You guys are better shipwrights than I am, or at least, more confident. I've seen a ton of boats with soft decks due to leakage into the core, due to owner-drilled holes in the deck and owner-installed fittings. No way I'm going to take any risk of that just to avoid buying a connector for a handset I already have.
Walt Whitman
Old 30-10-2017, 13:08   #24

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I used this wireless remote on my Muir windlass, it for use with a winch mounted on a Jeep or truck.

RAXFLY Universal 12V Wireless Winch Remote Control Kit for Car...
RAXFLY Universal 12V Wireless Winch Remote Control Kit for Car...
Sold by: FLOVEME
$12.99
In Stock
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 05:21   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I can just hardwire it. Just have to sort out the strain relief.
Kellems (or Bryant or Heyco,estc) Strain Relief Grips or Cord Connectors:
http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/press/catalog/V.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 05:38   #26
cruiser

Quote:
You guys are better shipwrights than I am, or at least, more confident. I've seen a ton of boats with soft decks due to leakage into the core, due to owner-drilled holes in the deck and owner-installed fittings. No way I'm going to take any risk of that just to avoid buying a connector for a handset I already have.
The older style Lewmar deck switches only require a hole small enough for the two wires.
Old 31-10-2017, 06:28   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The older style Lewmar deck switches only require a hole small enough for the two wires.
OK, thanks for that.

How do you use a deck switch if you are down in the anchor locker flaking the chain? Can you operate them with your hand?
Walt Whitman
Old 31-10-2017, 15:26   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Quote:
Bloody hell, that's expensive!

But . . . exactly what I was looking for. So thank you!
That's nothing! I just got a quote today for a milspec 90° backshell, $800. And that was only for the backshell, not the connector itself.

Don't get hung up on mill spec parts. Back in the day, military ruled the high reliability world. Now it's the commercial world that runs that. The feds are actively trying to move away from mil specs and go to commercial specs. Most connectors, switches, etc have commercial equivalents that are 1/10th the price. They're often even made on the same line (Honeywell does this). The only difference is the mil parts have 100% inspection to get on the qualified products list. We need to order from the QPL to meet our requirements.

Use digikey or mousers website, it's much easier. You can filter out to exactly what you want. Go for a poly connector, not metal. Hint, check the "in stock" box, otherwise you get false hope!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171031_182217.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	158642

I'm using this connector which is waterproof. Its 115v AC for my microwave which is installed in the center island over my engine. The connector is close to the raw water strainer so I wanted an IP67 or 68 connector.
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 15:40   #29

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Many years ago I hard-wired the windlass remote wire.
The switch, push-button, up only, I mounted in a PVC plumbing type end cap, a short piece of 2" tube and another end cap for the wire entry compression gland, the tube is short enough that the end-caps butt onto each other. One end cap glued, the other is friction fit.
It is bullet proof.
Old 31-10-2017, 16:18   #30

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Dockhead, my jeanneau hardwired remote died on me a couple of years ago and like you I searched for a replacement but since I'm retired and don't own the Bank of England I simply couldn't get myself to pay the kind of money they were asking for a replacement.

Instead I found this. MUch better since I can keep it in my pocket or operate it with one hand and use the other with a boathook to get my chain to lay properly in the well.

best of all - only costs 12.99

https://www.ebay.com/i/232271398987?chn=ps&dispItem=1

very simple to install and it takes about a year for the batteries to wear down (with us anchoring out most of the time.) You also get 2 remotes so if one carps out - you can just use the other one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass