Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 16:41   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Well, I got the following response from Ritchie Compasses
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I asked our engineering department and was told:
As long as the cable has a tight twist, there should be no problem, a loose twist, or a very course twist (1turn/foot) could cause some heading errors. If there is a minimal field leak it won’t be a problem because the cable is running up the mast. That will align that magnetic field with the vertical component of the earth’s magnetic field (which influences the tip of the compass card) instead of the horizontal component (which influences direction).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes sense to me about the alignment of the magnetic influence......besides, what does it matter if the tip of the card is a little off??? I'll be tipped over anyway
__________________

__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 16:48   #17
Registered User
 
Christian Van H's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Posts: 2,097
Images: 57
It's obvious that you MUST mount the wind gen down low, and the compass up the mast near the lower shrouds. THAT should take care of any interference! Twisting the wires should work. Use a cordless drill to twist em' quick and easy. If this fails, make yourself a compass correction card like this:

5 knots: 2 deg West
10 knots: 4 deg West
15 knots: 6 deg West
and so on...
__________________

__________________
www.anacapas.com

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 17:01   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
It's obvious that you MUST mount the wind gen down low, and the compass up the mast near the lower shrouds. THAT should take care of any interference! Twisting the wires should work. Use a cordless drill to twist em' quick and easy. If this fails, make yourself a compass correction card like this:

5 knots: 2 deg West
10 knots: 4 deg West
15 knots: 6 deg West
and so on...
I've done a few miles of homebrew twisted pair wire with the drill method........but I was wondering about your correction card?? Where's the colum for apparent wind
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 17:52   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I asked our engineering department and was told:
... there should be no problem...
There ya go. Is this the engineering department at the compass manufacturer? I assume not. The compass manufacturer's engineering department says to keep conductors, twisted or not, three feet away, or something like that. Pretty clear instruction, and a well known fact.

The compass is very sensitive. From what I assume the wires will be very close to the compass, inches. Twisting certainly attenuates the field, but how much? By 1/2000? Doubt it. That's the difference between 3 inches and 3 feet says some poster above. And that ''not aligned' bit. A vertical wire is exactly what you would use to most confuse a compass.

Consider the dark stormy (windy!) night on a heading you didn't test....etc...

I wouldn't even bother testing it. It's hopeless. But what do I know?
__________________
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 19:37   #20
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Of course after I typed this I had an Epiphany. Daddle is the same one who is giving away all his paper charts since he beleives they're dangerous...........I have taken my grain of salt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
There ya go. Is this the engineering department at the compass manufacturer? I assume not. The compass manufacturer's engineering department says to keep conductors, twisted or not, three feet away, or something like that. Pretty clear instruction, and a well known fact.
Try again......In the post I identified the source of the information as Ritchie compasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
The compass is very sensitive. From what I assume the wires will be very close to the compass, inches. Twisting certainly attenuates the field, but how much? By 1/2000? Doubt it. That's the difference between 3 inches and 3 feet says some poster above. And that ''not aligned' bit. A vertical wire is exactly what you would use to most confuse a compass.

Consider the dark stormy (windy!) night on a heading you didn't test....etc...

I wouldn't even bother testing it. It's hopeless. But what do I know?
Unless you yourself have tried it....I don't know what you know. I will try it, and compare to several known headings since I don't know and the manufacturer of the compass has told me I have a chance.
Hell, you want to get to the root of the thing, the mizzen sits on top of the engine that spins a 100amp alternator. Try and tell me that thing doesn't produce as strong of a mag field as the twisted wires from a small wind generator.
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 19:44   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Images: 4
Dang...I didn't see that was from Ritchie. Nice! That's surprising that they think it's okay. Give it a tested try. I still doubt it will work when the wind generator is really cranking, but maybe it will. Depends how close the wire is.

As for the alternator...distance is everything. Cube-law. Plus the entire alternator design is meant to contain the magnetic field and make juice out of it.
__________________
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 20:30   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Boat: Hobie 16, until I move (back) west.
Posts: 35
There is a material called "mu-metal". It is meant for shielding magnetic fields. You might get 5 to 10 dB of attenuation. Wrap it around the wire, not the compass -of course. And try to give it a couple extra feet above and below your compass.

In regards to what the compass engineer said, twisted pair is effective at canceling out the fields at far distances. But whats a "far distance"? Take the length of a twist, say its 1 inch... well if you are less than 1 inch from the twist, then the wires will hardly look twisted from your viewpoint, and the field will not be canceled out. However if your if your a foot or two, you'll have good cancellation.

My non-expert opinion would be to get a sheet of mu-metal and make sure your compass is the equivalent distance of at least 10 twists in your wire -I'd feel safer with 50 though.

The earths magnetic field is about 0.5 gauss. The wires on the wind-gen (assuming 12 Volts and about 200 Watts) will generate that same magnetic field at 4 inches (assuming not-twisted). But if you can get something like 10 twists/inch, at 4 inches away, you'll probably be fine.


Paul
__________________
stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 05:27   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the water, somewhere.
Boat: Allied Princess 36' Ketch
Posts: 59
If Ritchie says go for it, then go for it, but yeah, at least 2 turns/foot and I'd try for 3, depending on the gauge of wire you are running. If your compass is mounted like mine, you've got probably 4-6" of separation from inside the mast, so you might just be ok!

Good to go directly to the source like that, you occasionally get surprisingly good news from people who have done it before. Hopefully they aren't trying to sell you an accelerated compass re-magnetization package ;-)
__________________
svaletheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 06:53   #24
Registered User
 
Christian Van H's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Posts: 2,097
Images: 57
You might consider a small shield of unobtanium between the source and the compass. I hear it's REALLY expensive though...
__________________
www.anacapas.com

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 07:20   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
You might consider a small shield of unobtanium between the source and the compass. I hear it's REALLY expensive though...

I could just run the wires through the mast and fill the lower section with lead shot, that should take care the magnetism. Plus if I ever need to shield myself from a Gamma emmiter I'll be covered
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 07:22   #26
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by svaletheia View Post
If Ritchie says go for it, then go for it, but yeah, at least 2 turns/foot and I'd try for 3, depending on the gauge of wire you are running. If your compass is mounted like mine, you've got probably 4-6" of separation from inside the mast, so you might just be ok!

Good to go directly to the source like that, you occasionally get surprisingly good news from people who have done it before. Hopefully they aren't trying to sell you an accelerated compass re-magnetization package ;-)
Yep, same compass diving board. I may try it with the old el-cheapo compass first before I put the really good one on there.
__________________

__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
compass, interference

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mounting A Radar On A Windgen Pole?? Hubec Marine Electronics 3 04-03-2008 20:01
Magnetic Refrigeration no electricity needed SeaKing Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 37 11-11-2007 11:07
Magnetic Induction Cooktops Lodesman Provisioning: Food & Drink 15 11-03-2007 20:26
Compass Deviatrion-Compass Card Paul Bradbury General Sailing Forum 6 05-02-2006 15:34



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.