Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2004, 19:29   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
windbugger problem

This may be a dumb question but what can I say. I understand that I need a new dieode for my windbugger. What does it look like and can I buy one in my area? I touched the wires to the battery and the windbugger started like a fan so I know the generator is working. Thank you for any help.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 04:31   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Diodes allow electrons to flow in only one direction. They are made by bonding specially mixed dielectrics together.

A dielectric is a manmade material that is a poor conductor, typically made by mixing an insulating material with a special conductor to get special properties. The diode has the dielectric on one side mixed with material that tends to miss electrons (wants more electrons in the outer shell of some of the molecules), while the other side is mixed with material that would prefer to lose some of its outer shell electrons.

When thes two materials get together, the boundary layer of electrons tends to allow electrons in a current to flow in one direction but not in the other.

Wow, I got to use that ham radio education after all!!!

In your case, it is possible the diode is being used to ensure that the power that goes towards the batteries cannot come back to dissipate the energy or hurt the circuits in the unit. However, I also suspect that there are a lot of places in a wind generator's control circuitry that could use diodes to make it work properly, so I should stick to the little I know.

Light-emitting diodes or LEDs are the same, but with special dielectrics that result in the creation of bright light of a particular wavelength. There, I am empty.

Thanks for the opportunity - hope I am still getting a passing grade.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 06:42   #3

Any properly rated general purpose rectifier diode should work. The higher the voltage and the current rating the better, however, it should never see greater than the max voltage and current output of the generator. I am not familiar with their use on a wind generator. But, a diode is a device that allows current to flow through in only one direction. I assume that it serves two purposes here. The first is to not allow current to flow in the wrong direction if the generator is rotated backwards, and the second would be to not allow the generator to become a fan when there is no wind and a voltage is present on the output wires (maybe this could work as emergency propulsion ). To do this it would be in series with the generator and in such a way to allow normal current to flow when charging.

You may be able to buy one at Radio Shack, or...

http://www.electronicsic.com/diode.htm

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 00:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
As others have said, the Diode allows a current flow in one direction only. That is important when connected to a DC system. I have never seen inside a wind generator, but more than likely, the generator is producing Alternating current. A DC generator is usually large and requires brushes. This would have greater friction, thus not turn as easily in light air and are bulky and often heavy. An AC generator can be made very small, especially with the use of strong neodynium magnet material avalaible today. But this Alternating current must be rectified to DC, or your batteries will be fed AC. The Diode will also isolate the Battery supply from the Alternator, thus stopping it from spinning as a motor. The diode is most likely a bridge rectifier of some type. It is also possible that the diode has a voltage regulator, unless this is done via a seperate charge control device. A bridge rectifier can easily be obtained from your "radio shack" (I think you call them)type store. Make sure it is able to handle a current in excess of what the geny can produce. As most rectifiers are of reasonable high volatage, I don't think you need to consider that part.
The biggest trick is finding a rectifier that will fit into where it has to go. But do remember, it can go outside the geny. You can feed the AC supply all the way to the destination, and then connect a diode and charge controller at that point.
Hope that helps,
Wheels (I have an electronics back ground if you want to ask anymore questions)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 01:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Wiondbugger Parts

Try http://www.windbugger.com/Parts_List.htm
From their PARTS LIST
PRICES EFFECTIVE January 1, 2004
Brushes Set of 4 @ $40.00 (5/8" Shaft) - $50.00 (3/4" Shaft)
Slip Rings @ $35.00
40-Amp Diode @ $12.50
HTH
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 06:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I called windbugger and asked about a dieode. They tell me that I have the wires reversed and that should take care of my problem. I hope he is right. I will say that he was very helpful.
Old 24-06-2004, 17:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it is not as loud as I thought it would be.
Old 26-06-2004, 14:16   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
After so many things gone bad It's nice to see you get a push. I just love it when the magic works!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 19:26   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It is still working!
Old 29-06-2004, 13:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
So tell me more about these wind generators. What sort of wind speed do you need as a minimum.
I have heard they are noisy, but you suggest otherwise, so how have you found it now after a few day's?
What sort of output are they capable of.
Thanks,
Wheels

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 14:54   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mine is very quiet. I am surprised how quiet. As for the output, they tell me that it takes 10 knots of wind before the windbugger makes any real power.
Old 26-07-2004, 12:56   #12

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
You blow boaters and your fancy gagets. What is a bugger anyway? Get yourself a big old noisy stinky diesel generator then crank up the A/C and have a cocktail.

Gunner.
How about I bring that thing up (You can meet me in St. Jo with pickup or trailer) then you can get it giong and decide if you want it. I still have no idea what it's worth.
Greg
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 13:49   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greg, A Windbugger is that windmill on the stern of my boat. That is now working like a charm. As for your genset I would like see it but I would like a price from you first. Email me with price and we can go from there.