Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2004, 15:14   #16

We have the four winds mm2 which is installed on top of our mizzen and a fourwinds baron hydro unit. At ten knots the mm2 produces about 7 amps per hour and at 15 knots we get about 10 amps per hr. While crusing with the baron 11 hydro at 5 knots we get about 3 amps per hr. We use about 175 amps per day which is about 7 or 8 amps per hour. Both have been a good producer of amps and with the mm2 being top mizzen mounted the prop noise is low.
The fourwinds people have been helpful with info on installing the units. So for we have had no problems in 2 yrs of service.
Tauuas
tauras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 11:13   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
FWIW, we installed a KISS this past December and used it four months in the Caribbean windward islands. Trades blow through here at 15-20 kt most of the winter, and we had several days with sustained winds in the 25 kt range with hugher gusts. The unit supplied 90% of our needs, but I must admit that I can't quote exactly what that is - electrical system on board is not that sophisticated. We typically run the 12v fridge (huge), lights, VHF, water pump and sometimes the stereo system - and we usually hae two guests on board (we run a crewed charter operation so our electrical use is much higher than a typical more aware cruising couple).
The KISS does go into a freewheeling mode in high winds, at which time it gets quite noisy, but when it is working in more normal winds the sound output is minimal - especially for a high output unit.
As mentioned above, we got quite proficient at grabbing the string attached to the unit to turn it out of the wind so we could tie down the blades in a real blow. In lesser winds there is a switch you can throw which usually will stop the blades completely.
Only problem we had with the unit had to do with a very tall guest who was gesturing on the aft deck while standing under the unit. He reached up over his head and there was a sickening splatting noise. Thankfully his cuts were not too bad and he retained all his fingers.
Based on talks with other cruisers and our own experience I'd buy one again.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 18:52   #18

wind gens and other equipment

Here's an article /survey from participants in the '03 ARC about what worked and what didn't - including wind generators:

http://www.ybw-directory.com/arc2003/arc1.jsp
Old 31-05-2006, 00:37   #19

I have an Ampair Pacific 100 mounted on my mizzen mast. The unit puts out about 4.5 amps in 20 knots. Not a lot but over the course of a day it adds up. The best part is that it is whisper quiet. I never hear it above wind noise.

BTW, it suppliments my solar. Fair days = sun, stormy days = wind.

Dave
Straban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:24   #20

Got a 'Bugger

I have a Windbugger on my Endeavour 37, and have had it for many years and 4 trips thru the Bahamas. It has functioned well, and is very quiet (needed 1 rebuild in 10 years)...in fact I am thinking about looking for a second one to add to the other side of the arch. The Air-X units West Marine and others peddle can't hold a candle to it. They are noisy (in spite of the claims made about them being quiet) and do not put out half what the 'Bugger does in light air, which is the situation in most anchorages. If your old Windbugger needs service, I suggest you take it to any good starter/alternator shop...they can usually do a good job.
capnike is offline   Reply With Quote