Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 07:23   #1
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Wind/Solar conundrum

Okay I'm appealing to the knowledgeable folks here at CF again. This time, the ones with knowledge of solar power.
I know there has been extensive coverage of the solar topic on here but I seem to have a unique situation here.
I was looking at the Rutland 914i wind generator and the 160W controller which accepts power from wind and up to 160W of solar. I decided to by the wind genny and pass on the controller because I wanted to be able to connect more than 160W of solar.
Shortly after making that decision, a friend of mine gave me 550W of solar panels, 11 of them BUT now I'm having difficulty finding a controller that will work with wind and solar AND that will work with these panels.
The trouble is that I'm not sure what voltage they are.

Here are the specs.
Pmax = 50W
Voc = 32.56
Vmp = 27.60
Imp = 1.81
Isc = 1.99
Production Tolerance +/- 3%
VDC = 1000

It looks to me like they are 24V but someone told me they're 18V.

I would really appreciate some meaningful feedback on this. I have tried seeking the advice of professionals in the industry and surprisingly, I have gotten conflicting answers from all of them and even one guy who flatly refused to comment on panels that he didn't sell me, even though he have sold me a controller to match them. Some people!

Edit: I should clarify that I don't intend to use all of the panels but would like to find a good balance between space/weight vs output.
Old 24-02-2015, 07:55   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Wind/Solar conundrum

With those panels you need a separate MPPT solar controller.

There is no problem using separate controllers for wind and solar. Most (all?) combined wind and solar controllers are not MPPT at least on the solar side. The voltage of the panels is too high to use a controller that does not have the voltage conversion inherent in the MPPT process.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:45   #3
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Re: Wind/Solar conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
With those panels you need a separate MPPT solar controller.

There is no problem using separate controllers for wind and solar. Most (all?) combined wind and solar controllers are not MPPT at least on the solar side. The voltage of the panels is too high to use a controller that does not have the voltage conversion inherent in the MPPT process.
Hi Noelex, sorry for the delayed response and thank-you for your reply.

The controller I have been looking at is the Blue Sky 3024iL. It will accept wind/solar, will convert the voltage (if these panels are 24V), has a load controller on the wind side and is mppt (both sides). However, there is one minor set back in that they recommend at least 3 amps/100ah battery bank and my panels (using all of them) fall short of that. I don't want to use them all as it would take up way too much space and be too heavy.

So have you any recommendations for controller(s) that would work? The wind genny does have built in mppt.
I would like to use six of these panels or buy different 12V panels at ~300 - 400W combined.

Tks,

Ron

Tags
rum, solar, wind