Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2015, 08:00   #1

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440
Wind Generators - which is best

After recently crossing the Atlantic from the Canary islands to Martinique in our Lagoon 44o, we discovered that unless we ran the generator for an hour in the morning and an hour at night, (2 X 12V fridges, a deep freeze, and the auto-pilot working 24/7), our large solar panel array couldn't quite keep up. Now looking at adding a wind generator. I'm half deaf so the noise isn't a problem for me but my family all have terrific hearing so a low-noise generator would be preferred. Any suggestions or experiences of particular brands that are reliable and efficient and have a good charge rate?
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 08:16   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Wind Generators - which is best

I have a Spreco SilentWind. It is pretty quiet, and power output seems pretty much on spec. It's not silent, but I can carry on a normal conversation in the cockpit with it just aft of us. Compared to my previous wind gen, an Air-X, it is very quiet. There are others out there as well. Definitely shop around.
Old 21-02-2015, 09:01   #3

I have four 120 watt solar panels with one KISS generator hooked to a smart charger/inverter to four 8d agm batteries and two series 27 starter batteries. We have all the normal electrical stuff on board as well as electronics and we seem to have ample amounts of electricity. The KISS generator is a bit noisy but does produce very well in low winds but really puts out in high winds. The one thing I like about the KISS generator is that if it breaks I can find parts to fix it at almost any car parts store in the world. The one thing I don't like about the KISS is that in high winds, it produces more power than can be absorbed by the batteries.
Kingwoodie
s/v The Lady Margaret Ann
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 09:15   #4
cruiser

I have an Aerogen, it's probably 15 years old, and it is simple, silent, and puts out 15V in 18kt wind
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 09:39   #5

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post
I have four 120 watt solar panels with one KISS generator hooked to a smart charger/inverter to four 8d agm batteries and two series 27 starter batteries. We have all the normal electrical stuff on board as well as electronics and we seem to have ample amounts of electricity. The KISS generator is a bit noisy but does produce very well in low winds but really puts out in high winds. The one thing I like about the KISS generator is that if it breaks I can find parts to fix it at almost any car parts store in the world. The one thing I don't like about the KISS is that in high winds, it produces more power than can be absorbed by the batteries.
Kingwoodie
s/v The Lady Margaret Ann
I thought KISS is one of the quiet ones, other are even worse. I was about to shoot the dame thing on the boat next to us.... LOL.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator