Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 06:29   #1

Wind generators

Why price differences for apparently similar systems?
I've been looking at wind generators for my 12 volt system on our boat. I don't understand why there are such a wide range of prices for systems that appear similar. What sort of specs should I be looking at? 3blades or 5. How many watts? Is there a maximum wattage for 12 v generators?
Thanks in advance
Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 07:24   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Wind generators

Sounds like you're at the start of your research on this Pitts. Hard to respond to such a broad question. Some of us use wind gens, and some of us even like them [emoji6]. Specs will depend on your needs. In general 3 blades generate bigger amps but only at high speeds. Five blades generate at lower wind speeds, but may not produce as much at high speeds. So it depends on your wind in your area as to which is better.

In all cases, make sure you look at noise levels. Most new gens are relatively quiet, but there are still some that aren't. No reason to annoy your neighbours with a noisy gen these days.
Old 16-08-2017, 08:12   #3

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I too am interested in wind power and want to make a purchase....I spent the winter in the bahamas....and there is always a breeze....i may have been one of the few boats that did not have wind power as most have a tubine and some two.....
noise seems to be the question....and I never found one to be disturbing...because if theres a breeze you have wind noise and the waves are slapping the hull.....
but one comment i found from these owners that seamed to bother them was ...mounting......alot of them say that the vibration is heard inside the boat while you try and sleep.....some solve this by sleeping forward and some try to use isolation between the mounting bracket and the hull....

I think the previous comment is correct....they are all quite now.....
I think I will get a less expensive one first to try it out and see what it can do for me over night while there is no sun for solar and my fridge runs all night......
less expensive meaning the ...air X
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 08:32   #4

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Does anyone have any experience with the vertical axis turbines rather than the traditional horizontal type? Just curious as an alternative to mounting something on a pole out the stern you could mount it on the big pole in the middle
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 15:42   #5

My first wind gen was an old air-x. It produced good power, but screamed like a banshee once it got moving. Not sure if the current generation of "Air" gens are better, but I've heard that they remain loud. There are reviews and data online comparing various gens. I'd look to those for guidance.

The vibration issue is a factor. I have to add snubber/dampeners to mine to keep it to near-zero.
Old 16-08-2017, 15:55   #6

Boat: J/42

There must be something in the air today. I have the opportunity to pick up an old AmpAir 100 for a pittance, but I am trying to convince myself that I want it.

(+) Low investment. Supposed to be durable and quiet. Might be a good contribution for those dark winter days. Parts still readily available.

(-) Probably won't actually produce very much power in most anchorages. 28 lbs overhead on the end of a pole! More impedimenta on board.

(?) RF interference? Mounting interference with solar panels?

I was thinking that I could disassemble it and store it below most of the time, except when needed. The best idea I've come up with for occasionally mounting it is to put a bracket on the end of a swinging davit. (More COTB, but potentially useful for other things.) Swing the davit in to the cockpit to mount the hardware, guy it outboard to run the generator.
But if it's that much hassle, would I ever use it?
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 16:05   #7

This link is a few years old, but looks like a useful reference:
http://www.naviclub.com/Test_compara...nes_marine.pdf
Old 16-08-2017, 16:14   #8

Boat: CMPF Trisbal 36 / Beneteau Ocenais 510

for Mike OReilly :

How did you dampen the vibrations from your wind generator?
Old 16-08-2017, 16:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazySailing View Post
for Mike OReilly :

How did you dampen the vibrations from your wind generator?

I've used lines wrapped around the pole. I have an undersized bolt in the base which I think is part of the problem. With the snubber lines I only hear the vibration at very high wind speeds.
Old 16-08-2017, 16:52   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
Why price differences for apparently similar systems?
I've been looking at wind generators for my 12 volt system on our boat. I don't understand why there are such a wide range of prices for systems that appear similar. What sort of specs should I be looking at? 3blades or 5. How many watts? Is there a maximum wattage for 12 v generators?
Thanks in advance

They may appear "similar" but I assure you that there are lots of differences. From the blades to the inner workings. Some have generators, some have alternators, some you have to shut down to stop overcharging, some have a bank of resistors. Prices range from about $700 to $3000. Generally speaking the higher priced ones are quieter and have better output.
Old 17-08-2017, 05:32   #11

Here are some specs on a $5k system at
http://www.marinewarehouse.net/image...b%20(2010).pdf
A pair 300 page 12

Blades (3) 12 Housing
300 Watts at 12.6 m/s (25 knots) windspeed 12 or 24 or 48 V DC
3 phase AC - external rectifier in regulator
3 m/s (6 knots)
Blade pitch control 1200mm
10.5 kg
GRP
Die cast aluminium (powder coated)

Here's a$250 system at
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Bl...d-6cd9221ff4bf

Start-up wind speed:2m/sRated power:400WMax. power:410WWind controller voltage:12v/24v auto

Vasco has suggested some areas of difference but what key questions should I be asking?
Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:31   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

As usual we bought something not to expensive. The Sunforce 600 is about $600 and has been working for about 5 years with no issues. It's turned off half that time so can't say any more about how long it might last.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:51   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

We have a Superwind 350. Built like a tank and whisper quiet. Highly recommend.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 07:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
Here are some specs on a $5k system at
http://www.marinewarehouse.net/image...b%20(2010).pdf
A pair 300 page 12

Blades (3) 12 Housing
300 Watts at 12.6 m/s (25 knots) windspeed 12 or 24 or 48 V DC
3 phase AC - external rectifier in regulator
3 m/s (6 knots)
Blade pitch control 1200mm
10.5 kg
GRP
Die cast aluminium (powder coated)

Here's a$250 system at
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Bl...d-6cd9221ff4bf

Start-up wind speed:2m/sRated power:400WMax. power:410WWind controller voltage:12v/24v auto

Vasco has suggested some areas of difference but what key questions should I be asking?
Ah, British made unit vs cheap Chinese knock-off. It's like buying tools at Harbor Freight. Sometimes you get a good tool, sometimes it disintegrates at the first use.
Also those prices at AliBaba are usually wholesale prices FOB China. What you pay if you are importing a container-load of them. Sometimes the "product" is only an engineering design - they think they can build them, but until somebody pays for a truckload of them, they've never tried.
Buy a few and let us know how it goes.
Old 17-08-2017, 07:19   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I've had three over the last thirty years. First was the granddaddy of windgens built by Bugger Bob, the Windbugger, the a KISS, now a D400. The D400 costs twice the KISS (I wanted another KISS but John at Hotwire couldn't deliver on time so I got the D400.)

I am not a fan of English electrical things but must admit the D400 is very well built and quiet. The size of the alternator is amazing. And the output is very good. But it is very expensive. I think the KISS is the best bang for your buck.

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator