Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2019, 13:44   #31

Boat: Catalina 42 2001
Re: Wind generator vs solar panels.

For a boat that size..go the solar option with a quality regulator. I agree with sailor boy...the "hummmm... from the wind gen drives me crazy.

David Sandowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 14:41   #32

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Francois, that refridge u r using has to go bye bye. Since u just stay in the boat a couple of days at a time switch over to a premium cold box like a Yetti or one of its competitors. Bring some of your food frozen and cold ( sandwhich makings) and a bag of ice. You are good to go for three to four days.

Invest in an Engle somewhere later when u are on boat for weeks at a time. There are even solar LED that will keep the boat visible part of the night. Can use a low wattage LED that pulls very small ampage and dangle it off the boom. In Mexico’s Sea of Cortez that’s how I do it. Lots of locals out fishing late at night to feed their families and sell to early markets.

I have 200 amp batteries, 100 watt solar, mppt controller, basic electronics, cheap auto pilot and I survive.

Another option you have available to you is to add a little more battery bank. Cheap. You can use flexible panels that are light and easy to store away. Just leave one 50 watt to keep batteries alive. Takes 5-10 minutes to replug the moveable panels.

Forget the wind gen. It ain’t worth the hassle, cost, and not right use of money for your current boat utilization.

alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 15:36   #33
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you can hear it its a crap wind generator and theres a lot off them out there..
Knowing that doesnt help my hearing. I considered going over a giving them a couple gallos of gas for their Honda as I liked that sound better because it didnt change all the time.
Old 27-03-2019, 07:42   #34

If the Peltier effect is not useful for cooling goods, is it of any use to generate electricity?
https://www.tegmart.com/info/guide-t...-and-products/
francois.lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 16:35   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois.lavoie View Post
If the Peltier effect is not useful for cooling goods, is it of any use to generate electricity?
https://www.tegmart.com/info/guide-t...-and-products/

It is if you have a heat source such as a wood stove burning in a cold climate. It requires a very large heat differential to generate a useful amount of power.

Here's the data from their 10W device:
When the hot side of the generator exceeds 715 F (380 C), the net power output will exceed 10 watts. The generator is designed to operate with a heat source from 570 F to 842 F (300 C to 450 C).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 09:19   #36

@dimaxion:
alpicool 20 li seems very interesting it drives at 45 watts. Isn't a little short in terms of volume?

@StuM:
Thanks for the info on the Peltier electricity generator. I has found such an heating driven device. I wondered if there was any other type of device not based on hi temperature.

Is the Engle that efficient? How much time will last a standard block of ice at 25 o C?

@allansmith:
You summarize the way to go for me according to my needs of energy.

Concerning the cheap autopilot, do you have a suggestion? I will need one having to sail on my own. The wife does not seem to appreciate the activity as much as I do.

I understand that autopilot could have an important weight in terms of energy consumption.

@many:
A good and low noise wind generator: any good quality to price ratio suggestion?

Thanks all.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:10   #37

Cannot rely on wind especially inland. I'd say go for the two solar panels.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:41   #38

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

I think a Tiller Master is a great way to go, Amazon $377.

I use a little LED camp light for an anchor light, works very well, AAA bats last 4-6 nights, the automatic one would be better.

Do not use Flex Solar, low output, 2-3 yr life! I use 2 250 W glass panels to charge 220 Ah Marine batts with average load, thinking of installing refrigeration in ice box.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:22   #39

Boat: Island Packet IP440 - Moondance

I would definitely get an LED bulb for your anchor light, if available.
rhpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:43   #40

Boat: MacGregor 26X

I'm no expert on anything but I hope I never have a neighbor with a wind generator. A couple docks over there are 2 boats with them and I can hear the noise they make. I cannot imagine having one on my boat. Such a horrible, constant noise.
adventuren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuren1 View Post
I'm no expert on anything but I hope I never have a neighbor with a wind generator. A couple docks over there are 2 boats with them and I can hear the noise they make. I cannot imagine having one on my boat. Such a horrible, constant noise.

My experience was with a boat right next to me. The most burdensome issue was the specific LACK OF CONSTANT NOISE: it kept changing. LIke water torture, drip, drip, drip...

Agreed: horrible.

I also understand that there are newer models that don't do that.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 14:16   #42

Boat: Morgan, Out Island, 36, Sunchaser

I lived aboard with both solar panels and a wind generator. The wind generator was nice in the Caribean where you have steady tradewinds, anywhere else its a waste of time. Dump that fridge, you can get a compressor cooled fridge that starts up drawing 5 amps and settles at 2.5A, I keep it going just fine with 200W solar panels and 200A/H AGM battery. MY best purchase I made 14 years ago and ITS STILL GOING STRONG, was a 1000W Honda genny I bought used on the yachties net in St Martin. Whenever the sun ain't shining and the battery gets low I just run the genny through my Heart Freedom charger/inverter and it pumps out 35Amps.
Joe Okros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:19   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
I use a little LED camp light for an anchor light, works very well, AAA bats last 4-6 nights, the automatic one would be better.

Does it meet COLREGs "2 mile light" criteria? i.e. a minimum luminous intensity of 4.3 candela?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:27   #44

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Does it meet COLREGs "2 mile light" criteria? i.e. a minimum luminous intensity of 4.3 candela?
Usually most of those little LED Camp lights are much stronger than your average masthead light.

I have an LED Lantern Anchor Light but usually leave it on the lowest setting.

Also, many of us know where to anchor where you can't even see another boat much less need to worry about how bright the anchor light is...….
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:36   #45

An autopilot would be quite useful for my catalina 250 (a 25 feet). Given that I do not want to get with dead battery, do you have any suggestion in terms of make, but also in terms on being easy on batter charge?

Thanks.

Tags
generator, panels, solar, solar panels, wind, wind generator