Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 22:08   #1

Boat: MARTZCRAFT 35 'JET LAG'
Wind Generator Tower Mounting

Need a little help mounting a wind gen, I have a D400 and am in the process of designing the tower which will become a part of the solar and davit thingo on the stern. The manufacturers suggest in some applications anti vibration mounts to insulate the tower may be beneficial. I can't find anything anywhere that is designed for the task. Does anyone have any info on insulating the tower to cut out any possible vibration from the genny.
Thanks all
Drinky
drinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 22:18   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
most of us use rubber bushings to isolate the generator from the supporting mast and struts. You don't need to worry about the genny messing with the wind gen. Rather, worry about the wind gen sending vibes down to wherever you sleep.
Old 19-05-2010, 22:20   #3
CF Adviser

clarification

I just realized that we may have miscommunicated in terms of nautical slang. For most sailors, "genny" refers to a large foresail, not a wind generator.
Old 20-05-2010, 01:54   #4

You are right Bash. I call my genoa sail a genny but I call my wind generator a wind genny. Lazy language. Second part of your response is what I am on about. I don't want any vibration from the wind generator tower playing music to me above my bed. What I need to know is what I can use to cut out any chance of that.
Drinky
Old 20-05-2010, 07:49   #5

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
whatever mounting system you incorporate to isolate the vibration and harmonics transmitted thru the hull, use stainless and urethane. I saw one mounting assembly that used 1" stainless with urethane torsion bar mounts and the noisest thing was the constant whooop of the blades at full rpm. Hardly a sound from the mast down to the boat.
Old 20-05-2010, 07:58   #6
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinky View Post
I don't want any vibration from the wind generator tower playing music to me above my bed. What I need to know is what I can use to cut out any chance of that.
Well, if you sleep in an aft cabin, then you definitely want an anti-vibration mount, not only on the mast but on the struts as well.
Old 20-05-2010, 08:02   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I think I have too much time on my hands. This is a anti vibration mount that goes on an existing pole.

Vibration Isolator
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 12:08   #8

Thanks Sailmonkey, that is the unit the bloke across the dock is waiting for delivery of, I think. Now I know where to get it from.
Drinky
Old 24-07-2010, 08:45   #9

Boat: Alberg 35
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhythmsmith
I just had an email with Larry from SE Marine (US distributors for the D400) and he said quote "We suggest isolating the mounting brackets from the deck with a layer of neoprene. You should buy it locally, cheaper".
Whatever you try, let us know how it works out!
Rhythmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 09:12   #10

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
"We suggest isolating the mounting brackets from the deck with a layer of neoprene. You should buy it locally, cheaper".
Or rubber(ish) gasket material from the auto parts store - 1/8" or greater. Good for isolating a mast that terminates in a flange.
For lateral support I use dacron line instead of ss tubing. No vibration through that...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 23:09   #11

After all your help and a little mucking around the wind gen is mounted. The tower and braces are insulated with neoprene and with 25 knt wind there is no noise. Mind you the gen is extra quiet and some people at the marina are thinking of changing their current gen for a D400 because they can't hear a sound from it.
Drinky
Old 28-07-2010, 08:25   #12

Boat: Alberg 35
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhythmsmith
That's great news, drinky. I am finally sold on the D400 after much debate, and now I must also go through the mounting saga...
The D400 wants a 42mm I.D. tube, did you use one of these tubes or did you have a standard 1.5" Tube opened up to 42mm ID? What tower parts did you need to have custom fabricated or modified, if any?
Rhythmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:58   #13

I found that tube the right size wasn't polished and polishing would add to the cost, but, we found tube a little larger ( I think it was 46 ID ) which was polished and then made a sleeve from some plastic to make the D400 fit. Can't remember what the plastic was. Then fabricated bits and pieces to fit the tower into my davit and solar creation at the stern.
Old 28-07-2010, 14:50   #14

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
When i mounted my wind generator i used 10mm thick rubber fittings from the plumbing section of our local hardware store for the base of the vertical pole and that works! i also used a smaller version on the 2 side stays and it certainly made it better cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 14:57   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
McMaster.com. They have it all!

Tags
generator, wind generator