Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2009, 05:42   #76

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
And the other thing that ticks me off about all these companies, are output curves.
For one, most are misleading, and pretty much unreadable.
For #2 They don't compare apples and apples.
Some given amps, some give watts, some given kwh in a month... jesus.
It should be a standized system. They do it to blow smoke.
I will stick to A Kiss unit it I choose to go to one. Don't see why anyone would choose any other unit with the possible exception of the 4 breezes.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:40   #77

Boat: Hunter 41 - "Son of a Sailor"
Comments of AirBreeze

After nine months service (Keys and Bahamas), we like the Breeze, younger and smaller brother to the Air-X. They don't put out a whole lot, but put it out all the time! (well, almost.) Combined with 260 watts of Kyocera, we think we have it about right for us.

I recently ordered new aluminum blades from TLG Windpower, for $140 with a stainless steel hub. They are quite heavy compared to the original, white blades, but so far are dead quiet.

Re the original blades, when I reached up to remove them, they almost came apart in my hands! They were friable, and in the process of disintegrating. A call to Southwest Windpower resulted in a new set of replacement blades. The black ones. Seems the white ones did not stand up to the UV.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:37   #78

Boat: 1953 McGruer 33' and 1949 Vertue V26
So you haven't fitted the replacement black blades then?
Jim
Jim Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:16   #79

Boat: Jim Brown Searunner 37`
Re: Wind Generator Recommendations?

Its been a coupe of years since this thread was active and I would assume a lot has changed? I've read all the posts here with interest - the blades from this company

Silentwindgenerator

got good reviews - has anyone tried their generator?

thanks

J
sassarassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:02   #80

Boat: Brewer 44

I am thinking of adding an Air Breeze to my boat. Whatcha think?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 13:54   #81

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Roads
I am thinking of adding an Air Breeze to my boat. Whatcha think?
I just had a brand new sea breeze 200 installed on my boat. Very quiet and works fine. Shuts down automatically when the batteries do not need any juice.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 14:35   #82

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Re: Wind Generator Recommendations ?

I recommend the KISS brand, if the small "totally silent" models do not produce enough power for your needs. The KISS produces plenty of power, and it's noise is a soft fan like whirr that can only be heard about 50'.

I Measured when anchored close by... The Air X can be heard for 1/4 of a mile, and the new Air Breeze about 300', and both produce an annoying weed whacker like noise, that is higher pitched and fluctuates wildly by comparison. The aftermarket aluminum blades mentioned above, may well solve this problem???

The KISS is a much less antisocial choice.

"Conducted noise" of any brand, is the noise down below from pole and strut vibration. It is totally dependent on the location of the mounting, the cabin layout, and extent of rubber isolation.

"IF" you have room... we have found solar to be a more reliable source of power, and it last much longer.
M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 14:52   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvava View Post
I love my Air Marine-X; however, I'm thinking of going over to the Southwest Air Marine-"Breeze", smaller unit but on average more output with lighter winds and most dependable manufacturer with history-the Southwest.
I'm very happy with my Marine Air X. I have their pole mount and don't notice any vibration on board. I agree Southwest is a dependable manufacturer. After almost three years of 24/7 operation I noticed the some of the paint was chipping off of my 48 volt Marine Air-X. Called Southwest Windpower up about it. The unit has a three year warrenty. The unit was still working fine. They said send it in and sent me a new generator back. Good to see some manufacturers still believe in customer service. Southwest Windpower seems to be one of them.
Old 14-05-2011, 14:59   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson

I Measured when anchored close by... The Air X can be heard for 1/4 of a mile, and the new Air Breeze about 300', and both produce an annoying weed whacker like noise, that is higher pitched and fluctuates wildly by comparison. The aftermarket aluminum blades mentioned above, may well solve this problem???

The KISS is a much less antisocial choice.

M.
It's really nothing like a weed whacker. I hope people don't think it is anywhere near that loud.
Old 14-05-2011, 15:39   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wind Generator Recommendations ?

And the Aerogen can barely be heard in the cockpit... I would not buy anything else...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 15:47   #86

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
It's really nothing like a weed whacker. I hope people don't think it is anywhere near that loud.
Only the "X", I measured it with GPS. It can be heard for 1/4 mile... 300' on the "Breeze". The nature of both is very much like a weed whacker.

AeroGens are TOTALLY silent, as Boatman said.

M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 16:09   #87
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
unfortunately, the same hyperbole keeps being posted over and over and over and over and over by the same person. he always begins his claim with a simile ("like a weed whacker") and then follows it up with a claim to have done empirical measurement.

a strange approach to empiricism.
Old 14-05-2011, 18:33   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

unfortunately, the same hyperbole keeps being posted over and over and over and over and over by the same person. he always begins his claim with a simile ("like a weed whacker") and then follows it up with a claim to have done empirical measurement.

a strange approach to empiricism.
Thanks Bash. When I read these posts, prior taking possession of my boat with installed said wind generator, I was really getting worried.

I was so so happy to hear it when it kicked on today and it was very quiet.

Take care.
Old 19-05-2011, 08:26   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassarassa View Post
Its been a coupe of years since this thread was active and I would assume a lot has changed? I've read all the posts here with interest - the blades from this company

Silentwindgenerator

got good reviews - has anyone tried their generator?

thanks

J
Did a lot of research and have a Silentwind on the way to me. I have a Rutland 913, but I need something that will put out more than that, which is great in low winds, but not as good a Silentwind above that.
davimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:23   #90

Boat: Niagara 31

Things not mentioned very much in the postings are the weight, physical dimensions and especially the blade turning diameter.

I have a Rutland 913 on a 31' boat. It looks OK. Anything bigger would look "silly". It weighs 10.5kg, and has a turning diameter of 91cm. Length from front to back is 60.7 cm. Fairly compact/

Not a lot of output, but quiet, and more fun than a solar panel ! (which would have been difficult to fit on my boat.). Safer than my battery charger (up to 20 amps) for keeping the batteries charged up while I'm away from the marina, and no complaints from neighbouring dockers.

I fitted the 913 on top of a pole that also holds my small home made crane for lifting up the OB from the dinghy. All very compact.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator