Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2007, 11:10   #1

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
Wind Generator on Mizzen Mast

Any thoughts (pro and con) about mounting a wind generator on the Mizzen Mast (Alberg 37 Yawl), and thoughts on the AIR-X generator. Have heard some good reports on the AIR-X generator, and saw quite a few AIR-Xs on our trip to the Bahamas last fall (2006).

Comments on 'Real Life' noise (including vibration/noise telegraphed to hull through mizzen) , power output, and mizzen mast mounts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom in Kinsale, VA
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 11:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I just bought a AirX a couple of months ago. It is quieter that the Wind Bugger that I had. I have read that installing on the mizzen can amplify the noise it the boat. Mine is on a pole on the stern.
Old 16-12-2007, 11:42   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Our Four Winds has been hanging on the mizzen for 8 years. At very high winds, 40+, we get a vibration in the mast. Other than that I can't imagine having it hang anywhere else.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 12:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Our Four Winds has been hanging on the mizzen for 8 years. At very high winds, 40+, we get a vibration in the mast. Other than that I can't imagine having it hang anywhere else.
Chuck,

Thanks for the info - do you happen to have a link to photo of your mizzen mounting?

Thanks, Tom
Old 16-12-2007, 15:24   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
Just watch out that you have enough clearance between your mainsail and you mizzen. I had my Fourwinds "professionally" installed by someone I met at one of the stands at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show who had a good reputation, and this was the result three weeks later. Fourwinds were very helpful in repairing the blades, but the installers made me (Fourwinds had nothing to do with the install)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken wind generator mount 003 small.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	2243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken wind generator mount 002 small.jpg
Views:	2465
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2244  

Old 16-12-2007, 18:11   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Sorry Tom, don't have a photo but if I get chance I will take one and post it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 20:54   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I just bought an AirX and found a suitable bracket on e-bay for my mizzen. When I install it in June 08, I will post the progress.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 22:24   #8

Boat: Neptunian Ketch Calloo
We've had a Rutland 913 on the mizzen for nearly 3 years now and it's brilliant. In a blow it used to transmit a humming noise down to the aft cabin but that has reduced a lot now as I suppose it's run in the bearings. I had a stainless tapered box section mount made by a friend. I'll sort out some pics if you're interested.
Chris
Capt Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 05:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
We've had a Rutland 913 on the mizzen for nearly 3 years now and it's brilliant. In a blow it used to transmit a humming noise down to the aft cabin but that has reduced a lot now as I suppose it's run in the bearings. I had a stainless tapered box section mount made by a friend. I'll sort out some pics if you're interested.
Chris
A photo or two would be helpful - Thanks!
Old 14-01-2009, 14:59   #10

Boat: Shanon 38 Ketch "Just Imagine:
On Just Imagine we installed our Air X Marine just above the mizzen spreaders on a custom made bracket. This is the drawing that I gave to the welder and the end result was very good. You can see more details on http://www.worldcruisingguide.net/in...p?area_id=1861

Howard Just is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 07:20   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I don't have any pics of mine on Santana, but I have a KISS mounted on the top of the mizzen. Just had a bracket made for the pipe mount and it's above everything else and there's nothing for it to make contact with. Did have problems with an occasional sea gull, but carefully installed animal whistles on the blades and that took care of the problem. No interference with the wind flow up that high and it's totally out of the way. GOOD LUCK
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 10:03   #12

I had mounted the AIR-X on the mizzen and there was never any vibration. This might be due to the fact the mast was wood. What I did not like about it was the danger of a halyard inadvertently coming in contact with the whirling blades. As we all know.....accident happen. Like Captain Ron said..."If anything is going to happen, it's going to happen out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air-X 002.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	6786  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 15-01-2009, 10:52   #13

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I would have to balance the idea of that with my love for flying a mizzen stay-sail.

I just have a hard time coming to grips with the idea of having a wind generator aloft like that. So many things could go wrong and have you up the mast when you would least enjoy it.

I used a wind generator at anchor, hoisted on a halyard. Never could bring myself to sailing with one though.....I guess it's just the coward in me..
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 11:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
I would have to balance the idea of that with my love for flying a mizzen stay-sail.

I just have a hard time coming to grips with the idea of having a wind generator aloft like that. So many things could go wrong and have you up the mast when you would least enjoy it.

I used a wind generator at anchor, hoisted on a halyard. Never could bring myself to sailing with one though.....I guess it's just the coward in me..
To be honest I will not use a wind gen again. Solar just worked too well for me. Although I was in a slip at the time. I did have to go aloft and take the damn thing down agian after I blew it up do to an "owner error".
Old 15-01-2009, 11:37   #15

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
To be honest I will not use a wind gen again. Solar just worked too well for me. Although I was in a slip at the time. I did have to go aloft and take the damn thing down agian after I blew it up do to an "owner error".

I had 4, 48A solar panels. They worked OK but I like to use my radar 24/7 at sea. They just couldn't keep up. I had a little Kabota 2 cyl diesel in my engine room that had a 150A alternator and my fridge compressor on it. I had to run that an hour a day for the fridge anyway so that kept my batteries topped off as well.

However, had I felt comfortable with a wind generator aloft, I may have been able to avoid listening to that engine run an hour every day 365. On the other hand, there were many days that the wind generator wouldn't have been much use at sea.......remember...."Gentleman don't sail to windward".
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, mast, wind generator