Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2008, 16:49   #16

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Masthead wind generator

Here's a photo of the rather unusual wind-generator mounting I spotted in La Conner the other day. It spins merrily away, though I am troubled by the thought of the weight aloft, I-squared-R losses, and interaction with the masthead instruments.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	masthead-wind.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	3607  
Old 18-05-2008, 18:53   #17

Boat: 44 footer
I like it... Multipurpose wind indicator...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 18:56   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
From what I've observed, the majority of ketches mount their w/g's on the mizzen roughly half way up - tho I've seen one or two all the way at the top. I've never had a discussion with anyone about this, but assume it must work well or so many people wouldn't do it.
On the other hand, most of us with single masts mount the w/g on a pole at the stern. Key point for that location is make it high enough so that no one can mistakenly reach up and put their hand into the rotating blades! We get plenty of wind for our KISS unit which is about 15 feet or so above water level.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 19:28   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
A big consideration on wind generator mounting is --how are you going to service it? The wind generators are not light, and getting one on and off the top of a mast is going to be tricky.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 18:32   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Just finished wiring and installing the actual unit. Strangely enough, it was blowing 20 kts at the time making it a fun job. It is now gusting to 30 here in Ca. where the boat is and needless to say the batteries are nicely topped off. As you can see I mounted the radar reflector into the Windgen bracket protecting sails and lines from snagging. No regrets buying this unit and installing it on the mizzen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air-X 002.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	3626  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 09:42   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
In All FastCats we mount the Air Breeze wind generator in the top of the mast , minimizing noise and vibration maximizing amps per hour , we now have used this for over 30.000 NM and all I can say it works wonders.
Greetings
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 07:47   #22

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
In All FastCats we mount the Air Breeze wind generator in the top of the mast , minimizing noise and vibration maximizing amps per hour , we now have used this for over 30.000 NM and all I can say it works wonders.
Greetings
Gideon
Gideon,

Have you developed your own custom mount, or do you have a supplier? I'm under a time crunch, and I'm trying to prevent the local boatyard from fabricating one at $US90.00/hour if I can find a suitable pre-fabricated mast-head mount. All I can find so far is a mast-front mount from Hamilton-Ferris for $399.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 09:07   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
Gideon,

Have you developed your own custom mount, or do you have a supplier? I'm under a time crunch, and I'm trying to prevent the local boatyard from fabricating one at $US90.00/hour if I can find a suitable pre-fabricated mast-head mount. All I can find so far is a mast-front mount from Hamilton-Ferris for $399.
In our solution we get a 48 mm stainless pipe run into the mast connected with 2 rows of 5 bolts screwed in at an angle of 45 degrees and a nylon flange to protect against corrosion and on top of this is the wind generator mounted

Greetings
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wind gen small.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	3684  
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 19:14   #24

Boat: Shanon 38 Ketch "Just Imagine:
We had a mizzen bracket custom made for our Air X Marine wind generator on Just Imagine and mounted it near the spreaders to reduce weight aloft, reduce the size (and weight) of the cable needed, and allow reasonably easy servicing.

I have put the bracket drawing that I gave to the welder along with some wiring details on World Cruising Guide.net at the following link Sailing: Wind generator, Electrical-12/24V: Service and Support, Mizzen Bracket, Wind Gen Wiring, On Just Imagine we mounted an Air X Marine wind generator on a custom made bracket on the mizzen mast. We bought the unit from West Marine for about $1000
Howard Just is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 01:22   #25

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
I had a bracket made up for my wind generator to mount it on the mizzen mast. The fabricators mounted it too low, it got caught up in some reefing lines on my mainsail and pulled the generator off. The boat was new to me, the guys who were making the mount had a supposedly great reputation and sounded like they knew what they were talking about. I should have gotten involved more with the design phase rather than trusting these "experienced rigging people". I hope somebody can learn from my mistake.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:26   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
2 different angles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bimini windgnertr.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	4907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stnl laundry.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	4908  

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 21:21   #27

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
In our solution we get a 48 mm stainless pipe run into the mast connected with 2 rows of 5 bolts screwed in at an angle of 45 degrees and a nylon flange to protect against corrosion and on top of this is the wind generator mounted

Greetings
I really like this idea.

Any estimate on additional average power generation in a typical tropics location? (Same as two on the back of the boat?)

What are the failure modes?

Are there situations that would require climbing the mast at sea? I really hate the idea of doing that...

Is there a foolproof way to shut down the wind generator if it get's too windy (hurricane) or if the unit mechanically fails?

Does the added weight on top of the mast effect hobby-horsing?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 21:52   #28

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRhapCity View Post
I really like this idea.

Any estimate on additional average power generation in a typical tropics location? (Same as two on the back of the boat?)

What are the failure modes?

Are there situations that would require climbing the mast at sea? I really hate the idea of doing that...

Is there a foolproof way to shut down the wind generator if it get's too windy (hurricane) or if the unit mechanically fails?

Does the added weight on top of the mast effect hobby-horsing?
I would also add How would you service it?
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 22:08   #29

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
We have our KISS mounted at the top of the mizzen and prefer it there over anywhere else. Always out of the way and never have to worry about it. Sorry, don't have any photo's available.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 14:05   #30

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Bringing back an older post... All of the mizzen mountings described let the wind gen rotate to face the wind. Is it taboo to mount the gen fixed facing forward on the mizzen? Stress loads too high as the boat sails back 'n forth while anchored? Whats your opinion? Thanks, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator