Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 15:10   #1

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity
Wind generator experiences...

Hi to all of you
Before all thank you for allowing me to be a member of this forum! I plan to go for sailing to the Pacific and I would like to achieve power independance. Therefore, I look for the installation of a Wind generator. I handle 2 batteries with 95 Amps/each and I have hooked up my instruments, as also a 5 Amp fridge. By looking which generator brand to choose, all of them claim to be the best, all the rest of their competitors are incompetent to handle power generation and I cannot establish a trusty opinion. Who of you has what experience with wind generators?
Tks already for your feedbacks....
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 15:29   #2

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Re: Wind generator experiences...

Syserenity, I can only speak from non-technical experience. We have a Beneteau 41 in the Caribbean where one can count on about 15knots of average wind. We installed a new Southwest Windpower Air Breeze as recommended by a member of our group, who is an electrical engineer and researched them all. This wind generator has a sophisticated solid state charging regulator built into the head allowing it to be connected directly to the battery bank. We have new AGM house batteries and a new 12V Isotherm refrigerator. We have no problem maintaining a fully charged house battery system running the refrigerator almost full time. I know that this isn't very technical, but it is our practical experience. We love it. gts1544
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 15:36   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I had excellent service for over 10 years from the previous generation of Rutland windcharger. The newer generation Rutland claims more power, but these are relatively low ouput generators still. In tradewind areas they may be enough for you, but I still think a mix of solar and wind and engine is best. The Rutland could be run underway and in high winds at anchor, while many of the bigger ones are limited in when you can use them.
Old 19-01-2013, 16:07   #4

Boat: boat less ATM

You should do a search in this forum on the topic of wind generators. Like the anchor threads, there are many opinions on various manufacturers or whether WG's are worth the cost. Certainly solar panels are worth installing especially in the Pacific.

After reading all the previous mentioned threads I went for a KISS and found it to be worth it. If money was no object, I would have bought an Aerogen with the water towing capacity. KISS WG;s are simply constructed with easily obtainable parts. I have not wired in a regulator as the manufacturer feels that it cuts out too much of the production curve. However, you need to be prepared to tie off if leaving the boat.

I had a Rutland on a previous boat 7 years ago fitted with a regulator. It definitely was not worth the cost. It was nice & quiet but never put power in worth a damn.

KISS is a little louder but much more efficient. Air Marines are too noisy to live with, IMHO. But that is a whole can of worms not worth revisiting.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wind generator experiences...

I'm into the Aerogen's... quiet and they do the job..
Never understand how folk can put up with the racket many put out..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:13   #6
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Bad experience with southwest windpower here and wouldn't buy from them again. Parts cost a fortune and failures were often. When a manufacterer charges that much for parts it irks me to no end. Before purchasing take a look at part prices and see if you could buy 5 new ones for what the individual parts would cost to build one.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 19:37   #7

Boat: Beneteau 50

Please don't get an Air-X. In a strong wind -- exactly when you want a wind generator -- they sound like an airplane taking off.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind