Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Wind Generator Output - Are You Disappointed?
My wind generator has fully met my expectations, meeting all of my electrical consumption on board unless it is very calm. 4 18.18%
My wind generator has fully met my expectations, taking care of some of my power consumption in windy weather, and keeping the batteries up when I'm not on board. 11 50.00%
My wind generator has been a disappointment to me, but it least it keeps a trickle charge on my batts when I'm not on board. 6 27.27%
My wind generator is useless; I have ripped it out to save space and windage (or think about/dream about ripping it out). 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-08-2012, 08:16   #16

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage
Re: Wind Generator (Especially Rutland) Real Life Output

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Separate wind and solar controllers are fine. In bulk charging, they'll both work. ...............
I'm not sure you are 100% right on this one.

Normally when two solar regulators are working together this is absolutely true but with wind you get get a huge output with gusts - much greater than a small solar will be delivering. When the wind dies the regulator may drop down to float because it sees the solar in bulk mode. It may stay there for a predetermined time governed by the software before it comes back on again. With small solar arrays the wind genny could well be supplying most of the power, but it is sitting in float mode doing nothing very much.

If you do have both try some experiments and bypass the wind regulator and see how many extra amps you are getting for how long. It would be nice to see some facts and figures here.

We regulate our wind by turning it off ONLY when we leave the boat, since our large 1050Ah bank very rarely reaches fully charged at anchor. Certainly when the solar goes down to float it's a long way off fully charged! We set a high voltage alarm on the battery monitor to warn us if the volts are too high, but this has never happened in 7 years of living aboard.

Old 25-08-2012, 09:01   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Air breeze owners, more details please.
I have an air breeze and it doesn't seem to do much unless we have well over 15k sustained.
I took it in to e marine because the indicator light wasn't working. They fixed that & checked the output and said it was working normally.

I have a blue sky charge controller for my 280w of solar. Could that be cutting off the wind gen output? The wind gen never seems to cut itself off in windy conditions, it always turns. My victron doesn't seem to show very much output. Hard to say, as it jumps around too much to judge.

Old 25-08-2012, 11:38   #18

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere
Air breeze owners, more details please.
I have an air breeze and it doesn't seem to do much unless we have well over 15k sustained.
I took it in to e marine because the indicator light wasn't working. They fixed that & checked the output and said it was working normally.

I have a blue sky charge controller for my 280w of solar. Could that be cutting off the wind gen output? The wind gen never seems to cut itself off in windy conditions, it always turns. My victron doesn't seem to show very much output. Hard to say, as it jumps around too much to judge.
Have you discharged your batteries to 50-70% to do a test? Batteries determine how much current they will accept based on their state of charge.

sorry if that's a silly question
Old 25-08-2012, 12:13   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Wind Generator (Especially Rutland) Real Life Output

I purchased an Ampair 100 in 1996. I chose Ampair since it was quiet, dependable and didn't have to be locked down in strong winds. We sailed South Florida and the Caribbean during the Winter and Spring where winds were fairly consistent. I was very disappointed by its average output which was negligible (25 amp hours per 24 hours average) at best unless the winds were 20 k plus consistently when we accumulated 40 amp hours per day. I removed it when we returned to the Midwest ten years later and haven't used it since. It is dependable, quiet and practically maintenance free but for the cost, installation and neglibile output I would not recommend it. Currently, I'm looking at the new German built unit Superwind which has some impressive numbers in their advertising. Anyone familiar with the unit?
Old 25-08-2012, 15:56   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham

Have you discharged your batteries to 50-70% to do a test? Batteries determine how much current they will accept based on their state of charge.

sorry if that's a silly question
The experience I was relating was with SOC anywhere from 40% to 90%.
If the batts are at 100% the wind gen will cycle on and off even if there is good wind depending on load.

Tags
generator, rutland, wind, wind generator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: