Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-08-2012, 08:54   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Wind Generator Comparison

here is a recent link i found to a test comparison of 4 popular high output wind generators good info in there with prices!

for your perusal

http://www.naviclub.com/Test_compara...nes_marine.pdf

Old 31-08-2012, 09:33   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Re: wind generator comparison

If you want to be a considerate cruiser to the others in the anchorage, be sure to get one that can not be heard beyond a 50' circle around your boat. OR, just use it when by yourself, or at sea.

The W.H.O., btw, after a MAJOR study over many years... has classified "noise pollution" as being the second most lethal of all forms of pollution. (Air pollution being #1). Constant noise keeps a person's Cortisol level high, 24/7, leading to stress & disease. Really... Hard to believe I know, but true.

Also, aesthetically speaking, "most" cruisers go cruising for beautiful, bucolic anchorages, and peace & quiet... To unwind from the grind. Noise ruins it for these folks.

Solar works best, for the longest time, and is more reliable, but Wind is another route. It is the right one for some boats. There are many VERY quiet, but low output, models out there, and a couple that are quiet and produce well, but are VERY VERY expensive. Then there are the SouthWest Wind Power models (AirX, Air Breeze etc), that stand alone for being obnoxiously loud. A model that produces quite well, is relatively quiet, well built, and relatively inexpensive... is the KISS.

We are among the more "sensitive to noise 50%", and once buddyboated all over, next to a friend's boat, with one of these units. Both the volume AND "nature" of their gentile whirrr, was not at all objectionable to us, and the output ratings were great as well.

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	042_42.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	45839   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290437 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	45840  

Old 31-08-2012, 10:02   #3

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Very quiet and efficient blades for the Air-X generators and cousins.

SPRECO, Silentwindgenerator

You and others in the anchorage will appreciate it. Air-X jet turbines can be heard 100's of feet away while sitting 10 feet from my Fourwinds. The Kiss generator is probably the most quiet for the money. Fourwinds is no more.

John
Old 31-08-2012, 10:03   #4

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

I think its telling that they said in the article, that a wind generator will not supply as much as a solar panel on a sunny day. But then in the Caribbean many days were partly cloudy. I never figured out how to get the whisper wind generator and solar cell to work together. So I usually used one or the other. The Solar cell performed better. The wind generator was noisier.
Old 31-08-2012, 11:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Wind Generator Comparison

i have found that generally on trade wind passages that i have done with a high out put wind generator,it has performed way better than the solar array.

the wind generator puts out power 24 hours a day,where as down wind with poled out sails you are lucky to get more than 4 hours a day at optimum charge,the rest of the day light period the panels are either in the shadow of the sails or pointing in the wrong direction!
Old 31-08-2012, 11:23   #6

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We carry 795 watts of solar on our boat... It works great when the sun comes out at over 40 amp per hour, but here in Central America that is a big "if". Our solar panels over the last two months have been achieving less than 60% of what they were producing in the sunny regions of Mexico.

We are looking at installing a AirMaax Wind Generator on our boat. My marine engineer friend about creamed his jeans when he saw this unit at the Oakland Boat Show a couple of years ago.

It is designed to Mil Spec and is used on USCG Buoys. It is quiet and produces 10 amps in 15 knots of wind and over 25 amps in 25 knots of wind.

The down side it is expensive at $2200 (US).

The same company makes the ElectroMaax high output alternators and serpentine belt kits, which we have been using on our boat for 4 years and love it...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 11:33   #7

Boat: OEM, proportional

Looking through various brochures and tech specs, and I cannot see any of them supplying numbers on emitted noise levels.
Old 31-08-2012, 11:50   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
We carry 795 watts of solar on our boat... It works great when the sun comes out at over 40 amp per hour, but here in Central America that is a big "if". Our solar panels over the last two months have been achieving less than 60% of what they were producing in the sunny regions of Mexico.

We are looking at installing a AirMaax Wind Generator on our boat. My marine engineer friend about creamed his jeans when he saw this unit at the Oakland Boat Show a couple of years ago.

It is designed to Mil Spec and is used on USCG Buoys. It is quiet and produces 10 amps in 15 knots of wind and over 25 amps in 25 knots of wind.

The down side it is expensive at $2200 (US).

The same company makes the ElectroMaax high output alternators and serpentine belt kits, which we have been using on our boat for 4 years and love it...
my sentiments entirely it would be great if you could repost this on vic's thread simple solar for a simpleton,!
Old 31-08-2012, 11:52   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Looking through various brochures and tech specs, and I cannot see any of them supplying numbers on emitted noise levels.
still way more quite than running a diesel generator
Old 31-08-2012, 12:09   #10

Boat: OEM, proportional

What? I can't hear you, the coolies in the treadmill are puffing too hard.
Old 31-08-2012, 13:23   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

That test is quite old (2004 I think) and they rate the Rutland 913 quite high. We have had a number of people complain about the Rutland on this site. There are also newer models, like the D400 that get good reviews on the forum that wasn't tested. I am very leery about the validity of this review.
Old 31-08-2012, 13:32   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
That test is quite old (2004 I think) and they rate the Rutland 913 quite high. We have had a number of people complain about the Rutland on this site. There are also newer models, like the D400 that get good reviews on the forum that wasn't tested. I am very leery about the validity of this review.
things move on ,perhaps you would like to post some links to more recent reviews in stead of just being leery
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

here is a link to the d400

D400 Urban Wind Turbine
Old 01-09-2012, 06:29   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

atoll; no, I can't point to a new comparison study. However I do know that things change in time and new products have come to market in the elapsed time since the study that you linked to. As I mentioned in my earlier post we have had a number of complaints of low output from one of the wind gens. touted in the study and many complaints of noise from another. Why should I not be concerned with the study and why should I not voice my concerns?

Perhaps its a personal thing?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25   #15

I think this is the latest test. http://www.marlec.co.uk/wp-content/u...ull-Report.pdf

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: