Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11   #16

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
Re: Wind Generator Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post

I've had an Airbreeze for 3 years now and have noticed a couple of things:

Sailors who have experienced the banchee screem of the air X generally assume, or choose to believe, that the air breeze has the same noise output. It doesn't. Visually, it is almost impossible to tell them apart.

The Air breese does have a whishing sound for a brief period as it comes up to speed, but becomes silent once revs are high enough to generate power. When the wind is light and gusty and insufficient to stay at the power generating RPM, I prefer to switch it off, as it's not doing anything productive anyway and this eliminates the slight whishing RPM transition sounds.

This is the exact opposite of the air X that was noisiest when generating.

These 2 models should not be confused or painted with the same brush.

Dave L38 #38
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:42   #17

I don't want to divert the thread but what I have heard so far are some experienced people with wind & solar options. I have seen many boats with both.

Q: Are the outputs of both tied together and fed into a controller that charges the batteries.

Thanks
Jaxxiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:51   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxiam View Post
I don't want to divert the thread but what I have heard so far are some experienced people with wind & solar options. I have seen many boats with both.

Q: Are the outputs of both tied together and fed into a controller that charges the batteries.

Thanks
good question,the air breeze comes with its own smart controller,that also will put the unit into stall mode if the wind is too high or the batteries are full.

how this should be linked up to other smsrt controllers i cant comment,but im sure someone running the two systems,ie solar or more than one wind gen will comment.

i found this which is a mppt,that does both with a boost function for the solar side of things
http://www.emarineinc.com/categories...Control-Panel/

there are also dual controllers available such as this
http://www.wire-wiz.com/id86.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:17   #19

I run my systems separately, my solar is through an MPPT and the air breeze on its own reg. If the solar is running at full power the Air breeze puts on the brakes until the solar backs off and both shut down when the motors on and the amps are high from the alternator.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34   #20

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
good question,the air breeze comes with its own smart controller,that also will put the unit into stall mode if the wind is too high or the batteries are full.

how this should be linked up to other smsrt controllers i cant comment,but im sure someone running the two systems,ie solar or more than one wind gen will comment.

i found this which is a mppt,that does both with a boost function for the solar side of things
e20 Wind and Solar Control Panel
Yes, there are controllers that will combine wind and solar.

I prefer to keep my solar completely independant from my wind. That was one reason I chose the air breeze with internal regulation. My solar goes into a bluesky Mppt contoller. I also have 2 X 90 amp alternators with external controllers, all going into 640 Amp Hr battery bank. The assorted controllers all cooperate because the cut-out voltages are set slightly apart. Wind set lowest, then alternators, and solar highest.

Dave L38 #38
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59   #21

I can see the virtue of having the systems separated. If one goes there is less of a chance of frying others.
I will need to look deeper into the subject.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: New port 28
Send a message via Skype™ to paddyd

systems should use different controller
once at operating speed blades have expended to full size and noise should come down
look at my generators I think they are the best with a controller
paddyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 22:30   #23

Here is another question: It's about the outputs of the wind and solar controllers.

Are both used to charge the house bank?
The starter battery should be taken of by the alternator but I also heard that high OP...........

You know what? Are there some good books on charging system options I'll do better by look'n at schematics.

Thanks Guys!
Old 03-09-2012, 23:14   #24

Last summer I was tied up in a town quay next to a boat that had the Superwind. It was blowing 20 to 30 knots and it wasn't until the 2nd day that I looked up and noticed that they even had a wind generator (my bimimi obscured the view most of the time). It was so quiet.... I was impressed. The noise from the wind howling through and the fact that I am deaf in one ear probably helped disguise the sound.

Once I realised it was there, I tried to listen for it and whilst I could hear it, it was so quiet it would fade back into the background when not looking for the sound.

It is 100% certain that I will get a Superwind when I decide I need a wind generator. I don't see any point in paying half as much as something that is not as good. The review just reinforces my opinion
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:03   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxiam View Post
Here is another question: It's about the outputs of the wind and solar controllers.

Are both used to charge the house bank?
The starter battery should be taken of by the alternator but I also heard that high OP...........

You know what? Are there some good books on charging system options I'll do better by look'n at schematics.

Thanks Guys!
putting in a diverter switch is allways an option if the wind gen has its own controller,for peak solar charging periods.

i have 3 battery banks,house 24v,engine 24v and gen set 12v

with a constant fridge /,domestic out flow excess power needs could be channeled thru the engine batteries during the day,with solar giving full charge to the house batteries.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:43   #26

Thumbs up Re: Wind Generator Comparison

Quote:
with a constant fridge /,domestic out flow excess power needs could be channeled thru the engine batteries during the day,with solar giving full charge to the house batteries.
I know I'm getting off the tread topic but:
Atoll - I'm assuming you mean the daily power usage when you say "domestic out flow". I take this to say you use the starter batteries to run those items.
You must have switches that connect the different battery banks to the house system.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:20   #27

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:

e20 Wind and Solar Control Panel

there are also dual controllers available such as this
Ampair Dual Channel Wind and Solar Regulator
Good to see that more recent comparrison test still has the Air Breeze rated so well and top recommendation for the higher output units.
At the price it looks really good value.

Dave's first hand experience and recommendation of it makes this a no brainer in my mind if seriously looking at wind gennies

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:46   #28

Boat: Punch 1010 36ft

I once wanted to buy extra solarWc and calculated that the AirX was only slightly more expensive then 2 x 100Wc but could give 300W,,,,AND this during 24h whereas solar would be in between 3 and 9hrs...
People said it made noise when it was windy, I on the otherhand was indoors when it
was that windy...
I like the idea of having two independent systems, if one fails....
never regretted buying that Air.
laforge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15   #29

Where the air breeze makes more sense is in the output curve, it does not have one. Instead it starts pumping out usable Amps at a low speed and peeks at @15Amps from about 18Mph through to 35Mph and then puts on the brakes after that keeping the revs at a safe level and the Amps at 15Amps. With the others the Amps may be higher in higher winds but who wants to be in a gale when 10-15 knots is all good. Around the islands I see 5 to 10 amps all day and night.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27   #30

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

The Air breese does have a whishing sound for a brief period as it comes up to speed, but becomes silent once revs are high enough to generate power. When the wind is light and gusty and insufficient to stay at the power generating RPM, I prefer to switch it off, as it's not doing anything productive anyway and this eliminates the slight whishing RPM transition sounds.

Dave L38 #38

That is exactly my experience. We keep ours off whenever the wind is light and variable as it doesn't do anything anyway. But when it's producing power it's very quiet, not as quiet as a d400 but nowhere near the cost either. I found ours on eBay new for $300 as a freight damaged box land version. Now it's been on the mizzen for over three years with a trip from Houston to Guatemala and back with nothing other than an occasional spritzing with boeshield or corrosionX.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind