Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2008, 18:23   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Will this work?

In 1 1/2 to 2 years my DC load will be much greater, but it will be less until then.
What I am thinking is to wire my batteries as per the attached. I would install all of what will become my house batteries now except part of the bank would also serve as my starting battery (for now). I would keep the portion of the bank isolated while starting the engine via switching and the rest of the time it would be combined to be one large house bank. I would even combine them once the engine has been started. I think this is okay because I am never without batteries online to send charge to. Experts PLEASE let me know if this is okay. As far as the intent of the switching shown in the attachment, I'm using it in almost the exact opposite way. I do know that there would be some risk (beyond others risk envelope) involved in this approach with regards to running the batteries low and then not having juice to start the engine and also switching the WRONG switch and taking ALL the batteries offline and frying EVERYTHING. I think I'm disciplined enough to watch out for this and am willing to take this chance. I'm thinking (to be confirmed) that the bank would be in the neighborhood of 800 to 1000 amp hours for this bank. Halfway through the summer I could switch halves so that they would work the same if the experts think is would be a good thing.
What I am trying to avoid is adding to my house bank later mixing used with new batteries in the bank.
Latter I would add starting batteries and the above would become exclusively my house batteries.

Or....... if there is some sort of filters that I could install so that I could keep it all as one bank even when I'm starting the engine that would protect my electronics I would like to do this. Anyone know of such protection?

Additional Info:
Engine is a Westerbeke 46hp.
Alternator is a 120 amp Balmar with a Balmar Max Charge Digital Regulator (MC-612-H).
Batteries are Trojan 27-AGM's.
Charger/Inverter is a Magnum MS-Series Pure Sine (MS2012-U).

As I am writing this, I'm thinking that it may be better to just run for a couple of years with an over sized house bank and just get a separate starting battery. Less complicated, Less risk and LESS STUPID.
Anyway, I've written it now so either leave some valid comments
or......... just laugh.

Let me know what you think and if there are better approaches.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RBatterySwitches.png
Views:	184
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	5945  
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote