Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2013, 04:50   #1

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Why Does The Solar Smart Charger Show 'All Charged' When The Mains Charger is Still C

-Charging?!

I'm a bit confused as I have the batteries charging from the mains with a 10A charger. SFSG.

I also have solar charging at the same time. This shows amber which after a short hour or so turns to green , indicating fully charged.

But the batteries are anything but, and the mains charger is still charging and continuing showing amber itself.

So...why green on one and amber on the other...and why the delay in solar turning to green?!

An answer would probably give me an insight into how electrons go round circuits-never a bad thing!!!
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 05:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Why Does The Solar Smart Charger Show 'All Charged' When The Mains Charger is Sti

A guess here, but if one charging system is set to charge a regular wet battery, and the other AGM (or whatever), the differing charge/float voltages may account for one shutting down before full charge
Old 23-01-2013, 05:56   #3

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: Why Does The Solar Smart Charger Show 'All Charged' When The Mains Charger is Sti

they probably have different set points, eg the solar one may say charged at 14v where as the mains one maybe 14.4v

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:14   #4

Boat: C&C 25

I am not sure if you can harvest energy from multiple sources without having a smart centralized charging unit. It might be that the solar charging unit is seeing an "activity" and declaring all is well. Now how the solar charging unit is establishing that a charge is full should be indicated in the equipment documentation or at least online.

Sorry I cannot help more, but if you publish make/model I can attempt to do some research and come up with a more detailed comment.
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, solar