I have been having some issues with my motor
the batteries. I don't have a separate starter and house bank, the engine
starts from the house batteries. The back up is the generator
which has a separate start battery
and can charge the house bank. Anyway, I didn't design it, but its what is there.
I have a thing labelled "Battery Isolator" from Sure Power Industries. It has an alternator
terminal, a positive terminal and a negative terminal. The 'isolator' initially failed because the terminals were so corroded it was not passing charge to the batteries. I cleaned this all up and we were getting good charging current
to the battery
- 30 amps. Then we weren't again. On inspection
the positive wire from this isolator had cooked and the first inch or so of it was burnt. The wire is fairly thin, maybe about 1mm in diameter of twisted copper. This device itself looks pretty old and nasty.
I removed the isolator from the circuit, attaching the alternator
cable direct to the battery cable. I get a charging current
My issue is that at full speed the alternator produces a fairly high current, did this isolator do something to protect the batteries in some way? I am a bit worried that without this 'isolator' that I may be overcharging, or was its job to prevent current leakage back through the alternator?
Any insight would be appreciated.