Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 18:54   #31

Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Which Solar Panel Brands Are Considered The Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
Thanks for the useful replies. So far Im researching Solara, Sunpower, Sunbeam and Kyocera. Any others?
Have you looked at these - State of the art technology | Solar | Eco solutions | Business | Panasonic Global
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:36   #32

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

I will certainly research the panasonic panels as well. Much appreciated.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:46   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

You probably want to contact some solar power suppliers in harsh areas like S Spain or California - ask them which brands they deploy on those huge fields.

We have one panel from Neste and the other ("identical") a Nonamesplease from China. The old Neste looks like new (15 years old) the Chinese Nonamesplease one looks pretty bad (5 years old).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:08   #34

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

Thinwater, your comment is of immense relevance. Do the non-flex panels break if stood on? If they generally dont, and one considers your comments, then it makes no sense to purchase the flex panels. A further aggrivating factor is that they also seemd to be more expensive. Why buy them then? This is my dilema as the new panels that Im about to purchase will be on my cat bimini which is walked on. Any critisism of my uninformed conclusion will be welcomed.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:43   #35
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
Thinwater, your comment is of immense relevance. Do the non-flex panels break if stood on? If they generally dont, and one considers your comments, then it makes no sense to purchase the flex panels. A further aggrivating factor is that they also seemd to be more expensive. Why buy them then? This is my dilema as the new panels that Im about to purchase will be on my cat bimini which is walked on. Any critisism of my uninformed conclusion will be welcomed.
They are specifically designed to be applied directly to a rigid surface, and to bear up under light careful foot traffic, barefoot or soft-shod.

Obviously the surface needs to load bearing, think like a rubber shower mat in the tub.

Glass framed panels are suspended, generally not load bearing.

People pay more for less longevity because their placement requirements force them, or for the less obtrusive aesthetics.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:03   #36

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

We have one panel from Neste and the other ("identical") a Nonamesplease from China. The old Neste looks like new (15 years old) the Chinese Nonamesplease one looks pretty bad (5 years old).

b.
And what was the price difference?

On flex panels the price ratio between high-end and direct from China can be 5 to 1, so sometimes it just makes sense to get a panel and plan for a 3 year life.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 18:13   #37

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You probably want to contact some solar power suppliers in harsh areas like S Spain or California - ask them which brands they deploy on those huge fields.

b.
They use Tier one manufacturers, but not for the same reasons you are interested in. Their main concerns are price, performance warranty and failure warranty, insurance of warranty, ability to deliver large quantities on time, terms and logistics. Efficiency is rarely a big issue as they usually don't supply the land or land is plentiful.
The Tier one manufacturers include Canadian Solar, Trina, Jinko, LG.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar