Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2013, 08:50   #1

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
Which is better 1 or 2

I am in the process of preparing my 30' CS for the trip to the keys at the end of the year...My plan is to install solar pannels but here is where i get lost...Is one 240 watt better than two (2) 140 watts...now here is what i have on board...one sea frost refer...gps/chartplotter...vhf...stero...tv...nav lights...cabin fans 3 ea....now all cabin lights and soon all anchor and running lights will be LED's...lap top with 500 watt inverter....I have just replaced all three of my batters with new...(two house and one start)...and upgraded my charger to a 30 amp...so guys/gals any suggestions would be appericated...thanks
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 09:25   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Which is better 1 or 2

Go for the most watts you can fit easily and preferably cheaply in the space you have.
If everything else is equal multiple smaller panels will do better in the shaded conditions experienced on a boat.
2x 120w would give slightly more power than a single 240w panel, but the difference is small. A single larger panel usually takes up a bit less space and is easier to mount than multiple smaller panels of the same wattage.

In your example 2x140w (if that is not a typo) is better than 1x 240w. More watts and more panels.
Include the cost of installation and delivery, with cheap solar panels available this is more significant than ever. Delivery costs can be much higher for the larger panels.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 09:57   #3

Boat: islandpacket
You need a way to store all energy made. If you have a fantastic charging system with high output alt, solar and whatever and have no way to store the energy made you are wasting energy. You need to match your battery bank to store your production.