Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 14:50   #1

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Which Honda Generator?

I'd like to get portable generator to use on my 36 foot sailboat.
Honda make two versions of their 2000 watt portable generator. The first has two 15 amp plugs and the capability for direct 12 volt charging. The second version (the Companion model) has one 30 amp plug, one 15 plug, but no direct 12 volt charging capability.
I like the secure connection of the twist lock 30 amp plug, and I could simply hook up with my shore power chord for charging through my onboard charger.
Both 15 and 30 amp plugs carry a max 13 amps with these units. Is it worth paying a bit more for the secure connection, and loosing out on the direct 12 charging?

Which unit would you choose, and why?
Senboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 15:19   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Which Honda Generator?

I have the one with the 12v outlet. It is a trickle charger at best, you are better off with the other one. Use the 30a outlet and run your ships battery charger from it, you will be much happier with the output.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 15:38   #3

OTOH... If your battery charger goes tits up, you could at least maybe get the engine started with the 12V option after some charging....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 16:40   #4

Assuming they are the same price, and I was only buying one, I'd buy the regular one with 2 15A outlets, for the 8A 12V output. If either one was cheaper, I'd buy the cheaper one. If I needed 2 in parallel, I'd buy the 2 cheapest ones and build my own parallel adapter.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 16:44   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

There is a difference in what they are each capable of starting. The companion model can start a higher load ac unit without tripping its breaker. We proved and witnessed this first hand . even though they have the same rated output they breaker trips much easier on the regular model. If you never have an intention of running an ac unit then it wont matter.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 17:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

With the 12v charger in the Honda being almost worthless, I would go for the added convienience of having the secure 30A twist lock cord plug in. We have both and like the twist lock ease of just plugging in the shore power cord.

Many people buy a Honda 2000 to power our water maker, so we send people to Welcome to Mayberrys.com for the cheapest price on the Honda online I ca find, plus free shipping. I'm not related to them in any way...just like their good prices.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 20:57   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

If you're concerned about not having a backup 12v charger on the 30 amp unit consider just buying a portable 12volt charger that you can use with it.

On Amazon you can buy a 1.5 amp microprocessor based unit or a 50 amp dumb charger for around $50.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 07:59   #8

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 36T

Thanks for all your letters. Especially helpful to hear from those with real world experience using these generators.

I read a review of a similar size Yamaha generator, which claimed the Hondas cannot be run till dry (run until the tank and carb are emptied). Is this true?
Senboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 08:06   #9

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Which Honda Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senboat View Post
Thanks for all your letters. Especially helpful to hear from those with real world experience using these generators.

I read a review of a similar size Yamaha generator, which claimed the Hondas cannot be run till dry (run until the tank and carb are emptied). Is this true?
I've wondered about this too. Not the tank so much as I sure want to run the carb dry. I know a guy who ran his Yamaha a verrrrrrry long time.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 08:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
There is a difference in what they are each capable of starting. The companion model can start a higher load ac unit without tripping its breaker. We proved and witnessed this first hand . even though they have the same rated output they breaker trips much easier on the regular model. If you never have an intention of running an ac unit then it wont matter.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

That was probably just a variation in breaker sensitivity. I've seen 2 identical EU2000s try to start the same A/C, one failed, the other did it. It was screaming the whole time, not very pleasant to hear. That's why I recommend 2 of them. Start one for small loads, start the 2nd one for bigger loads.

I owned a Honda EU3000is and really loved it. Electric start and I installed a remote start key fob. Just push a button from up to 100ft away and it starts or stops. Easily handled an air conditioner or microwave at the same time as a moderately sized battery charger.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:26   #11

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Buy both, keep one as a backup. You can always hook them up together for 4K. I run mine 6 hrs a day every day. Right now it is running two 7 cu ft 110 V freezers, my full sized washing machine, trickle charging my batteries, and charging two computers and two iPads.
I run my 20k Norternlights and 10K Miller diesel for 5 minutes every three months just to keep the pistons moving.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 08:47   #12

The EU2000i is kind of an oddity, to me. While it is portable, easy to start and incredibly reliable, it's just a bit too low on power to really be useful. You don't want to run one for an A/C or microwave even if it would start it, it's screaming it's little guts out. Even a good sized battery charger is too much for it.

If you want 2600w continuous, 3000w peak with electric start, then the EU3000is might be a good choice, but it's definitely a 2 man lift. The other choice would be 2 EU2000s in parallel, giving you 3200w continuous, 4,000w peak but you have to pull start them.

I love the Honda generators, but I don't own anything that a single EU2000i can run. I have inverters that put out more power, and plenty of battery.
Old 16-03-2014, 09:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senboat View Post

I'm positive that this is a myth.

I know a lot of people (at least 8) who run them all night and they run out of gas in the morning. They just fill them up, and start them right up again. One guy always lets his run dry, then refills it, I guess he forgets or doesn't care. He just fills it and it starts right up.

I imagine running any engine lean for a few moments before it dies isn't good for it, but that's not a Honda thing, and it doesn't seem to have hurt anyone's that I know. They run them hard, a lot and they are just amazingly reliable, as long as dirt doesn't get into the rotary on/off switch. It's a combination fuel shutoff and rotary electric shutoff switch, and it can get stuck if filled with dirt. Just open the side panel, disconnect the connector near the switch and it will fire right up. I'm sure that's not a problem on a boat.
Old 16-03-2014, 09:15   #14

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

I'm going to throw my .02 in for the companion model. The convenience of just plugging it in to the shore power outlet is nice. On my new boat I have almost no use for it, however it's seen large loads and held up in the past to daily use and a less than ideal maintenance schedule. Also on the Honda vs Yamaha thing I'd stick with Honda, it is the most prevalent of the two by far and parts are easier to come by.
Old 16-03-2014, 09:18   #15

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I'm positive that this is a myth. I know a lot of people (at least 8) who run them all night and they run out of gas in the morning. They just fill them up, and start them right up again. One guy always lets his run dry, then refills it, I guess he forgets or doesn't care. He just fills it and it starts right up. I imagine running any engine lean for a few moments before it dies isn't good for it, but that's not a Honda thing, and it doesn't seem to have hurt anyone's that I know. They run them hard, a lot and they are just amazingly reliable, as long as dirt doesn't get into the rotary on/off switch. It's a combination fuel shutoff and rotary electric shutoff switch, and it can get stuck if filled with dirt. Just open the side panel, disconnect the connector near the switch and it will fire right up. I'm sure that's not a problem on a boat.
The honda kill switch also closes the fuel line. There isn't a separate fuel line valve to facilitate running the carb dry. There is a drain screw on the carb bowl though. Shut the unit down and let it cool, couple of turns on the screw and the bowl drains through a small hose to the bottom of the unit. No problem.

I also have a Yamaha 2400 that currently has carb problems.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda