Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 09:58   #16

Boat: Carter offshore 35
Re: Which Honda Generator?

Which ever one you get remove the steel Philips head cover bolts and replace them with stainless hex head. Had mine 2 years and went to service it and these bolts were rusted so bad they rounded out and had to drill them out.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 09:59   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senboat View Post
Thanks for all your letters. Especially helpful to hear from those with real world experience using these generators.

I read a review of a similar size Yamaha generator, which claimed the Hondas cannot be run till dry (run until the tank and carb are emptied). Is this true?
I would chose a Honda over the Yamaha and here is why.
The Yamaha has problems starting larger motors, where the Honda does it no problem.

We have seen 6 different Yamana 2000 generators that could not start our 1.0Hp motor on our water makers. While we have hundreds of Honda 2000 generators running the same motor. After hours and hours and hours trying to pry answers out of the Yamaha tech support, the end results was that the Yahama electronics either see's the motor starting capacitor as a dead short and cuts power or it can't handle the start-up draw of a 1.0Hp motor either reason if enough for me to buy the Honda over the Yamaha.

If you want to run the Honda carb dry, you have to let the generator run out of gas because the Honda kill swith and fuel cut off in on the same knob. The Yamaha has a seperate kill switch and fuel shut off, so you can run the fuel out of the carb. But honestly...so what. I've been running my Honda on Mexico gas for over 4yrs and if we ever need to store the Honda for long periods, we just run the battery charger until the Honda dies and the carb is empty.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 16:20   #18

Boat: Fantasia 35

It is possible to convert the Honda EU2000i to use a tri-fuel carb. This allows the generator to operate with gas, propane, and natural gas. When using propane the carb stays clean. The cost is in the $200 range. The only draw back is the addition of a propane regulator to the outside of the Honda's case.

Here is one of the suppliers of these types of mod's: Tri-Fuel Kit for Honda EU2000i
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 17:45   #19

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

I think and believe running any gas motor gravity fed will do no damage to it if ran dry. Just may take a few more pulls to start if the carb needs to fill up. A diesel OTOH ran dry may harm a fuel pump and for some be a disaster trying to purge the air out.

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 11:16   #20

Boat: Stevens 47

Will the Honda EU2000i run a 6 gallon hot water tank? Thinking of adding a hot water tank to Kewalo, and using the Honda to run the hot water tank at anchor instead of the diesel engine?
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 11:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Will the Honda EU2000i run a 6 gallon hot water tank? Thinking of adding a hot water tank to Kewalo, and using the Honda to run the hot water tank at anchor instead of the diesel engine?
Look at the label or online for the wattage or amperage of your h20 tank.
P=IV
Watts= amps (volts)
or if your heater is rated below 2000 watts (or whatever continuous rating the honda has) you're good to go.
OTOH charging your batteries with the main engine and heating your water at the same time aint a bad way to go....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 11:39   #22

Boat: Stevens 47

Thanks for the formula Cheechako.....just thinking with the generator, could also use the electric frying pan etc., and keep the hours down on the 2GM Yanmar.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 11:44   #23

Yeah, always a good idea. No easy answers... how many hours is the cost of generator, putting it away, dealing with gas, exhaust etc worth? You might want it anyway for a dead battery emergency though! Nice to know you've got backup!
I've found a water heater will stay warm enough about 24 hours for a shower. Probably less in Norther climes.
Make sure the exhust wont back draft into your cabin.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:44   #24

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
The EU2000i is kind of an oddity, to me. While it is portable, easy to start and incredibly reliable, it's just a bit too low on power to really be useful. You don't want to run one for an A/C or microwave even if it would start it, it's screaming it's little guts out. Even a good sized battery charger is too much for it.

If you want 2600w continuous, 3000w peak with electric start, then the EU3000is might be a good choice, but it's definitely a 2 man lift. The other choice would be 2 EU2000s in parallel, giving you 3200w continuous, 4,000w peak but you have to pull start them.

I love the Honda generators, but I don't own anything that a single EU2000i can run. I have inverters that put out more power, and plenty of battery.
Totally disagree here with you we have to owned several gennys and the honda is awesome. It would power up to a 12k btu ac system, more w smart start capacitor and still run 5-6 hours on one gallon of gas. A 40 amp 3 bank charger only draws 5-7 amps of 110 so yes it runs those too even larger chargers are fine on the honda. A 50 amp charger does not need 50 amps of ac its providing up to 50 amps dc .
And yes we ran ours dry all the time an interest and have never had a carb issue.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 19:47   #25

Boat: csy 37

i run my honda 1000 out of gas all the time. i use it to charge the batteries through a stand alone 12v 35amp charger. i put in maybe a quart of gas and just let it run until it runs itself out of gas. then i'm done charging. i keep the 1000 in my lazarette so i don't like to leave gas in it.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 21:22   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Most water heaters use a 1500W 120v AC element. We have a 12Gal water heater aboard and heat water almost daily using our Honda eu2000i.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 23:40   #27

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Which Honda Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i run my honda 1000 out of gas all the time. i use it to charge the batteries through a stand alone 12v 35amp charger. i put in maybe a quart of gas and just let it run until it runs itself out of gas. then i'm done charging. i keep the 1000 in my lazarette so i don't like to leave gas in it.
I guess if there was room, you guys would have retro-fitted a shut off from tank.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 06:43   #28

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Good info in this thread, will look for the bolts to replace them with SS.

I don't think running it dry will hurt it, but I always thought turning them off cut the fuel and that shut it down.

Ours is the companion. I plug it in to our 30 amp shore power and we can run our 30amp battery charger without it kicking in to high gear. If we run the water heater and the battery charger at the same time it's screaming but it runs just fine.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 07:16   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
If you're concerned about not having a backup 12v charger on the 30 amp unit consider just buying a portable 12volt charger that you can use with it.

On Amazon you can buy a 1.5 amp microprocessor based unit or a 50 amp dumb charger for around $50.
Kentobin,

Great suggestion provocation.... I quoted your post in a new thread...

Dumb battery charger for spares - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 07:19   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Good info in this thread, will look for the bolts to replace them with SS.

I don't think running it dry will hurt it, but I always thought turning them off cut the fuel and that shut it down.
Running them out of fuel is a hundred times healthier... Leaving no fuel in the tank is simply a big bonus....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda