Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 14:02   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Which Brand of Inverter?

The problem I'm running into is I can't find a 2KW or ideally smaller inverter that has a way to connect into the ships power system, all I have found have plugs only, I want a way to connect a 10Ga wire to it, then to a switch that will prevent shore power combining with the inverter, just exactly like I have with my built in generator, I want to wire the inverter just like I did the generator.
Anyone know of a brand that has studs I can connect to instead of the regular three prong plug?
I'm not interested in an inverter / charger, just an inverter.
I only need a few hundred watts, I want to be able to run a few AC only things I have on the boat, without having to crank the generator to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 14:14   #47

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

The inverter is easy enough to find, but the feeding and care of it, and ensuring it gets enough power from a big enough battery bank and cables, that's the really expensive part of things.
You are right but the comexities depend on the needs and the exisitng setup. At least in our case it was quite simple. The inverter sits 40cm from the main fuse next to the battery. But of course one needs big wires with appropriately crimped terminal connectors. I happened to have these tools but otherwise any chandlery can do that.

But of course we can't use the inverter like power at home. No problem to use a toaster, microwave or power grinder for a minute or two but two ladies with long hair and a 1500w hairdryer could draw the batteries down. So anything big that runs longer than a few minutes requires an engine to run. Happens very rarely so not a problem for us.

Anyway its nice to have the possibility to use big applances and tools should the need arise.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 14:22   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I want a way to connect a 10Ga wire to it,"
And the ampacity of a 10 AWG wire is going to limit the size of your inverter, even if your wire is only a yard long, to how many watts? Maybe 10-20 amps, depending on the voltage drop you want to suffer. So maybe a two hundred watt inverter?
Or did I get my math all wrong again?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 14:23   #49

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
The comment about charging devices was for the OP. Really these USB charging sockets are excellent.

If I'm not mistaken we have a Sterling Pro Power S 1500 pure sine inverter. Now that I looked it up I realize that we got it for next to nothing. We paid 180 euro for a brand new item. Seems these went for around 900 euro normally.
Oh nice, I was looking at that one. Yea, you definitely got it for a steal! I'm holding off now for the inverter to see what my actual needs are when we start sailing in spring. I just bought a Victron Phoenix charger for that reason.

A Plus that no one has mentioned about having separate units I that a standalone charger can accept different input voltages and hz. At least the option is there. A inverter /charger doesn't do that, at least non I have found.

For me at least, I need a charger more than an inverter at this time so... Viola

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 14:44   #50

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
A Plus that no one has mentioned about having separate units I that a standalone charger can accept different input voltages and hz. At least the option is there. A inverter /charger doesn't do that, at least non I have found.
Clayton power g3 combi does 45-65hz and 110-265v.
Our previous boat came with such a beauty but i have no clue how much the prhious owner paid for that.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 14:59   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
"I want a way to connect a 10Ga wire to it,"
And the ampacity of a 10 AWG wire is going to limit the size of your inverter, even if your wire is only a yard long, to how many watts? Maybe 10-20 amps, depending on the voltage drop you want to suffer. So maybe a two hundred watt inverter?
Or did I get my math all wrong again?

10 Ga on the 110V side, although it's overkill, I have it, and like oversizing wire.
2 Ga on the low volt side, total run about 6', inverter within 3' of the house bank. Gauge is again overkill, but I have 2 ga.

So what I'm looking for is an ideally a 1 - 2 KW inverter, that is capable of being wired directly to, I dislike the plug idea although I guess you can easily get 1,000W through a plug, but not 2,000W.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 15:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
10 Ga on the 110V side, although it's overkill, I have it, and like oversizing wire.
2 Ga on the low volt side, total run about 6', inverter within 3' of the house bank. Gauge is again overkill, but I have 2 ga.

So what I'm looking for is an ideally a 1 - 2 KW inverter, that is capable of being wired directly to, I dislike the plug idea although I guess you can easily get 1,000W through a plug, but not 2,000W.

You can get watts through the plug it's the amps that gets things heated up.. Take a hair dryer, most are 1500 Watt or more but the typical house bathroom outlets does just fine. But I'm not an electrician, just what I have absorbed working with my dad.

But I agree, I'm looking for the same as you, same size and installation. I have found the victron Phoenix inverters are wire up in the size you look for. I think the biggest 120v they make is a 1500w for about $700 on Jamestown.

Old 25-10-2015, 16:41   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The problem I'm running into is I can't find a 2KW or ideally smaller inverter that has a way to connect into the ships power system, all I have found have plugs only, I want a way to connect a 10Ga wire to it, then to a switch that will prevent shore power combining with the inverter, just exactly like I have with my built in generator, I want to wire the inverter just like I did the generator.
Anyone know of a brand that has studs I can connect to instead of the regular three prong plug?
I'm not interested in an inverter / charger, just an inverter.
I only need a few hundred watts, I want to be able to run a few AC only things I have on the boat, without having to crank the generator to do so.
a64,

What you're looking for is a stand alone inverter that has an automatic transfer switch (ATS) inside it. Most all combined I/Cs do have this feature. I KNOW you are not looking for a combined I/C.

There are two choices:

1. Get a standalone inverter without an ATS and buy a manual switch and install and use it. If you're away from shorepower anyway, it will almost always be on inverter, but you HAVE TO make sure you don't plug in to shorepower with it on inverter.

2. Find a standalone inverter WITH an ATS. On another boating forum I had this same discussion recently and IIRC Maine Sail said they now make standalone inverters with an ATS. I'll see if I can find that discussion. And, if I may suggest, you could do some Google homework yourself, knowing they do exist.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 17:36   #54

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

You can also do what I did, split the duplex outlets and wire one for the inverter and the other for the shorepower.
Take a look at the side of any USA style duplex socket and you will see where it can be cut for that purpose.
That way, shore cannot mix with inverter, even if both are electrically live at the same time.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 18:30   #55

I have a Kisae 55amp/2000 watt true sine I/C. Inexpensive, Works well and very good service when i needed it (See my previous posts on this site re Inverter issue). My only complaint is that the DC ground screw is way too small and it's difficult to access the mounting bracket once the wiring is in place. Otherwise works great.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 19:18   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
a64,

What you're looking for is a stand alone inverter that has an automatic transfer switch (ATS) inside it. Most all combined I/Cs do have this feature. I KNOW you are not looking for a combined I/C.

There are two choices:

1. Get a standalone inverter without an ATS and buy a manual switch and install and use it. If you're away from shorepower anyway, it will almost always be on inverter, but you HAVE TO make sure you don't plug in to shorepower with it on inverter.

2. Find a standalone inverter WITH an ATS. On another boating forum I had this same discussion recently and IIRC Maine Sail said they now make standalone inverters with an ATS. I'll see if I can find that discussion. And, if I may suggest, you could do some Google homework yourself, knowing they do exist.
If you wire the inverter to where you can only do one or the other then you don't need a ATS. Blue Sea makes a AC rotary https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...otary+Switchesswitch for this application. One side for shore and the other for inverter and off. When you are plugged in set it on shore when away put it on inverter. If not leave it on off. This way you can't blow the inverter by having the shore power back feeding.

Am I thinking this correct? It makes sense to me, but I've been wrong before.

Old 25-10-2015, 19:42   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
A unit that is a shorepower charger/inverter implies there is shorepower, in which case an inverter isn't going to be needed... .

Erm, it inverts when there's no shore power, and charges when there is shower power.

If it has power boost, it will invert even when there is shore power -- to make up the difference when the loads exceed the shore power connection.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 20:06   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
If you wire the inverter to where you can only do one or the other then you don't need a ATS. Blue Sea makes a AC rotary https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...otary+Switchesswitch for this application. One side for shore and the other for inverter and off. When you are plugged in set it on shore when away put it on inverter. If not leave it on off. This way you can't blow the inverter by having the shore power back feeding.

Am I thinking this correct? It makes sense to me, but I've been wrong before.
Yes, you're right. What you are describing is a MANUAL transfer switch. They make rotary and "straight" ones. They are used for inverters and for generators. a64 is looking for a standalone inverter with a built in ATS.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 20:23   #59

Well, here's a 300 watt inverter that can be wired directly. Don't know it but I know people like Morningstar solar controllers.

SureSine » Morningstar Corporation

But if the cost is not prohibitive for you, just get an inverter/charger made for marine use. You'll really be happier in the long run.

I'd pick the 2000 watt Victron inverter/charger that can be had for just over $1000. I've used Victrons in three boats over the last 15 years and been very happy. If you must, think of it as an inverter with a spare charger if your old charger breaks.You don't even need to connect shore power wires.

Or run both chargers to charge your batteries faster (depending on the battery type/banks size). Most boat's have a charger that is too small to put a proper load on the genset. The genset then wastes fuel and runs too cool idling along.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 20:38   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Yes, you're right. What you are describing is a MANUAL transfer switch. They make rotary and "straight" ones. They are used for inverters and for generators. a64 is looking for a standalone inverter with a built in ATS.
Ah, I must have missed that he wanted the ATS on it.. Great.

Tags
inverter