Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 21:15   #61

Re: Which Brand of Inverter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Ah, I must have missed that he wanted the ATS on it.. Great.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
no he wants a manual transfer switch "like his gen"

I'm pretty sure most 1000-2000 watt inverters have hard wiring. they may also have plugs, but probably have connections as well. just because it has a plug outside doesn't mean you can't also hard wire it. read the manuals.

although I don't know why he's looking for a 1-2k inverter then states he only needs 200w...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 21:29   #62

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
If you wire the inverter to where you can only do one or the other then you don't need a ATS. Blue Sea makes a AC rotary https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...otary+Switchesswitch for this application. One side for shore and the other for inverter and off. When you are plugged in set it on shore when away put it on inverter. If not leave it on off. This way you can't blow the inverter by having the shore power back feeding.

Am I thinking this correct? It makes sense to me, but I've been wrong before.
===

The rotary switch idea works very well. Mine is 4 positions: Off; Shore power; Inverter; and Generator. As you mention, that makes it impossible to back feed the inverter. It allows you to run anything on the boat from the inverter within the limits of your inverter specs and battery bank size - no special wiring or sub-panels required. No transfer switch is required either. However, it does make it necessary to turn things off that would draw too much power before you switch to inverter mode.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 15:46   #63

Boat: Hanse 348

Op here. The charger in my b oat is a 40a cristec.

Based on this info, should I now be looking at a combo i/c, or still using this charger and looking for just an inverter.

I have not heard of this brand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 17:14   #64

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

Based on this info, should I now be looking at a combo i/c, or still using this charger and looking for just an inverter.

If it works and isn't ruining your batteries, keep it. You will save money now by just getting a inverter to suit your needs. If the charger fails down the road replace it then with a newer better one.

This is exactly what I'm doing but the opposite, kind of. I'm getting just a charger now because I don't yet know what inverter I'll need. So I'll save money now and get an inverter that suits me down the road.

SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 07:45   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I found a 2KW AIMS that you can wire directly into.
RE switch, I used this one on my generator
Furrion 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch
Start generator it comes on line and there is a 60 sec delay in the switch to allow gen to stabilize, then it switches automatically to the generator. You don't have to do anything and there is no switch to throw etc. Shut down generator and it automatically switches over to shore power. The 60 sec deal is easily defeated if you want. Power cannot be paralleled, it's either shore or gen.

I'll probably use the 2KW AIMS with this switch, that way anytime I turn on the inverter, power will automatically be switched to the inverter, turn it off and power is switched back to shore power.

$67 and pure automatic operation, I like it so far, may carry a spare though, but it is just a simple relay, like what you have on your air conditioner at home
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 15:15   #66

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Start generator it comes on line and there is a 60 sec delay in the switch to allow gen to stabilize, then it switches automatically to the generator. You don't have to do anything and there is no switch to throw etc. Shut down generator and it automatically switches over to shore power. The 60 sec deal is easily defeated if you want. Power cannot be paralleled, it's either shore or gen.

I'll probably use the 2KW AIMS with this switch, that way anytime I turn on the inverter, power will automatically be switched to the inverter, turn it off and power is switched back to shore power.

$67 and pure automatic operation, I like it so far, may carry a spare though, but it is just a simple relay, like what you have on your air conditioner at home
Do they have a 50amp switch that you know of? And to be sure, it can be switched manually?

Edit: found it.

SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 08:54   #67

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I installed a magnum hybrid (their power boost version) on a boat and determined the power boost feature was useless on a boat. it would only work if the whole boat ran though the inverter. but nobody wires a boat like that.

IE your HWT and 2nd battery charger are running and drawing 20a direct from a shore bus. and you draw another 15a to an outlet through the inverter/charger. the boost is not going to kick in because it only sees 15a being used. but you just blew the 30a shore breaker.
I don't like it but many boats are indeed wired where the inverter has to be on and functioning to get AC anywhere on the boat. My new/old boat came that way with a Trace 2kw pure sine wave inverter. It is wired so the shorepower AC goes direct to it. And it will create AC from DC if the shorepower is not present. If you turn off the inverter, you get no AC anywhere on the boat. I have seen many boats wired like that. The automatic transfer switch in the inverter manages it. I don't like it because I don't want to have to have the inverter on (if it is broken say) to have AC on the boat from shorepower.

Just so you know this setup is out there. I will be changing mine with a separate transfer switch between the shorepower inlet and the inverter. Mine will be complicated since the PO also installed a second 30A AC inlet that is used to power an air con and a separate AC heater. There is a combine switch to put that AC to the other and I cannot have it on the same outlets/uses if the inverter is on. And I don't want the inverter to power the heater or the air con. Not terribly hard to figure out but it must be handled correctly. It was not a good setup anyway since the operator must take care not to combine both inlets when both are powered at the shore. I don't like the possibility of doing that at all.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 09:01   #68

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

I had a Heart/Freedom (pre-Xantrex) 2kw i/c on my previous boat but did not want to lose a charging function if the i/c went down so I got a separate battery charger as a backup. Not required but I knew that i/c's do go bad - all of them - at some point and it can take a while to get them fixed or replaced. A good charger is not cheap though. I really like the ProMariners. It should be a marine type, only, IMHO. And it should be sized for your battery bank size with smart charging technology. In a pinch you don't have to have that for very temporary use but somehow temporary becomes permanent and it isn't good for your batteries.

I would not want to have to depend 100% on an i/c, or any brand, unless I was somewhere where I could get it fixed when I didn't need it on the boat.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 18:32   #69
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to KAYLA-zkj

Hi Sir,

I am the seller of the pure sine wave inverter.

my ebay store is reliable power inverter.

if you are interested in, you can visit it and have a look.

we are selling the 300w to 4000w pure sine wave inverter. full power guaranteed.

best regards,

kayla
KAYLA-zkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 03:14   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Mine works the other way around -- it disconnects the generator, when shore power is switched on.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 03:59   #71

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Having lots of difficulties with mine. It uses about 0.5 amps even when i have the remote shut off

Working on it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 04:31   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Having lots of difficulties with mine. It uses about 0.5 amps even when i have the remote shut off

Working on it
Your Inverter? Which brand? I wouldn't be surprised if that .5 A is not just the power required to keep a relay closed or something, and there just isn't anything you can do about that.
I have no idea if mine has some "dark current", but wouldn't be surprised if it did.
Old 15-12-2015, 06:57   #73

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If the remote is lighted, this is probably your "dark current". Our Victron has ~0.5A until I turn the remote completely off (not just using it to turn the inverter off).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 07:32   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Magnum will not allow AC current to flow through it without it being connected to a 12 VDC source. I know this as I tried, and called them and they told me it won't, unit needs 12 VDC to function.
Therefore I assume a relay has to be held closed to allow AC current through, and I assume that requires current. Lot of assuming I know.
On edit, in other words you can't really turn the thing completely off, you can put the charger in standby and turn the inverter off, but the "box" is still alive, if you look there is a lit LED on the box that tells you it's operating mode by flashes, and there are two LED's on the circuit board that are lit still, when the remote and everything that you can tun off, is off. So this thing is drawing some power unless you physically disconnect it from the bank
Old 15-12-2015, 07:39   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Mine works the other way around -- it disconnects the generator, when shore power is switched on.
They can be wired either way of course, box doesn't know source of power.
Wired like mine is, there is a 60 sec delay from when the generator makes power and when it is connected to the panel, theory being to allow 1 min for generator to stabilize before it's connected. It's simple to disconnect this delay too, making the connection instantaneous, like if you had an inverter instead of a generator connected.

Tags
inverter