Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2018, 07:01   #106

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: Where to put gas generator when in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Killing yourself via CO by using a Honda generator is ridiculous, , surely common sense must come into play. How many are using Honda generators around the world? What percentage are dieing from Co poisoning? If you put them in the appropriate position then there is no problem,its really not that hard.

Regarding noise, they are not very quiet. I use one to make water once a week, I've several times got in my dinghy and rowed away to access noise, it's hard to hear from a couple of boat lengths, I've heard louder inboard gen sets.

Regarding storage. At anchor or short trips it sits under the dodger when not in use. Under passage it's drained and secured downstairs.

They are a great little unit and suited for subsidising electricity generation when needed while cruising.
You are right on about the common sense thing, I have seen the same arguments about the dangers of CO poisoning use against using propane instantaneous hot water heaters on boats and yet there are over 1000 Gemini catamarans sailing around with them and many thousands of other boats without folks dying. Unfortunatly common sense is not so common anymore.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 07:57   #107

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Leaving a small gas engine running all night while you are asleep? I think that you are taking a chance that some failure could cause a fire. Boats ... over time things go wrong. I wouldn't take that chance.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 09:38   #108

Boat: Scout 30

Here's something important for everyone running one of these on a boat to hear. I've had my Honda less than a year & the third time I ran it it was running rough when I started it. I decided to let it run hoping it would straighten itself out. I went inside for a few minutes & when I got back outside it had leaked quite a bit of gas & was sitting in a puddle of it. I immediately turned it off & moved it but it freaked me out. Because I had just bought it I took it to a nearby service tech who said the float was stuck by something so small that it was invisible. He cleaned the carburetor & charged me $25 because he said there must have been something in the fuel. If this had happened on a boat it could have been disastrous. I've since learned how to clean the carb myself & if my Honda is running rough I don't run it, I fix it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 12:23   #109

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

The Honda trash pumps on our fleet of assistance tow and other salvage boats all tended to have sticky floats if you didn't run them out of fuel.

My Honda 1000 still starts first or second pull, not a problem, no new plug and long overdue oil changes and is 20 years old. Bulletproof.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 07:38   #110

Most don't take care of their equipment , let alone a generator .
On my boat, Generator is tucked along side port engine .
Major generator service engine must be removed .

My generator has 259 hours Started often , just too keep parts moving & making coffee at sea . Shame , previous owner did not maintain anything.
A/C never used at sea, only at dock Never stay on hook
Kohler 5 E gas , Recently while running I saw a cloud of smoke coming from under deck
Stator grounded , closed just in time avoiding fire
Tech from generator shop checked out unit , After testing he said He would not fix
20 year old gas engine Kohler generators is old technology , rust bucket , crap
Parts hard too come buy . Total rebuild 7 thousand plus boats engine has too come out
He just got done installing a new generator , similar situation ,, cost was 14 thousand
Had too do a lot of fabrication with in boat for newer safety , wiring , muffler location
Was leaning towards a Honda 2200 for the occasional use, taking home when done
Making me nuts having a piece of equipment no operating in boat
Marine generator , level with cabin , in engine room , carbon could easily leak , and boater would never realize , Need a detector . Having a portable generator on rear deck is safer then running a old rust bucket gas generator inside engine room ,
I know me, I wont stay on hook , I rent a transient slip with dock side power ,
If I decided too purchase a portable, just too have backup ( boat & house ) it will be on rear swim platform, further away then engine room generator , muffler facing away from boat .
We all know anything in boating is expensive , & salt not kind too moving parts
QUESTION
why DOES marine generator use water .?
On mine it has heat exchanger having radiator with anti freeze
water impeller that pulls raw water , dumped out of gunnel
Is the water used for cooling at the same time aides in the reduction of carbon
mixed with water ??
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 07:49   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Water cooling has several advantages over air cooled. It’s much, much quieter as the water jacket is also a sound dampener, additionally it’s very easy to maintain a steady temp with the thermostat, air cooled is hard to fit an effective thermostat.
Plus an air cooled motor has to have a huge amount of airflow to stay cool. And that is tough on an installation inside of a boat, especially in an engine room where it’s not particularly cool to begin with.
I doubt mixing exhaust with water has much effect on reducing CO, it does of course drastically cool the exhaust and remove any danger of fires from the exhaust.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 08:40   #112

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The Honda trash pumps on our fleet of assistance tow and other salvage boats all tended to have sticky floats if you didn't run them out of fuel.

My Honda 1000 still starts first or second pull, not a problem, no new plug and long overdue oil changes and is 20 years old. Bulletproof.
In this case I had previously run it dry & drained the carb. Hopefully it was just a fluke & won't happen again but it's something to keep in mind. Quick question: is it possible for the float to get stuck when the unit is running?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 08:43   #113

Boat: Leopard 39

I haven't the time right now to read all the replies to this post, but my first thought would be what about other cruisers who anchor after you do, who are downwind of you? Frankly, I would not want to be breathing the carbon monoxide and other emissions from the Honda generator on your stern. If you're alone in a secluded anchorage, no problemo.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 11:39   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
In this case I had previously run it dry & drained the carb. Hopefully it was just a fluke & won't happen again but it's something to keep in mind. Quick question: is it possible for the float to get stuck when the unit is running?

Yes, had an old 53 Ford Jubilee tractor that had a rusty fuel tank and it happened all the time. Just rap on the carb with a stick or screwdriver would clear it.
You knew it happened when it ran like the choke was on, of course when you looked fuel was pouring on the ground.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator