Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 11:32   #61

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Where to put gas generator when in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I don't have one but if I planned to run my Honda more often I would buy a standing mat or more likely give these a try. https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Anti-Vib...VKPTPKVF3S6Z0V

I have used my high density cockpit cushion and it does the same thing.

edit: Or this looks like a good thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4HDQNF...f435f1091&th=1
Thanks! I think that would help in my case.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 02:32   #62

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

having delivered and cruised on cats for some 20,000 miles has given the opportunity to observe them in many conditions……..many cats sail around a mooring …… almost to become side on to the wind......the direction of the wind blown exhaust needs to be taken into account in those conditions…..
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 02:54   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

In my opinion these generators are reasonably safe if used with some basic care. Even quite safe if you put it out in the dinghy as many do. CO alarms of course, and don't run it when you're sleeping.

To my mind a much bigger problem is storing them when not in use. I kept mine in the lazarette which communicates with the main hull volume -- a no no, but I had no other reasonable place to put it. I shut off the vent and fuel tap and ran the carb dry, but there are different scenarios where fuel could leak, and cause a serious risk of explosion. That was the main reason why I got rid of mine.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:31   #64

I would fear wrathful neighbours as much as CO. You snooze inside with the AC on and they listen to your generator
dalemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:58   #65

Please don't use any generator at nighttime! It is very annoying for everyone around you!
Rick01541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:59   #66

Hi Guys, as most of us have experienced, the Honda Generator can be the bane of any anchorage disrupting sun downer gatherings and generally making unwanted noise. When they are used they pose a problem for everyone. That being said, for those electrically challenged vessels there is no option but to use the beast. Its use can be dangerous but always disruptive. Best case, use it mid morning but never during early evenings or at night.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 07:03   #67

Running a Honda 2000 all night will make you very popular with the other boats in the anchorage. Can that generator run all night before running out of gas?
Magiccruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 07:06   #68

Boat: Mariner 39' Le Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
People do die from these.

Consider some distance away, in the dinghy.
Not a good idea in the tropics, if it rains your RIB fills up with fresh water, no problem. Bye bye generator
Le Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 07:06   #69

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

I used a 1000 watt Yamaha for two years in the tropics to charge my batteries. I did not run it at night. But here is what I learned:
1. The exhaust is a fire hazard. It MUST be directed away from anything flammable. Cannot be run next to much of anything. Keep it high and in the air circulation.
2. Charging your batteries through a smart charging regulator, is a dicey business. These regulators taper the charge so much on large banks that it will take forever to get your batteries back to full charge while supplying your shore charger with AC. Invest in a battery monitor system and learn what is happening. Will save a lot of running time.
3. I kept my small generator covered in the cockpit and gas on the stern rail when not in use. It was a pain, but better than trying to use the diesel for charging. I would not store this below.
4. I often left the genertor running on the open deck and charged the batteries when I went ashore. Only problem was that that generator was so quiet that you could not tell it was running 2 boat lengths away. It had a light on it when it was running but was hard to see in the daylight. Running it on a rubber mat made it almost quiet on my boat. I sometimes had to go topsides to see if it was running if any wind was blowing.
FWIW/
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 07:13   #70

Boat: DeFever 41

I'd worry most about the venturi effect "sucking" the exhaust back into your AMAs if you have ports and hatches open. Wind/breeze blowing down the boat from bow to stern will create a "suction" on the interior of the boat as it passes open ports and hatches which can bring in exhaust fumes and CO in the process.

We experience that all the time when at anchor on our trawler. A literal wind blows in through the aft companionway hatch if there's any breeze at all and we have ports/windows and saloon doors open. We readily smell diesel exhaust when anchoring with the bow pointed into the wind before shutting down the engine - not all the exhaust is blown away from the boat. My guess is if you closed everything there wouldn't be a problem - you'd probably do that if you were running the generator and AC units.

I'd still be reluctant to do that (have the genset running on the swim platform or close to the stern of your boat).
BobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 07:22   #71
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Freak View Post
Not a good idea in the tropics, if it rains your RIB fills up with fresh water, no problem. Bye bye generator
Are you claiming it is just not possible to retrieve both within the first 6" of rain?

Risking your life to avoid getting wet, makes no sense to me.

If you **really need** more than a few hours, a few times a week, then IMO you need a bigger boat with enough ICE power gen capacity inboard
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 07:25   #72
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
Charging your batteries through a smart charging regulator, is a dicey business. These regulators taper the charge so much on large banks that it will take forever to get your batteries back to full charge while supplying your shore charger with AC. Invest in a battery monitor system and learn what is happening. Will save a lot of running time.
Yes a BM is a good idea, but no ICE powered charging will get a lead bank back to Full on a sailboat, that takes at least 5-7 hours per cycle.

You need ICE charging early in the AM followed by enough solar.

Or convert to pricey LFP.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 07:31   #73

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiccruising View Post
Running a Honda 2000 all night will make you very popular with the other boats in the anchorage. Can that generator run all night before running out of gas?
They are rated for 8.1 hours at 25% load. 3.4 hours at 100% (1600 watts).

New model is very similar 8.1 hours @ 25% load and 3.2 hours at 100% (1800 watts).

Fuel capacity .9 gallons US.
Old 16-11-2018, 07:44   #74

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
I'd worry most about the venturi effect "sucking" the exhaust back into your AMAs if you have ports and hatches open. Wind/breeze blowing down the boat from bow to stern will create a "suction" on the interior of the boat as it passes open ports and hatches which can bring in exhaust fumes and CO in the process.

We experience that all the time when at anchor on our trawler. A literal wind blows in through the aft companionway hatch if there's any breeze at all and we have ports/windows and saloon doors open. We readily smell diesel exhaust when anchoring with the bow pointed into the wind before shutting down the engine - not all the exhaust is blown away from the boat. My guess is if you closed everything there wouldn't be a problem - you'd probably do that if you were running the generator and AC units.

I'd still be reluctant to do that (have the genset running on the swim platform or close to the stern of your boat).
This is why I always point the exhaust to the side where it is carried away by the breeze. Although counter-intuitive I believe it is safer. Any breeze will will create a slight vacuum behind a pilot house, dodger or transom.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:39   #75

Boat: 18' Renken &24' Partybarge

Please be considerate of others around you, sound carries over water, to pull up anchor because someone else feels they have to run there generator to stay cool gets others hot listening to the drone all night or any part of the night after sundown, and if you can hear it all night means that you didn't sleep because of it. But you say you have a quiet generator (and yes Honda and Yamaha are quiet and I do have one but they are still make noise). Sorry if it were that quiet then people wouldn't hear it (yes the db ratings are pulled at low power pulls, you put a AC and turn it on and all those db ratings go out the window). Yes it is quieter then most others but it still makes noise. Piss off the wrong people and they might hook up a hose and run it right back into your cockpit or drill holes in the bottom of your boat. Its not that people are getting shorter fuses, the problem is people are being less considerate of others creating issues. We have so many ways to supply power today with solar and wind generators the storage is the important thing. Keep your batteries good and maintained and use equipment that is energy efficient, have a good understanding how everything works and you and the people around you will live more in harmony.
2wheelfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator